“Good hotel, good price” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #55 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
Tallahassee, Florida
“Good hotel, good price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

Went to Tampa to see a show at the performing arts center. The Westin was fairly difficult to locate, and it would have been nice to have directions on the website, but once we got there, the hotel was very nice and in a good location. Our room had a great view and good amenities overall. My only complaint is the constant nickel-and-diming (parking fee, internet fee, etc.) that makes me want to just stay at a budget hotel chain with everything included. That's a problem endemic to the entire high end hotel industry, though, not just the Westin. It would have been nice to have better transportation options available, as well. There was supposed to be a flat $3-per-person taxi rate to downtown Tampa, but the valet staff steered us to an overpriced minibus service instead.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
WestinTampaHarbour, Manager at Westin Tampa Harbour Island, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Thank you for sharing your stay with us here at the Westin Tampa Harbour Island!
We are glad that you enjoyed the hotel and the location. Your comments about the additional charges associated with staying at the Westin and our valet staff are being shared with our management team so that we may improve upon those service for our future guests.
Thank you for choosing the Westin Tampa Harbour Island!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

This is a very nice property. We were here for a wedding the front desk and all of the staff were very helpful and accomodating. The restaurant next door - Jacksons was also very good,
Would love to stay here again bedding was heavenly and the pillows were awesome!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rriverav, Manager at Westin Tampa Harbour Island, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Westin Tampa Harbour Island while attending the wedding. Our entire staff is pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and the location of our property!
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stay at a LOT of hotels and happened upon the Westin Tampa Harbour Island by chance. I am now completely obsessed with the hotel and can honestly say it is one of my favorites. First-- the front desk team is amazing. Check in was quick and painless and as an SPG Gold member, they upgraded me to a suite.

My room overlooked the harbour with wall to wall windows. It was clean, nicely appointed, and my bed was HEAVENLY. I slept better than I have in a while.

I got a free drink coupon at check-in (and again the next night) and enjoyed a delicious drink at the bar. The bartender Paul was easy to talk to and made a great drink. The atmosphere in the bar was upbeat yet low-key.

The hotel had lots of little extras-- little caramels near the front desk, great coffee and flavored water in the lobby. Even the housekeeping staff made my stay a delight. The sweet lady cleaning my floor stopped me in the hallway to compliment my outfit and just made me feel like a million bucks.

My only complaint is the cost of parking--$17.00 a day. I think that's excessive.

The Westin made traveling easy. I am really looking forward to my next trip to the area and will always stay at the Westin.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WestinTampaHarbour, Manager at Westin Tampa Harbour Island, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Westin Tampa Harbour Island JustCallmeTourGuide!
Thank you for your loyalty to the Starwood Preferred Guest program as well. You loyalty is important to us. It is wonderful to hear that we were able to provide you with a complimentary upgrade, drinks and all the little extras that you had mentioned! Our entire staff is excited that you were able to enjoy your stay with us!
We hope to see you again soon here at the Westin Tampa Harbour Island!
worldwide
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

The good: Hotel personal were exceptional! Always present as floaters on the lobby level. My heart goes out to them as they must have extra training and practiced in dealing with a constant barrage of complaints. Also the restaurant was the one exception to the hotels condition.

Let me tell you how the story ends. My bill was slipped under the door with an attached letter which stated “we’ve heard you loud and clear” with a list of remolding projects scheduled for the months ahead. The ironic part is I never complained about a thing. This letter apparently goes out to every guest with the bill. Nobody likes BAD surprises and that is what this hotel delivers in spades. Why not say on the hotel website that it is undergoing improvements. Then offer a discounted rate for those who would trade a great rate for the condition of the property
If you have a car I want to warn you about the signage. Once you are underground and veer to the left for hotel parking don’t stop in the first area that indicates hotel parking. Pull all the way forward until you see the hotel elevators. If you park where initially indicated not only will you be as far away as possible from the entrance but you may get confused and enter the elevator area that services the office building.
Upon arrival and entering the elevators I noticed the buttons were worn to the point where you have to look carefully to determine which button gets you to the lobby. The entire elevator cab was way past needing refurbishing. Check in was fine but you then have to take a parking pass back down to the garage which is a strange way to deal with parking since you also have to take a ticket. Never had to do this in any other Westin or Sheraton. The elevator ride down to my car was worrisome because of the strange noises and actually made me worry that it might be a hard landing. Whenever I rode the elevator with other guest there would be comments made about the elevator and one repeat guest said they had been like this for years. The elevator woke me up in the morning and I learned that one is turned off until 6am to prevent disturbing guest. What about guest who sleep past 6 am?
The room itself was also just marginal with the shower tiles missing grout in some areas, rust stain running down from safety rail, black (mold?) growing on the caulking that had been used in maintenance. I had to take the toilet paper roll off the holder because it sagged towards the floor which made it difficult to dispense. Next to the holder was a hole in the wall exposed where the screw had been from a previous maintenance attempt. Some of the room’s walls had been touched up with a paint brush where it could have been easily painted with a roller so it didn’t look like a botched job with mis-matched paint. Even the back of the entry door needed a good cleaning. I checked in at 4:30 and it looked like the hallways had not yet been vacuumed based on the amount of lint and small particles lying around.
Platinum Starwood members don’t expect the automatic upgrade as none was offered or given. There is no club lounge but they do offer a free drink in the lobby bar. They have a platter of food but provide only plastic plates and napkins. Try eating asparagus, olives, roasted squash or cuts with a napkin.
No matter where I looked I saw deferred maintenance. It is just unfair to let a property get to this level and then begin improvements. Given the condition of the hotel I only stayed one night.

Room Tip: If you must stay at this hotel request a room as far away from the elevator bank as possible
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank livesinhotels
Greeitngs livesinhotels,
Thank you for providing the collaboration of events that took place during your stay that demonstrated a less than adequate Westin experience. The personal interactions and connections we create with our guests should leave them feeling inspired and rejuvenated. We sincerely apologize for not allowing you to reach your potential during your stay and we would like the opportunity to speak with you.
The Westin Tampa Harbour looks forward to hearing from you soon!
nj
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

Just returned from Tampa. The trip was for a conference with the Westin being one of the hotel choices. I have stayed at several Westin hotels and other hotels in the Starwood brand.
In terms of location the hotel is in walking distance to the convention center. The service was good at the front desk and valet. The only service complaint was with housekeeping. One day they left our door open and some days did not come until after 5:00.
In terms of the hotel it is okay, but ready for an upgrade. I would recommend for a conference, not vacation.

• Stayed June 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for choosing the Westin Tampa Harbour Island for your convention cheetah72!
Our entire staff is pleased to know that you found our location convenient and the front desk and valet staff up to your level of expectation! We apologize for the service that you found not up to standard and would be happy to speak with you about your experience. Please feel free to contact us about your most recent stay!
We look forward to hearing from you soon!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel more than 20 times over the last 2 years as a frequent business traveler. The location is great and the staff continually goes out of their way to accomodate requests and make the stay as efficient as possible. The rooms are large and the location is great for going out as it is very near Channelside. The pool and gym are bit dated but the hotel is taking the requisite steps to modernize the aforementioned and spruce up the common areas. Consistent Service and a great value for a property that is on the up-swing.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for choosing the Westin Tampa Harbour Island. We hope that if your travels bring you back to Tampa that you come back and visit us here at the Westin!
Maple Grove
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Westin during my convention. The view of downtown Tampa and the convention center was great over looking the harbor. Some of my peers stayed across the harbor for $90 more per night! All of the staff at the Westin were great and acted promptly to all of our requests. We were within walking distance to many great restaurants and the walk way along the harbor. Jackson's Bistro was our favorite.
We also rode the trolley just over the bridge to Historic Ybor City. When we go back to Tampa, we will definitely stay at the Westin.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for choosing the Westin Tampa Harbour Island for your convention Tom P!
Our entire staff is pleased to know that you and your wife enjoyed your view and the location of our property!