“Wonderful location for wedding”

The Westin Tampa Waterside
Ranked #62 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed December 9, 2007

We held our wedding and reception at the Westin Harbour Island on 9/29 and we know first-hand that the service at this hotel is top-notch. We chose the location because of its proximity to downtown (guests could explore using public transportation and we even took advantage of this for our rehearsal dinner at the Columbia in Ybor) and we loved the fact that we could have an outdoor wedding by the water (but not deal with the sand fleas). It was such a wonderful experience! Jenni and staff made our whole day go so smoothly. I didn't have to worry about a thing. The location is so beautiful with the water views, boats, and large oak trees - our wedding photos look like they came out of a magazine. Our room was spacious, modern, and very clean. All guests commented on what a wonderful time they had. The older reviews on this site really do not apply anymore. After the Westin took over the property and began making improvements, it has truly become a different hotel. We were able to see the changes as they progressed since we had to meet with the wedding coordinator and decorator several times throughout the year.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,709)

Reviewed November 20, 2007

We stayed at the Westin on 11/18 before my husband had outpatient surgery at Tampa General Hospital although I was a little apprehensive after reading some of the other reviews. The hotel was perfectly located for our purposes, easy to access from the highway and Harbor Island is lovely although very quiet. It is a five minute ride to Ybor City if you feel like some evening excitement. We found the refurbished hotel to be very clean and the staff friendly and accommodating. We also found the small outdoor pool to be charming, offering a small bar and a beautiful view of the harbor. We have definitely been in plusher Westin's but the room was a good size and had all of the Westin amenities available. A definite plus was the single serve coffee maker along with the ample supply of Starbucks coffee which was very welcome at 5:00AM the next morning. It definitely is a businessman's hotel but it suited our purposes just fine, as did the Tampa General Hospital discount which we appreciated a great deal. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sanibelle1
Reviewed October 26, 2007

I was very nervous about booking a room at the Westin due to all the bad reviews it has received. After much indecision, a friend and I ended up booking a room there for a conference only because our other options were sold out. After our four day stay at the Westin we were so glad the others were sold out! The Westin provided complimentary shuttle service to and from the airport and it was just a short walk over the bridge to the convention center. We had a room on the 12th floor with a great view over looking the water and downtown. The heavenly beds really are heavenly! Our room had been totally renovated with duel shower heads in the bathroom,a nice flat screen TV and Starbucks coffee in the room. I would stay there again just to sleep in the heavenly beds! The staff was very helpful with directions and suggestions on things to do around town. The Westin appeared to still be completing some of its renovation work in the lobby however, the hotel was very clean and nice. We would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank Kcabr
Reviewed October 17, 2007

After reading all of the poor reviews I have to admit that I was extremely apprehensive about staying at this hotel. But, much to my pleasure the hotel was completely renovated the rooms were kept nice and clean, which is extremely important to me, and the cleaning staff were very accommodating. All of the decor and bedding was obviously pretty new. My husband loved the HUGE adjustable television. They also have Starbucks coffee in the rooms, which I loved. The only complaint I had was having to pay for wireless internet in the rooms. It is $9.95 a day and that is really unheard of now a days! Other than that, the hotel was very nice. Don't be afraid to give it a try! I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank txresident4
Reviewed September 2, 2007

We had a great stay at the Westin Tampa Harbour Island. The hotel is located in downtown Tampa near the convention center and the St. Pete Times Forum. It's pretty easy to get to, just off I-275 and down a few streets in downtown Tampa.

The hotel is actually a renovated hotel and the renovations are coming along nicely. Everything was very clean and felt very new. You could tell the elevators were a little older, but they were very clean and very fast. Our room was outfitted with the usual Westin amenities including the Heavenly Bed. Our room also had a widescreen LCD TV, which was also very nice.

We ate at the restaurant downstairs which was also great. It cost us about $50 for two people with appetizers and entrees.

The other nice thing about the hotel was also that they allowed our dog at the hotel. They charge a $50 fee, but it is nice being able to take your pet into the room with you without having to board it.

The staff was also very friendly and responsive. Overall, we would highly recommend the Westin Tampa!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2007

The Westin was one of four choices for a convention. Westin hotels have always been known for their high quality. Unfortunately, this was not the case in Tampa, FL.

I had a roommate and she was not allowed to provide her credit card with mine so that the charges could be split in advance as I was going to depart one day before her. I had to check out first and then add her credit card to the account.

On our first night there, my card did not work in the weight room. After going to the front desk and getting a new room key made, I later realized that this canceled out my roommates room key as well. So, we had to go back to the front desk and get all new sets of keys made for the both of us.

One morning we were coming down in the elevator and we got stuck between floors. We were unable to get the doors open, even though they were open two inches. Luckily, there was a man in the elevator with us who was able to push the doors closed so we could continue down. Later that day, there was an "out of order" sign posted on that bay of elevators.

On the fourth night of our six night stay, the internet didn't work in our room and I had a deadline to meet for the office. After the tech was in our room for two hours trying to figure it out, he proceeded to tell us that we would have to move into another room for the remainder of our stay if I wanted to use the internet. The newly refurbished room had the interent wires inadvertently cut when the carpet was installed.

When I went to the front desk to discuss the issue, no one was manning the desk. The girl who was supposed to be standing there was across the room getting a chair massage.

We were eventually moved to a room down the hall and realized that this room was actually "smaller" than the one we were in. I called to the front desk and told them this would not do and requested to be upgraded to a suite for our further inconvenience. Of course, they didn't offer it up to begin with. I also told the manager that the least he could do was to pay for our dinners as well as the internet service for our inconvenience as we missed our original dinner plans and evening of entertainment. Again, I had to ask for it...they weren't offering anything. The manager asked the girl behind the desk to give us a coupon. She hesitated and said that we could just charge it back to the room and they would take it off our bill later. I told her I had no guarantees and said that I wanted something in writing, to which the manager on duty finally pulled out a card and wrote out the coupon himself.

After we were settled into our suite, I turned on my computer. To my dissmay, the interenet didn't work in their either! We were tired and hungry, so after dinner, I went to the front desk and requested the tech to come and fix the internet. It was finally repaired and functioning around 11 p.m. that night. This all started a little after 4:30 p.m.

The day I checked out of the hotel, the man behind the desk couldn't figure out the computer system to split the bill in half, along with our room service charges. After he had to call someone from their IT department, they finally split the bill. However; after arriving home, I received a phone call from my roommate and was informed that two people came into her room that afternoon, as the hotel gave her room away. They checked me out and thought that the room was again available to others. After her husband called the hotel, the manager on duty and the front desk manager came to her room and offered to pay for her last night's room charges.

The next day when she checked out, the bill that was under the door was my bill again, not hers. She went to the front desk and worked with the person behind the desk to rectify the issue. They were having trouble putting her name on her half of the charges, as she needed it for her expenses.

My roommate instructed me to check my credit card statement to make sure they didn't charge me again. When I checked my current charge activity, I was outraged to see that I was, in fact, double-charged for my hotel stay. When I called the hotel, I was told that they could only see one authorization, not two. Upon my continual efforts, they were finally able to find the second charge and are going to credit me in 5 - 7 business days! I don't understand this when they are able to charge something to the credit card and it shows up the very next day.

The escalators are not fully functioning yet at this hotel as they continue to do their refurbishing. This is an inconvenience as you have to go up one floor to get to the lobby and front desk. So, we were left to take the elevator, if you didn't get stuck in the meantime.

Also, while we were there, the fire alarm system went off. The day I called to dispute my charges, the fire alarm system was blaring in the background again. They told me that they were getting it repaired.

I absolutely do not recommend this hotel. It is, by far, the worst experience I have ever had. Better quality and customer service can be found at a less expensive hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank jstoff
Reviewed June 22, 2007

I stayed at this property for several nights in late June. I can understand why there may have been some bad reviews of this place in the past, but the renovated rooms that I stayed are a sign of good things to come. At this time, they have only finished renovations to their top floor. As a Starwood Platinum member, I was entitled to one of these rooms. The room was so perfect that it felt like I was one of the first people to set foot inside it. The furnishings are stylish, modern, and comfortable - just what we have come to expect from any new Westin property. The large flat panel tv was mounted on a swiveling base so I could point it towards the desk or bed, depending on where I was in the room. There was also a nice view of the channel from one side of the floor.

I really liked the location of the hotel. It's on Harbour Island which is very close to downtown. The area is really pleasant with walking access to some restaurants that are right on the water in the Knight's Point area. It was good place to take a walk during the warm Tampa evenings. Because it is on an Island, you have to know which streets will go over a bridge to get you to the hotel, but that's nothing that can't be solved with some online mapping.

The staff did a great job while I was there. They were always friendly and efficient. And when I realized I forgot my toiletries kit at 11pm, they gave me all the free toiletries that they had available and gave me directions to the nearest 24 hour convenience store so that I could buy the rest.

The only reason I didn't give the hotel an excellent rating is because the renovations are not complete. Most the lobby looked like it had been remodeled along with the restaurant/bar. But there are still a few areas that are under construction. There were notices apologizing for construction noise which would be limited to some daytime hours. Since I was never at the hotel during this time, I don't know if this noise was actually significant. One of the nights the high-speed internet was not working in my room. The hotel sent someone up to test it right away. They couldn't get it fixed, but they were apologetic about it. In contrast, I also stayed at the Sheraton Suites near the airport a few times and I found that hotel to be poorly managed and run-down in comparison to the Westin - and it cost me more money! For any SPG members with status, the Westin Harbour Island is your best bet in Tampa since you will probably get one of the nice rooms. Once the hotel renovations are complete, it will be a great bet for anyone.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business