“This is NOT up to Westin quality”

The Westin Tampa Waterside
Ranked #64 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed May 13, 2010

I agree with all of the other bad reviews and with the exception of the bed (which was GREAT) this place was not good. The mirrors in the elevators were dirty, the pool elevator was smelly and was very much like a service elevator. The gym was extremely hot and made for a very uncomfortable workout - also was overcrowded - two of the five treadmills weren't working. I had to call for water cups. My room smelled like smoke and mildew.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,722)

Reviewed May 8, 2010

Spent three nights here at the end of April. Had bid on a 3.5 star hotel in downtown Tampa, and received this hotel at $55 a night. So after taxes, it was about $65 a night.

So at that price, this place was excellent.

Our room and bathroom were clean and decent. The bed was very comfortable. Some noise in the hallways and slamming doors, but that seems to be the case with any hotel. Excellent water pressure in the shower.

Yes, it's $15 a day to park, but it's downtown Tampa. The fact that you could take the same elevator from the garage to your hotel floor was a bonus.

You're close enough that you could walk to the Channelside area for dinner or drinks.

Overall, had a good experience.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SimonRufus
Reviewed April 28, 2010

Read the reviews--woudl not have satyed here, but company picked the hotel. Staff at front desk are nice enough, but the bell staff is useless. They will never speak with you unless you approach their little group at the bell stand and interupt their little male bonding session. They will treat you as if they can not get rid of you fast enough. Take your bags to your room? Wha?! dont count on it. Rooms are tired looking and carpets very warn. Of course the heavenly bed is a plus (love them) but the bathrooms are sad, the bland rooms are downright ugly, and the staff are clueless. No conceirge (some lame book on a desk for you to flip through). I visited other colleagues staying at the Marriott--Stay there. you will be happier there. Bright, and well appointed rooms with nice vibe to the hotel. Hands down I would have prefered (and you would to) to stay at the Mariiott--which is almost right next door to the Westin.

Reviewed April 21, 2010

I stayed here in 2007 and I remember it as a very nice hotel. I expected it had been kept up but it is not what you would expect a Westin to be. Like other guests, I was disappointed. There is an additional $15/day self-parking fee as well as a $12.95/day internet access fee so be sure to add that to your room cost. Breakfast is also not included. If you can get a better rate at the Embassy Suites nearby, stay there. It is a newer hotel, very well maintained, and includes a buffet breakfast and free internet. The Marriott which is also a block away is another option (until this hotel is renovated).

From the moment I walked into the hotel from the parking garage there was an unpleasant odor of moisture and musk. The elevators are worn, the floor tile cracked, the tiles elevator floors were filthy, and the wooded panel extremely scratched - a horrible first impression. Even the up/down elevator buttons in the lobby are heavily scratched. The up button does not light up.

The front desk attendant who greeted me was wonderfully kind and professional. This helped soften my disappointment. Check-in was quick. I was even allowed to occupy the room before check-in time which is welcomed perk and much appreciated.

The hallways carpets are worn, stained, and visibly torn. I have never stayed at a Westin with the common areas in such poor condition. The carpet in the lobby area was similarly worn and parts were torn. The furniture is dated.

The actual room (820) was a good size and had a view of the canal and part of Tampa Bay, in addition to overlooking the parking lot and garage. You could see the pool below which was extremely small and not what you would expect of a resort.

The kind-sized bed was comfortable. The linens were clean but also visibly well used. The bathroom had a granite counter and a basic shower/bathtub. The entryway and bathroom had a clean and light colored ceramic tile which was very pleasant. The toiletries were nice (not brand-name high end though) but I had to ask for shampoo and soap (which were missing). The bathroom had plastic wrapped cups but if you want glass there were two glasses with the ice bucket. However, the ice bucket did not have the usual sanitary plastic bag. When I asked for one I was told it was no longer provided which I found highly unsanitary. No bathrobes. The towels were fluffy, appeared to be relatively new, and clean-smelling. The bathroom was clean and the fixtures were shiny and worked perfectly. There was sign of mildew in the bathtub corners which could have been easily removed by the maid with Clorox.

The water pressure in the bathroom basin was excellent but the water pressure in the shower was so poor that I had to ask for an engineer to check the shower head. When I returned after dinner, the shower head had been changed and the water pressure was acceptable although not excellent. Again, the maid should have checked to ensure the shower head was clean and the water pressure adequate. The problem may have been with caulk build-up and poor maintenance/cleaning. Again, not what one would expect from what Hotwire and others label as the only four-star hotel in downtown Tampa. I deserves two starts at most (until it is refurbished).

The bedroom was spacious. The drapes were in excellent shape although visibly worn. The furniture was also well-used but acceptable (had this been anything but a Westin). The internet connection worked well. There were two plugs on the large working desk which were perfect to connect the laptop and the phone charger. The flat screen LCD TV worked perfectly and had an ample choice of channels. The carpet in the room was clean without any tears or stains. The did not have an unpleasant smell like the entryway, the hallways, and the elevators. There were an ample number of drawers and the closet space was normal but well lit. I liked the Starbucks coffee packets and machine provided in the room. There was also a working safe inside the closet for valuables.

Adding the extra costs to the Hotwire room cost, I should have stayed elsewhere, either at the Embassy Suites, Marriott, or the Residence Inn which are all nearby. The location of the Westin is excellent. Once it is refurbished it will be a superb place to stay however I would never call it a resort because the resort facilities such as the pool and gym are extremely small and dated.

1  Thank hilarionmartinez
Reviewed April 21, 2010

The Westin Tampa Harbour Island looks fabulous. From the outside it’s in a big fat great location, easy to find, has gorgeous views, and is within walking distance of prime local attractions including the Tampa Bay Lightning’s arena, Channelside and the cruise ship docks, and the Florida Aquarium. Then, you actually arrive. I want to know: whatever happened to a warm, welcoming lobby? The first staff you see here are valets who direct you to go inside, up an escalator or elevator and go left or something , to finally find the front desk somewhere in this cold, marble and chrome stiff atmosphere. I just hate the look and feel of it. Poor sight lines, anti-ambience, and a desk staff I am sure only looked like they were hiding.

This is a Starwood Preferred property. It isn’t cheap, and is upscale enough that we saw a well-known Fox News reporter checking in. After you check in, beware of little charges that keep right on coming. You do get a little in the way of perks, but give back a little more. Get three free daily newspapers including the Wall Street Journal, give 13$ per day to use the internet. Get a nice comfortable bed, give 15-20$ per day for parking. Get nice free coffee and that fancy “snacks locker” with 6$ Snickers Bars (only a slight exaggeration), but NO room refrigerator. I saw some in the hallway so I know they were available, but why should you have to ask?

And this REALLY annoyed me, since you don’t even pick it up unless you really need it: the most poorly printed least comprehensive set of hotel literature I have ever seen. Designed to look like spa advertising, the font was so light and flowery against a pale background it was unreadable.
No local phone book, no stationery, no nice stiff room service menu with black heavy type and a slightly greasy feel. It’s disheartening because I got all these things at a La Quinta in Trinidad, CO for pity’s sake: No free parking, No free internet , No free breakfast, No room refrigerator.

Not strictly the hotel’s fault, but two of my major hotel pet peeves reared their ugly heads while I was here, too.

1. Idiots that let their kids do anything, in this case letting a three-year old walk on the treadmill in the fitness center. First, clearly posted no one under 18. Second, do I even need to say it? It is a THREE YEAR OLD. On an adult-sized treadmill. Prediction (though it did not happen, at least not in front of us): she gets hurt. Then you sue, even though you were breaking both hotel rules and rules of common sense. The next time I stay here? No gym! Thanks, idiot.

2. Oh what I would not give to see a sign like this posted at any resort: You must be physically present to occupy a chaise lounge by the pool.
Why do hotels tolerate lazy inconsiderate jerks “reserving” these things with a beach towel or garment? Believe me when I say I hate doing this, but I will march straight to the manager if necessary and ask if this is accepted hotel policy, when he either says “no” or shows it to me in writing (he won’t) I’ll go back and boot your stuff the heck off of that thing, which you can’t occupy because you are currently sleeping or out eating someplace.

Other than the above, the hotel wasn’t that bad. The bed was extremely comfortable, the pool area well kept, and everything was generally clean. I didn’t find the walls too thin, like others have mentioned. The “cold” atmosphere was present in the bar and dining room, too. It’s a shame because the location really is great, with many places to walk. The service itself was fine. Hotels should feel like a “home away from home”, which is what they are meant to be. This one is kind of like a home where Mom does all those expected little things, then unexpectedly presents you with a big fat bill.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2010

We booked this hotel through Priceline and got a fair price. For what we paid per night it was a good deal. The hotel is not 4 star quality and not what I expected of a Westin property. There were many carpet stains throughout the hotel. Our room was relatively clean but you could tell they don't pay attention to details. The coffee items were not replaced the next morning. The "bar" refrigerator contained a few cans of beer and a few soft drinks and snacks that were way overpriced. The bar items that we used were not replaced either. Parking was expensive ($15/night). The staff were very accomodating and friendly. All in all it was okay for the price but I will probably check others before making a decision.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 17, 2010

Upon my arrival, I spoke with a young lady at the front desk she was pleasant, then things took a turn for the worse. I replied "how does it feel working in paridise" she looked at me with a stuned look, literally had now idea what I was talking about..another guest service rep tried to explain it to her what I meant, and her reply....I just work here. I asked if there was a concierge on staff, her reply we all work together at the front desk, we have no concierge on staff at all.....Oddly enough walking through the hotel lobby across from the front desk there was indeed a concierge desk with a suggestions book on where to dine....downstairs below the lobby is the front of the hotel, and valet. I noticed there was an automated touch screen with suggestions on what to do and where to go...it would not print, I asked for help from the bellman, he was a little distant and replied, the just fill it up, I cannot call them...never offered to assist in my request for information until I pressed him for info ont the island, he had no clue as to what I was taliking about. I mentioned this is my first time in Tampa, and he appeared as to not care at all...Beware of ANY questions you ask any of the staff here, they are un-responsive, distant, and have no sense of warmth or feel, as the Westin Brand specifically comes across as......

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo