“Loved it. Had a three room suite.”

The Westin Tampa Waterside
Ranked #59 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed July 19, 2009

I am Starwood Platinum which explains the upgrade to a massive suite on the top floor. My suite overlooked the harbor and was just perfect. I only wish I could have stayed another day!

This is a wonderful hotel, located on the water and had every amenity you could need. I should also mention that the hotel staff went above and beyond. When we arrived, our rooms were not yet ready but the hotel allowed us to use another room to changes and prepare for an afternoon meeting. When we returned to the hotel, all our luggage was in place in our new rooms and in my suite. I really appreciated that!

One of my favorites!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed July 2, 2009

We went to Tampa the weekend of June 5th for a wedding and choose the Wesin due to being th ebest value for us in the City. We did not stay a lot of time in the Hotel however the time that we spent we loved everything about it. I was a bit worried about the previous comments, however I belive I have better things in Life than crying about the little things that others complained.
Price was right, room was clean and great, breakfast was on time and tasted great, front desk girl was very cordial and also the view from my room was excellent.
I wouldrecommend and goback to the Westin anytime that I am in Tampa.
ps: Love the smell of the Lobby!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GBL1
Reviewed May 26, 2009

I was aware of the mixed reviews for this property so I went in with open eyes. The room rate was much lower than neighboring properties so I gave it a shot but came away disappointed.

The positives: The location is great if you need to be near downtown, the convention center or the St. Pete Times forum. Harbour Island is quiet, safe and there are restaurants within walking distance. There is virtually no traffic at night so street noise isn't an issue given the proximity to downtown. The rooms are recently updated with flat screen TV's and luxury bedding.

The negatives: I knew this was a renovated property and an older one at that. However, I was surprised at the A/C issues that were mentioned by others. Every time the A/C would start in my room there was a fairly loud hissing noise. It was surprisingly loud and annoying. I was also surprised by the housekeeping and mechanical issues in the room - there was visible dirt/dust on the ottoman and side table (including a torn fingernal cuticle), the bedside lamp had an electrical short and several TV channels were not clear (local channels with static). Also, the single cup coffee maker came with packets that are typically used for full pots of coffee - they really didn't fit in the machine.

Parking is $16.00 per night which is probably typical of the downtown properties. Internet service is $9.99. Meal prices seemed typical for the area.

Outside of the housekeeping and A/C noise issues I wouldnt say this is a bad property but just not a very good one. There is a Marriott and and Embassy Suites within a few blocks that are both better - although you may have to pay a premium.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 24, 2009

If it was so awful the first time why did I go back?
Traveling as part of a group I had no choice. And since my room was paid for by the company, I figured even if it was terrible again, I'd find something to like.
Whatever the renovations were that they were doing last time in 2007, I have no idea what they were or where they are. The place is musty, dusty, dated, scuffed up and in dire need of a redo. No where near the other Westins I've visited.
The hallways are still dark, dingy and uncomfortably over-airconditioned. I mean really freezing - obviously very wasteful, in addition to being annoying. The beds are still not Heavenly, nor are the unseasonably weighty linens. At $20 plus tips, parking is expensive. Self-park is $15, so not much of a savings. Ridiculous.
The window in our room opened the first day - then broke. The repairman spent about 30 minutes trying to fix it, but said he could not - thus the musty smell worsened. Housekeepers are still poorly trained - and throw your pillows on the dirty carpet while they're making your bed. There does not appear to be a vacuum in sight. A big pile of crumbs on the carpet outside a service closet in the hall remained there for our entire four-day stay.
Room service is still mediocre and dirty trays lay out in the hallways for hours.
First night in, our TV did not have a CBS station anywhere on the dial, though one was listed as being part of the line-up. All I wanted to do was watch Letterman. Four phone calls later no one could help. The first two people had never heard of CBS. The next two tried to help - one offered to call engineering - then called back to say their "guy" had just gone home. (Would hate to have my toilet overflow at 3 am in this place!).
Next day the guy came, changed out some equipment - and all was fixed. But it took 40 minutes, and ate up my morning. As the stay progressed, some channels came in and out.
WiFi was expensive and the usual hassle. When will hotels learn - WiFi should be a given! Like turning on the tap. It should just be there. It shouldn't be a procedure or cost extra. It's part of everyone's life now.
The oddest thing about this hotel is the layout. Upon walking through the front door from the valet, there is no lobby or anyone to greet you. Instead it's rooms and rooms of dead ballroom space. To get around - you go up a flight to the lobby that looks like old office space. Up another flight is the 'gym' (which is a joke - not much bigger than a utility room), and down a weird side hallway is a special "pool elevator" - a super creaky beat-up service elevator that then takes you back DOWN 3 floors (tho it doesn't "say" that) - to finally - the pool: Small, not the least bit resort-like. Looks like an added-on-after-the-fact deck or any motel pool at the side of the road.
Most sadly the place is surrounded by beautiful waters, Bay, etc - but there' s no access from any of the public spaces. As difficult and uninviting as it is to get to the pool, getting to the docks and near the water means walking around the property. It's just bizarre to be in such a beautiful setting and be stuck in a building that not only doesn't open in the back - but does everything possible to keep you from what's out back.
Vow: Never again, no matter who's paying.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank RobertaAnthony
Reviewed April 2, 2009

I spent two nights at the Westin during a business trip to Tampa, and I'm glad I chose it. My room was quiet and clean, and the view of downtown Tampa and the waterways was superb. The staff I interacted with at the front desk were efficient.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 29, 2009

When I got to the hotel I asked the front desk clerk if they could upgrade me. To my surprise they did. I was very happy with this. They put us in a corner suite 1 bedroom, Living room, 2 bathroom. This is amazing to have. We stayed there for 3 night and had a blast. The people there were amazing and kind. The rooms was very nice and clean. The room over looked the harbor and pool. This was a nice location and close to all. I would go back if I am in the Tampa area again.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2009

We went for my 50th birthday celebration and to attend spring training . I am a platinum starwood and they upgraded us to a suite. this hotel is beautiful in an anonymous way, has an outdoor pool. It is very competent and well run located in tampa harbor.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family