“Good Location, Nice Lounge, Average Hotel Room”

Westin Tampa Harbour Island
Ranked #57 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Charleston, SC
“Good Location, Nice Lounge, Average Hotel Room”
Reviewed November 18, 2009

We stayed here in November '09 for a friend's wedding (off-site). The hotel is in a great location & has beautiful views. The staff is very friendly & the check in & valet staff were particularly excellent. We also liked the lounge off of the lobby for quick drinks & a snack. The rooms, however, are not nice. The walls are very, very thin & the bathrooms are quite small (and we were on the Starwood Gold floor). We could literally hear the guy next door coughing, and it felt like he was in the room with us. We were surprised -- the rooms are not up to par with other Westins. That being said, the rest of the hotel is nice & the view from the room was beautiful. All in, I would recommend this hotel if you get a decent rate & are there just for 1 or 2 nights.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed October 31, 2009

I have stayed here a few times on business trips, most recently for a few nights in October 2009. The hotel is nice, clean, and has good amenities. The rooms are big and feature flat-screen TVs and Aeron chairs. Internet access is not included in the rate though is available wired or wireless ($15/day). There's a small gym with treadmills, bikes, and some strength equipment -- nothing spectacular. It is nice to run along the water right outside the hotel, though, if the weather cooperates. The location is interesting -- Harbor Island is nice, and there's a good view of the water from many of the rooms and the common areas, though there's not a lot on Harbor Island itself. The office I need to visit for my business is within walking distance, though if it was elsewhere I don't know if the location would make much sense. There are only a few restaurants nearby, plus the Convention Center and the St. Pete Times Forum. If you're looking for a nice hotel, have a need to be in the Harbor Island area, and can get a decent rate, I'd definitely recommend it. If you don't have as much of a need to be right in this neighborhood, or if you are more cost-conscious, you may want to look elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Virginia
Reviewed September 26, 2009

The Westin is a decent property but certainly not as nice as some of the neighboring ones, namely the Embassy Suites. I stayed at Harbour Island with my wife and child for a conference and while we didn’t have a bad experience, there also wasn’t anything great to review. Our room was on the 12th floor which was the Starwood Preferred Level with an excellent view of downtown but the room was relatively small and the bathroom felt tiny. Some positives were that we received a free small stool from the hotel for my daughter to reach the sink, they fixed the in-room Starbucks coffee maker after it broke the first day, and during evenings there was a chef making free appetizers in the lobby. Negatives were the shower tub (dirty and poorly caulked), tv picture quality (HD tv with low-def signals, not good) and lack of refrigerator. There’s a great gelato place on the side of the hotel at Jackson’s restaurant, but certainly you don’t have to stay at the Westin to enjoy it. Some colleagues stayed at the Embassy Suites for a nominal extra cost and their rooms were much larger with complimentary breakfast and happy hour. Another reviewer stated that this hotel was not up to Westin standards and I would tend to agree.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
atl
Reviewed September 21, 2009

My teenager and I decided to tag along with my husband who had to go to the convention center all week, BIG mistake. Downtown Tampa has horrible traffic, it's dangerous (a student and a cop was killed that week), and there is nothing to do. Westin Harbour Island is a horrible hotel. They charge you for everything, parking, emptying the minibar......breathing. There is nowhere to store your items. The bathroom needs storage. The sheets and comforters had stains and holes. The floors are sticky. The room had a tiny refrigerator and no microwave. Could we have gotton one?? I have no idea but if we could it probably would have cost something. The maid was very nice but spoke NO english. I asked her for glasses and she handed me coffee. Don't get me started on the elevators....scary...as in horror movie scary. If you have to go to the convention center then stay at the Marriot. If you just want to go to Tampa, rethink it and just don't.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed September 11, 2009

We were supposed to stay at the Westin Tampa Bay Harbour Island but because of a bad case of the flu, had to cancel. The reservation clerk told me that we could not cancel, had to pay for the one night, and that we should have booked with reservations by phone instead of on-line because that was the only way you could cancel. He then stated that the on-line prices were good, but he could get me the same price if only I had called. I find this to be deceptive since the Westin, like other hotels, encourages you book on-line. My reservation was not through Expedia; it was directly on the hotel web site. I have never been treated like this before, and will not be staying at any Westin in the future.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Florianopolis, SC, Brasil
Reviewed September 4, 2009

The hotel was really dirty, with remains of hair from the previous guest all over the bathroom. The surfaces have not been cleaned for a long time judging from the amount of dust on everything. In the morning I told the guy from the front desk what my room was like and he seemed mortified by it and said that would send someone to take care of it immediately. When we came back by the end of the day they have not changed the bed (that I have specifically requested) nor cleaned the hair, or dusted the room. The carpet on the corridors was nasty. It is a shame that a nice, new hotel is kept in such horrible conditions. It was really disgusting. At first I thought I had bad luck, that the maid was in a bad mood and didn't clean the room very well, but when I saw that they did nothing after I have complained I realized that it is just a bad hotel with a worst housekeeping. After that I looked at the reviews on Trip advisor and it just reassured what I have concluded, it is not a good place to stay. Tampa has a lot of better hotels in the same price range. The hotel is very modern and seems to be new, what usually means that it might be clean. Unfortunately for me, that was not the case.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mariana N
Atlanta
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Not my first stay at this Westin and certainly not my last. Hotel is located on Harbour Island and is right downtown and a quick taxi to Hyde Park or Ybor. Not sure how old the place is but it's definately a little worn down. Escalator in the entrance is loud and squeaks, and in certain areas carpet is worn down or wall paper is slightly peeling. These little things didnt bother me at all because true to the Westin brand, the place is spotless. They keep everything clean and smelling fresh.

Service here is great. I am currently a Starwood Gold and was upgraded to a corner suite. All staffers were extremely friendly and courteous. They also serve complimentary sangria and hors d'oeuvres at 5pm.

Right next door is a riverside restaurant/bar called Jackson's that is an excellent place to dine/drink/party. In my experience, Fridays are the best night to go.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo