“Just say no to Harbour Island”

Westin Tampa Harbour Island
Ranked #55 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
atl
“Just say no to Harbour Island”
Reviewed September 21, 2009

My teenager and I decided to tag along with my husband who had to go to the convention center all week, BIG mistake. Downtown Tampa has horrible traffic, it's dangerous (a student and a cop was killed that week), and there is nothing to do. Westin Harbour Island is a horrible hotel. They charge you for everything, parking, emptying the minibar......breathing. There is nowhere to store your items. The bathroom needs storage. The sheets and comforters had stains and holes. The floors are sticky. The room had a tiny refrigerator and no microwave. Could we have gotton one?? I have no idea but if we could it probably would have cost something. The maid was very nice but spoke NO english. I asked her for glasses and she handed me coffee. Don't get me started on the elevators....scary...as in horror movie scary. If you have to go to the convention center then stay at the Marriot. If you just want to go to Tampa, rethink it and just don't.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed September 11, 2009

We were supposed to stay at the Westin Tampa Bay Harbour Island but because of a bad case of the flu, had to cancel. The reservation clerk told me that we could not cancel, had to pay for the one night, and that we should have booked with reservations by phone instead of on-line because that was the only way you could cancel. He then stated that the on-line prices were good, but he could get me the same price if only I had called. I find this to be deceptive since the Westin, like other hotels, encourages you book on-line. My reservation was not through Expedia; it was directly on the hotel web site. I have never been treated like this before, and will not be staying at any Westin in the future.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Florianopolis, SC, Brasil
Reviewed September 4, 2009

The hotel was really dirty, with remains of hair from the previous guest all over the bathroom. The surfaces have not been cleaned for a long time judging from the amount of dust on everything. In the morning I told the guy from the front desk what my room was like and he seemed mortified by it and said that would send someone to take care of it immediately. When we came back by the end of the day they have not changed the bed (that I have specifically requested) nor cleaned the hair, or dusted the room. The carpet on the corridors was nasty. It is a shame that a nice, new hotel is kept in such horrible conditions. It was really disgusting. At first I thought I had bad luck, that the maid was in a bad mood and didn't clean the room very well, but when I saw that they did nothing after I have complained I realized that it is just a bad hotel with a worst housekeeping. After that I looked at the reviews on Trip advisor and it just reassured what I have concluded, it is not a good place to stay. Tampa has a lot of better hotels in the same price range. The hotel is very modern and seems to be new, what usually means that it might be clean. Unfortunately for me, that was not the case.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mariana N
Atlanta
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Not my first stay at this Westin and certainly not my last. Hotel is located on Harbour Island and is right downtown and a quick taxi to Hyde Park or Ybor. Not sure how old the place is but it's definately a little worn down. Escalator in the entrance is loud and squeaks, and in certain areas carpet is worn down or wall paper is slightly peeling. These little things didnt bother me at all because true to the Westin brand, the place is spotless. They keep everything clean and smelling fresh.

Service here is great. I am currently a Starwood Gold and was upgraded to a corner suite. All staffers were extremely friendly and courteous. They also serve complimentary sangria and hors d'oeuvres at 5pm.

Right next door is a riverside restaurant/bar called Jackson's that is an excellent place to dine/drink/party. In my experience, Fridays are the best night to go.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Greensboro
Reviewed August 19, 2009

Contrary to the negative reviews, I found this place very nice. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the staff was exceptionally polite. The only negative I would say is that they charge $15 per day for parking, and the parking area which was in the basement stinks like garbage.

Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed August 17, 2009

We checked in on Thursday afternoon, 8/13, and left Sunday afternoon, 8/16 on a mix of business and pleasure. The hotel is getting rather shabby, and is in serious need of some renovation. Carpets are worn, elevators are scratched up and creaking and groaning, and overall the place is looking kind of drab.

We noticed as we got up to our floor that there was garbage in the receptacle next to the elevator. Probably wouldn't have even noticed it, except that there was a fruit cup there that we joked about grabbing for lunch. Friday, the garbage was still there, and growing. That evening, we mentioned it to the desk as we were walking out. By Saturday noon, the pile of garbage had overflowed the receptacle and was now accumulating on the floor around the elevators. We again mentioned it to the hotel manager. It was not cleaned up until sometime very early Sunday morning, after yet another call to the desk.

We stopped back in to the hotel after dinner on Friday evening before heading out to Ybor City for some nightlife. The valet asked us to leave our keys in case he would need to move the car. We came back down about thirty minutes later to find the valet was gone. With a call to the front desk we learned that they had sent the valet on delivery tasks up on the room floors, and were told we would just have to wait until he returned. After 30 minutes of waiting, by which time three other cars joined us waiting to check in, the valet finally returned and found our keys. No apologies, just threw our keys at us and ran off again.

Saturday, I spent time down by the pool. Access to the pool area is via a separate elevator from the main room-level elevators. While down at the pool, the elevator broke down, stranding myself and a dozen or so other guests in the area. The fire escape door was locked from the other side, and there was no way to exit the area. Several calls to the front desk later, a maintenance person finally showed up about 45 minutes later to let us out via the fire escape through the garage. Later that afternoon, all of the pads for the pool lounge chairs were removed, never to be seen again during our stay.

Starting Friday afternoon, the parking garage was overpowered with the smell of garbage. When mentioning this to hotel employees, we were greeted with shrugs and comments of "That's how the garage is sometimes."

All in all, it was a very disappointing stay. The hotel is definitely not up to Westin standards, the staff was inattentive at best, and at times rude, and the facilities are in need of some major attention. There are several other hotels within a block of this property that would be much nicer stays.

Macon, Ga
Reviewed July 28, 2009

Despite some of the reviews we read we still booked here in full faith of the Westin name. Upon our unexpected early arrival my wife had us checked in and got a free up grade to a bay view, corner room. My 5 yr. old grand daughter had her Westin Kids Club hat, rubber ducky etc.. all before the suv and 6 Barbie dolls were unpacked.
This is an older property, but it is very well maintained, (no musty smells). Our room was very nice. Not there long before she saw the pool, but we realized the bathing suits were in the one bag I left in the vehicle - a quick call to the conciere and 8 mins. later the girls had their suits graciously delivered. The pool was a welcomed retreat after our drive.
The staff members were extremely pleasant and catered to our every need. This was baby girls 1st Westin experience, but definitly not her last.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family