“Solid hotel for the area”

Tampa Marriott Westshore
Ranked #53 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Old Town, Florida
“Solid hotel for the area”
Reviewed January 14, 2008

This hotel is solid. I've stayed here a few times, most recently for a Christmas Party dinner (didn't want to drive home inebriated). The rooms are on the smaller side, but work for a night or two. Bed is fairly comfortable. Some work could be done on the bathrooms (minor peelings here and there) but nothing horrible.

The location is good, and if you can get a decent price it's a pretty good deal. On site parking has never been an issue for me. The hotel is down the street from the International Plaza (upscale mall) in one direction and in the other direction you'll find the Westshore Mall (with movie theaters, food, etc.). LOTS of hotels in this area and if you're a Marriott Loyalist this is a good hotel.

Right off I-275, easy to get around, and often times the hotel runs specials for "park and ride" for the airport.

• Liked — Breakfast is very good. Nice bed.
  • Disliked — Smallish room, view of freeway.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Arabic first
New Jersey
Reviewed January 10, 2008

The Westshore Marriott is a nice hotel, what you would expect from a Marriott. It is across the street from a Strip Club but generally the neighborhood isn't bad. It is near the airport and within walking distance of two malls but thats about it. I stayed there for a football game so it was close to the stadium which was good for me.

The hotel has a nice pool which, despite claims, was not heated so even though the weather was beautiful there was no swimming, The conference area was being renovated but did not impact my stay. There is a restaurant/bar with fairly expensive drinks. The rooms are a little small but nice. A highlight was a LCD TV with actual HDTV channels.

• Liked — HDTV in room, comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed November 20, 2007

If you are a Marriott loyalist, this wil do the job. I'd rank it somewhere in the lower middle on the Marriott scale. City location near airport (but this is not the Marriott on the airport), is convenient to mall, etc. I found it pricy for Marriott--and beware they crank up the price whenever there's something going on in town and the hotel is full.

Housekeeping likes to turn down the air conditioning to full cold even in November. Your room will be freezing cold when you return and there's no heat.

• Disliked — air conditioning
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank G4gene
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 21, 2007

The only reason I gave this hotel 3 stars was bad housekeeping. Everything else was great.

Very nice for a business traveller. Room had plenty of electrical outlets and I could plug in laptop, phone charger, blackberry charger, and hairdryer all at one time without crawling around behind the furniture. Work desk was comfortable. Had trouble getting a wireless connection at first, but the phone tech support was great.

This was my first visit to Tampa, so I can't comment on the location. Took the hotel shuttle from the airport and the driver was fantastic -- helpful, friendly, etc. The next day, I had 2 hours between meetings and he took me to a local mall and came back to pick me up.

Problems with housekeeping. I returned to the room around 3:00 in the afternoon and it hadn't been cleaned. Room service breakfast dishes still there. Front desk said 4:00 pm is their cutoff for cleaning, which seems a bit late. They sent someone right away who seemed irritated, but at least they took away the dishes. Someone else in our group never did have his room cleaned. He spent the night with dirty dishes and received a discount on his bill. Maybe they were having staffing problems?

Restaurant downstairs worked well for a business lunch. Service was quick. Room service for breakfast was right on time, food was good, servings were generous for a reasonable price (approx. $12). There's also a coffee bar in the lobby where you can get a very quick breakfast (bagel, prepackaged cereal, etc.) for about $5-6 and skip the slower restaurant if you're running late for a morning meeting.

Overall, a great hotel for a business trip. Hopefully, they'll resolve the housekeeping issues.

• Liked — Business facilities
  • Disliked — Inefficient housekeeping
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Tea_Olive
Stow, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 5, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott Westshore for 2 nights in late June 2007.

This was our second stay at the hotel - the last time was in February 2006. The hotel rooms have been renovated since that time, and now have flat screen TVs and the new Marriott bedding.

This hotel is predominantly a business hotel - not a resort. It does have a very nice indoor/outdoor pool and plenty of umbrellas. The wireless internet access is free in the lobby and in the pool area (great for working by the pool!) -- but you do have to pay for access in the rooms.

Everything was clean, the staff was friendly, and they do have a shuttle to the airport (and free apples at check-in). I'd stay here again.

• Liked — Comfortable, reasonable rates
  • Disliked — Far from personal event we were attending
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheImproperBostonian
Dallas, TX
Reviewed August 4, 2007

I often stay in the Tampa area for business and have a usual hotel, which was booked full. Since I am a loyal Mariott rewards member, I decided to stay at the Westshore Marriott.

I stayed at this hotel for 2 night for business on July 24 & 25. The check-in process was easy and they gave me a room on the 4th floor. I went up to my room, which was directly across from the ice machine room and vending machine room and I silently hoped that it wouldn't be too noisy.

The room was bright with a large LCD TV, two double beds (I requested 1 King), a chair and a small desk area.

I immediately put my suitcase down and went to the bathroom. I was horrified when I lifted the toilet lid and there was a pubic hair and some feces on the toilet seat!!! I was running late for a dinner date so I just ignored it and put the seat up and hovered to do my business. I also noticed that the mirror in the bathroom was dirty, it had water splashes all over it and other personal items (like nose pickings!!)

Then I left, went to the front desk and told the manager about the toilet. He apologized and asked if I wanted another room. I said No, because I was running late for a meeting... but asked him to have someone clean the room.

The next day, AGAIN there was some brown juice on the toilet seat after housekeeping cleaned it. I think it runs down from when they clean it and put the lid down...still, it makes me wonder what they are "cleaning" it with to produce that brown gook.

My time spent in this hotel was brief, but I have to say that it didn't feel like a Marriott. Nor did it feel like a $200 room. The door fixture that lets you crack the door but not open it all the way was falling off of the door. So, if someone tried to break in my room, that stopper was no good, it would just fall on the floor. I tried to tighten the screws, but the holes were stripped. I am a female traveling alone, and I did NOT feel safe at all. I felt like I was staying at a 2 star hotel in the ghetto.

My only other gripes are that there were no parking spaces late at night and it is not in a good neighborhood. There is no valet parking, so I had to park illegally. The hotel is not in a good area of town and right across the street is THEE Dollhouse-- a strip joint where I saw many drunk guys strolling to and from. Also the internet was $10 a day, which is too much. I am used to staying at Marriott's which provide free internet.

I will not be staying at this hotel again, nor will I recommend it to any of my colleagues.

Stayed June 2007
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 15, 2007

I stayed two nights for business in Tampa at the Marriott Westshore and was extremely pleased with the remodeled interior, comfortable beds, and quality linens. The cool lobby is refreshing when you step in from the muggy Tampa heat--there are comfy sofas to sit at and a Starbucks in the lobby. The front desk clerks were friendly and effecient and said hi to people walking by in the lobby.

My room on the third floor was well appointed. It was a handicapped room, so tthe shelves in the closets were at waist level, and the bathroom had a walk/roll in shower rather than a bathtub. The king bed was supportive with a pillow top and light down comforter. Sheets were high thread count. The flat screen TV worked well and added to the rich feel. The desk was large. Toilletries were high quality Bath and Body Works and also included mouthwash! Iron and Ironing board provided

Wireless internet access was free in the lobby and worked well. I could not get a wireless signal in my room. The wired interent worked well in my room, but the cord was very short and I was pretty much restricted to having my computer on the desk. It was 9.95 per day.

My room was directly across from the elevator and I could occasionaly hear people talking in the hallway.

Room Service was on time for breakfast and the staff friendly and wished me a good day. I had dinner in the hotel restaurant. It you your average hotel restaurant with average to slightly above average food.

The pool was a salt water pool and contained both indoor and outdoor areas.

Overall, I'd stay at this hotel again wihout hesitation.

• Liked — Comfortable Beds! Lots of Pillows
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business