“Gasparilla Rocks”

Ranked #57 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
Greencastle, Indiana
“Gasparilla Rocks”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2011

I read the mixed reviews about this property and had some concerns before arriving. I had never heard of Gasparilla but flew in on that festive day. What an unexpected traffic jam that was. I called the hotel and one of the staff stayed on the line and talked me around it. That was a very positive opening experience for the hotel. I arrived about noon, met the lady who helped me with the directions, and prepared to check in. Five hours later I entered my corner suite. I was there five nights. It took three tries before I received a coffe pot that worked, two days before I got a bedroom light bulb replaced and my room wasn't serviced one day. To summarize, the rooms, while dated, are clean and the beds are classic Westin. The view is beautiful. The entire staff, from the front desk to the wait and cleaning staff, always went out of their way to be extremely friendly. However, on peak days, the front desk staff was short handed and the cleaning staff was still on the floor late into the evening. Physically, the hotel is past it's prime and needs renovated. Would I stay there again or tell a friend about it: yes. Would I recommend it to an important client: probably not. I did experience Gasparilla and would go back again just for that.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2011

After reading the reviews here, I was a bit worried about staying at the Westin, but the room was very clean and nice, and the bed was comfortable. Maybe I was lucky, but I never waited for the elevators going up or down. I would stay here again. We easily took the trolley or got a taxi to Ybor for dinner several nights.

florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2011

Stayed here with my husband for a one night stay for a Lightning hockey game. I purchased this hotel on Hotwire, that is why I gave a 4 for value, would have been a 5 but parking was $15 a night, or $20 if you valet parked. I can not comment on the food service as we did not use the restuarants. I was very hesitant as the other viewers did not have anything really great to say about this place. Location was fabulous. Staff was incredibley friendly. Room was very clean, bed very comfortable. With in easy walking distance to the St. Pete Times forum, Convention Center, and Channelside which is home to many nice restaurants. A very nice place to stay!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Greensboro, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2011

This hotel needs a second life. All the good will of the staff cannot replace the fact that it needs to be renovated. The third floor stinks, the staff (although nice) education lacks, and the food and drinks are basic.

• Stayed January 2011
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2011

I had a nice little stay at this hotel with my friends. I have only prefered Starwood hotels once I became the SPG with this chain. The big positive of this hotel was its location. The stay was really nice.
The only negative point about this hotel is the parking. The underground parking lot need some cleanliness and light..its so dark out..But overall, I will stay at this hotel if I visit that area again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2011

DO NOT STAY HERE! I just returned home from a 2 night stay at the Westin and there are too many horror stories to count them all! I was staying at the hotel due to a conference at the convention center, and the only good thing I can say is that it is within walking distance to the building.

I was staying with a group and we had reserved 17 rooms. There was an issue with every room! Whether it was being told there was no room ready for us, they lost the reservation, or BED BUGS (yes, I said bed bugs), it was the most unpleasant stay! The personnel there lacked basic friendliness and were often unwilling to help you with your requests.

While there is valet parking, this is probably because there is so little self parking. Especially since this hotel is great for conference attendendees, the hotel is often pretty full. There is not enough parking in their underground parking garage! Take note... Parking costs $15 per day, so add that to your nightly bill!

BTW, if for whatever reason you decide to stay here (you are better off sleeping in a cardboard box on the street), leave plenty of time to get the elevator. I had to wait 5-10 minutes (no exaggeration) each time to get one!

Do yourself a favor and stay away from this Westin!

1 Thank snoopyfan6
WestinHarbourIsland, Manager at Westin Tampa Harbour Island, responded to this review, January 18, 2011
On behalf of the Westin Tampa Harbour Island, please allow me to thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay at our hotel. The health and safety of our guests, along with cleanliness of our hotel is top priority. If a guest informs our staff of such a concern, we take swift action. We immediately place the room out of service and contact a nationally recognized pest control expert to inspect the room and take the necessary steps to address the problem. We conduct extensive training with our housekeeping staff and have an efficient daily inspection program in place to identify any potential issues in advance. We encourage our guests to promptly report any alleged incidents so we can quickly address the situation. Please feel free to contact me directly with any additional concerns.

Keith Smith, Rooms Director, Westin Tampa Harbour Island
tel 813.229.5000
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2010

This is rates as a 4 Star hotel, and my experience validated that, however, the recent TripAdvisor comments concern me. I stayed 2 nights (saturday and sunday) in a corner suite on the 6th floor. I am a light sleeper, and heard no noise outside my room, saw no room service or other dishes in the hallway, and had a very positive experience. The front desk staff were friendly and efficient. Parking in underground garage was complimentary. Free WSJ, USA Today, and local Tampa Tribune available. Free coffee in the morning outside the restaurant on the lobby floor. Large, quiet, comfortable, well lit seating area to read or relax on the lobby level. Small but useable fitness center with TVs.

As I returned to the hotel after a 5 mile run, the bell man offered me a bottle of water complimentary, something appropriate for a 4 Star hotel.

I have stayed at this hotel regularly for several years, and have always been satisfied. I am a Platinum Starwood Preferred Guest member, so I know Westin hotels well. This is a good one, and convenient to downtown Tampa. Plus, I scored a non-reimburseable rate of $116/night on the SPG website.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family