“Solid Choice”

Ranked #51 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Fairfield, Connecticut
“Solid Choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

For my money, any review of this hotel has to start with the exceptional friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. From the desk clerks, to the bar tenders, wait staff, housekeepers, maintenance guys, lounge staff and even the random employee encountered in the hallway, everyone was just a pleasure to deal with. My sons and I spend a long weekend in the area every year for an annual Spring Training Weekend (Go Phillies, Go Yankees). Over a number of years we've stayed at various places, and this year we voted the Marriott the best in a long while. We'll be back next year. I also come to the area several times a year on business and this will be my new go-to place. Very nice patio and pool area, good bar for sports serving pretty good food. The rooms are quite small though, including really small bathrooms (kudos to the engineer who managed to design the bathroom door to just slip by the toilet). Rooms were clean, though, beds comfortable and everything you need. I"d prefer that the lobby Starbucks stayed open through the day, but I imagine they've done their analysis and it probably isn't cost effective. Likewise, it'd be great if they offered bar service out on the patio. Nice title, well equipped gym too, and the location is convenient to everything. We liked it

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Arabic first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

The customer service here was amazing. I felt the value in every penny I spent for my room. The view of the city was also beautiful. The only downside is that the walls are very very thin and I could hear everything . I'm deinfitly looking at other hotels this business owns because the customer service if great

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Allentown
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

A very average place at a highly inflated price. Prepare to be nickle-and-dimed if you do stay...like a $12.00 charge for wi-fi (yes, NO free wi-fi in this day and age!) and a $6.00 charge if you are desperate enough to open one of the bottles of water left in the room. There was no refrigerator . The place seemed to have a lot of business travelers, who were no doubt on company expense accounts and not too concerned about the cost. If you are spending your own money, I think you'll want to find a better value.

I arrived here without a reservation because a family emergency made it imperative that I get off the road and find a place to stay. At the desk, i was advised that the place was "full" but there was a room with a pull out bed available (a pull out bed??) at a very high price. When I said that this was absolutiely not acceptable, and turned to leave, the desk clerk went back to the computer and found a room with a real bed (at an even higher price). Since this was an emergency and I did not have time to try another place, I accepted. When I asked about AAA or AARP rates, the clerk told me these were "not available" because the hotel was full. Ca-Ching!

After I had located a luggage trolley, brought it to my car, loaded it, and gotten it into the lobby, the bell staff broke off their conversation and one of them members drifted over to ask if he could help. It was a bit late, so I waved him off, saving a $5.00 tip (5 bags@ $1/bag which I usually tip for any kind of service) Friendly staff and convenient location do not balance the cost of this place. My room was average and undistinguished, and a bit on the small size by US Standards for rooms in this price range.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else where the value and attitude toward guests is better.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
MarriottWestshoreGM, General Manager at Tampa Marriott Westshore, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Mr. M from PA,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am sorry to hear that you had a family emergency that brought you to our hotel. Our staff takes great pride in exceeding our guest's expectations and I am sorry that we were unable to meet your-or our own expectations. You’re a valued customer and everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent experience. That being said if you are every returning to the area please do not hesitate to contact me as I hope to have the opportunity to provide you with a better hotel stay that I know we are capable of.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

This is our second time staying at this hotel for Yankees Spring Training. Staff is extremely accomodating and friendly. Rooms are basic but clean, pool area is great. Very convenient to tons of shopping, less than 10 minutes from Raymond James Stadium and Steinbrenner Field. About 20 minutes from Clearwater. Would recommend to anyone wanting to stay in the area but stay at a nicer hotel than your basic Courtyard/Hampton/Holiday Inn.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Oregon City, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

The best features of this large hotel were the friendly and accomodating staff, the shuttle service to and from the hotel, and the mattress on the bed. However, the room was so small that it made relaxing or socializing with our friends difficult. We could hardly navigate around our 2 large semi unpacked suitcases in the room. The bathroom was nice but even smaller.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
MarriottWestshoreGM, General Manager at Tampa Marriott Westshore, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thank you much for your review. I am very happy to know that the staff took good care of you during your time with us and will be sure to pass on your positive comments. I am sorry that you were disappointed with the size of the rooms. I did want to let you know that we have a few executive king bed corner rooms at the hotel that are larger and have a balcony. If you are planning to return to the hotel please feel free to contact me so we try and get you into one of those larger rooms and ensure you have a satisfying stay.
Macon, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

I traveled here for business recently and while the hotel is kept in good condition the rooms and bathrooms were very tight. For the price I paid, I expected a much better room and more than a standard three piece motel like bathroom. The shuttle service is very convenient to get you to local restaurants, shopping and the Tampa airport. My favorite part of the hotel were the shuttle drivers who enjoyed making the guests laugh. Overall, not a place I would return unless the price were to be in the mid 100's. Definitely not a mid 300's hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
MarriottWestshoreGM, General Manager at Tampa Marriott Westshore, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you so much for your review on the hotel. I am very sorry for your disappointment with the bathroom size and set up but am glad that you found the condition to be good. Our staff enjoys taking care of our guests and I am glad you found this to be true during your interactions with them. If you do plan on returning to the area please do not hesitate to contact me if I can assist you in any way.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel in the past, generally to attend and/or speak at a conference. The hotel staff always performed well and the restaurant was quite good for a hotel restaurant. Locations was excellent, right on the water with a number of large vessels tied up essentially outside the door.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business