“Absolute worst place in Tampa”

Sailport Waterfront Suites
Ranked #17 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Every single time my husband or my family Has stayed here it has been problem after problem. My husband usually stays here one weekend out of the month for military training. first problem he had sail port inn's tried to check him out a week early. arrangements and payment were made in full for him to stay there for 2 months due to training. instead of trying to resolve the problem they did nothing he ended up staying his last week on base. second time he stayed with them they claimed that he stayed another night and charged him with another nights stay which is impossible because the night they charged him for he was already home 2 1/2 hours away. it took about a month but finally reimburse for there mistake. Third time my husband myself and our 4 children stayed with them for family week they were having problems with their Air conditioning unit after being in a 90 degree room for 4 hours they decided to move us to a new room on other side of the building only to be put in a room where guess what the air didn't work in there either so we were moved to another room yet again... when calling the front desk to let them know of the problem we were treated as scum like it was our fault their air conditioning system wasn't working. worst customer service i have ever encountered! the lady behind the counter has no people skills to seriously use that tone and to talk to a customer like they are and idiot is a big no no. next day comes time to check out myself and my four children went to the office to turn in room key and check out my oldest says mommy im hungry i said i know baby mommy is working on it ill get you breakfast in a min. the manger being there over hears her comment and says you were the one that had all that trouble yesterday had to move rooms a couple of times? I said yes so he takes us to the "grocery side" of the office tells me to pick out a couple breakfast sandwich's and drinks it will not be charged to the room this is for yesterdays inconvenience. so i pick out 2 small bacon egg and cheese sandwich's with chocolate milk again i check with the manger before leaving the office and everything's fine. 2 months go by and my husband goes to his uta for this month only to be told that he owes sail port in $20. 09 he calls to find out what the charge is they tell him its from the family weekend stay and its for grocery when talking the the person at the front desk on the phone they said they had talked to the manager and he said he had followed policy by charging it to the room . why the hell would you tell the customer this is complimentary for the trouble of having to move rooms then go and charge the customer 2 months later?? I strongly suggest anyone looking at this place to stay find somewhere else!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank jbell239
General M, General Manager at Sailport Waterfront Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Thank you for your most recent feedback regarding your stay with us at Sailport. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience regarding the unit air conditioner. Being a condo hotel each unit has its own central air-condition and heat.Even with all the regular preventive maintenance we perform we still can not predict when the unit will stop working. I was made aware of the accidental charge to your account from the convenience store complimentary items and a reversal of charges was performed right away. Please contact me directly should you have any questions or concerns. Here at Sailport we pride ourselves with our OUTSTANDING QUALITY and SERVICE so when we get an out of character review like your I want to assure we make it right for you. Thank you for your business and remember you will always find the lowest rates possible at Sailport.com

There are newer reviews for Sailport Waterfront Suites

Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

My son and I were in the area for a baseball tournament and had to catch a flight the next morning early so decided to stay in tampa. Found Sailport by accident and glad I did. This is a unique all suite property and literally every suite over looks the water. My son had fun fishing and playing volley ball. Rooms have stocked kitchens but we didn't have time to utilize it. My wife and I will plan a getaway for a weekend before the kids go back to school. They transported me to the airport complimentary that was also unexpected and I was very thankful. Hotel is spotless and surrounded by a great restaurant called whiskey joes.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed at the Sailport for 2 weeks in March this year. We were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary and so emailed the hotel to request a special room. Not only we were allocated one of the best location rooms, we received a bottle of wine and anniversary card from the front desk staff.

The location was great and the views wonderful.

The room had been refurbished and was very clean.

The cleaning of the room was very good and though not daily, more than frequent enough for our stay.

The pool area and grounds were very clean and well kept.

We felt secure at the hotel and the security on the gate ensured only people with parking permits were allowed in.

We only used the free shuttle to Whiskey Joes one, but were pleased with the efficiency and speed of collection - a special mention goes out to Lord Randolf! Thank you for the American accent lesson! Your British accent and singing voice was very impressive!

All the staff were so friendly and made us feel so welcome and our stay so special - so much so we will be returning for our 11th anniversary next March.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sjpmkp
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed there on our wedding night July 4th and loved it!! We booked a two room suite and a one room suite. The rooms were beautiful and spacious. Our family had a wonderful time watching the fireworks from the pool area. The view from our balcony was spectacular! The staff was very well trained and helpful. Thank You!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely love this place! The staff was helpful and courteous! The room and view was breathtaking! The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. The kids loved waking up and eating their breakfast on the balcony. Already booked our next stay within an HR of being home! See you in 8 weeks!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My husband and I decided to tack on a few extra days to ourselves after a 60-person family reunion. This hotel was a great price and now I know why! Rooms were very dated and the bedroom was in the front of the unit with a window facing a common outdoor hallway to all other units. The living room couch was as if we were sitting on a fake couch. Very rigid and uncomfortable. The bedroom barely had walk around room and only one 2-drawer dresser could fit in the room with the bed! Kitchen was great if you wanted to keep things in the full-size fridge and well stocked with dishes, etc.

Internet was available but there were lots of complaints from hotel guests about it not working.

I do want to give a shout out to all the staff at the front desk. Extremely polite and accommodating. Couldn't have asked for more personable help. Ownership should be exremely proud of their training.

This is a great place for families on a budget, but not for a romantic get away. If you are accustomed to the Westins, Hyatts, etc, I would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Recommend you ask for the 4th floor -- lots of families at this place with loud kids running around...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed at the Sailport Waterfront Suites on the recommendation of a friend from Tampa. Eventhough i only stayed for 2 nights the 1 brm unit was perfect for my needs. The room was clean and quiet, and the bed was very comfortable. The view from my balcony was amazing.
The staff were very pleasant and helpful, never too busy to answer any questions that i had. Free Wi Fi in the room made keeping contact with family a breeze.
There are restaurants close by, but also others within driving distance. As the resort was very busy when i was there, sometimes finding a car park was a little bit of a challenge.
I would definitely like to visit again, and would not hesitate to recommend this accomodation to family or friends.

Room Tip: Rooms with an ocean view are best
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo