WINNER WONDERLAND

“Nice location, affordable, wifi is horrible!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sailport Waterfront Suites

Sailport Waterfront Suites
Ranked #18 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
“Nice location, affordable, wifi is horrible!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

We chose this hotel because the suites had kitchens, it was affordable and the location was central to the attractions my family wanted to see while in Tampa. Here are the pros and cons.

Pros:
Good price
Great views, awesome sunset
Convenient location, 20 min to Clearwater, Busch Gardens
Nice pool and grounds
Full kitchen
Laundry room (coin operated)
Game Day BBQ cart in the parking lot had great food

Cons:
Housekeeping only comes on the 3rd day of your stay, which is fine, however when you need trash bags, tp, extra towels go to the front desk and get them yourself. A couple of times when we asked they said someone would bring them up and never did.
We saw 2 large cockroaches during our 5 night stay in the room...umm gross..but we just kept our food in the fridge or sealed up tight.
The store in the lobby is a complete ripoff. Bring your own laundry soap (I got those Tide pods and they were ok going on the plane) and snacks.
Ask for a renovated room ( a tip I got from another reviewer on here)
The front desk seems understaffed.
Also Michael was not helpful at all. My son was carsick in the rental and when I asked home for some cleaning supplies and paper towels he handed me a wad of napkins and told me I could buy cleaner and paper towels in the store. Thanks a lot. I hunted down someone from housekeeping who kindly gave me a bottle of cleaner.
Another issue I had is that when I booked the room the person on the phone told me we could get the shuttle to take us to the Airport at 6am but then when I asked the front desk they told me it doesn't run until 7 am, no exceptions.
The wifi is HORRIBLE. They shouldn't even advertise that they have it since it seldom works and when it does let you on be prepared to get booted off repeatedly.

Overall it is not bad if you don't need Internet and you are on a budget.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank E O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

I hate to even leave a review, because it's a mixed review. I was happy overall with the room we stayed in the 2 bedroom suite. Here's is where the review goes BAD. My family and I stayed her April 21st and checked out April 22. I'm a mother for 4 children ages range from 1 to 17 years old. Any way we thought we had everything packed up or so we thought. Something was left behind, it just so happened to be my 17 year old's blanket, she has had it since she was born. Yes I take blame for it being left behind, but where I place blame is on house keeping for throwing it away and claiming they never saw it. I have talked several times to house keeping and each time they have made me feel like I was losing my mind and that there was no way I left it. This is something that could never be replaced. So heed my warning, DOUBLE CHECK, BEFORE CHECKING OUT!!

Room Tip: Get the 2 bedroom suite!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Cape May New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

First trip to Tampa Bay Florida. Got this room for view, price and proximity to attractions. It was a. good choice. Nice convenience store opened 24 hours. Garage parking. Small beach and pool.Close to mall, restaurants, casino. Close to Clearwater. Hour to Disney world.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank jodar21
Albany, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

We recently held our Q1 Mindshare at the Sailport Waterfront Suites. This is a two day event that our group does twice a year in different locations. Boy, were we glad to find the Sailport for our Tampa event. Nick was our coordinator at the hotel and he made sure that we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. All of our members had rooms with full bay views. These rooms were incredibly spacious and comfortable and we had no complaints from our guests. The Sailport catered our breakfast, breaks and lunch in and we enjoyed our meals on the pool deck which they closed off just for our private group. There are no private restaurants onsite, but there are several really good ones within walking distance. We loved our dinner at the Rusty Pelican, which you can see from the hotel. They only have one conference room, but it is ideal for groups of twenty or less. We were so pleased with the value that we received from start to finish. Take a chance and actually enjoy your work for once!! We certainly enjoyed mixing business with pleasure. Thank you, Nick and Waterfront Suites

Room Tip: Loved the fact that almost all the rooms have a bay view!!! You can't go wrong!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

We had stayed here in a triple room in 2012 and had enjoyed the relaxed environment and really liked the 2 bedrooms and 2 baths. So we booked the same room on the same site in November for our spring break in March. When we arrived we were told we didnt have a 2 bedroom and that the hotel staff didnt even know what a "triple room" was. (I assumed triple meant 2 beds and a pullout?) I asked how a 1bedroom could be called a triple and how they expected 4 of us to stay in 1 bed. they were completely not helpful and very rude. (the front desk asked me how much I had paid for the room to see if I deserved a 2 bedroom) After having no luck with the front desk, we called the booking site (DHR.com) and asked for help, either get us a new room or a different hotel. They were also completely unhelpful saying that we were in the room we booked and too bad, we already had paid so there was nothing they could do for us. So 3 of us had to share a queen (as they didnt reserve us a crib even thou we called a week before we arrived to reserve one) and my brother with arthritis was forced to sleep on a couch. Add in the chain smoking thats allowed at the pool, terrible internet, and front desk/housekeeping refusing to give us more than 4 towels (even thou they only clean the room every 3 days) we had a terrible trip.

Room Tip: make sure you dont book a "double" or a "triple" room as the hotel doesnt use th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Linsae C
General M, General Manager at Sailport Waterfront Suites, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your most recent stay. Booking directly through Sailport.com or calling the hotel directly is the ONLY way to assure you get exactly what you want. I am sorry your 3rd party booking provider did not properly educate you on the configuration of our rooms. There is no such room type as a triple here at Sailport. We have 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, and a Deluxe studio Suite. One bedroom and Two bedroom Suites have a queen size pull out sofa sleeper the Deluxe Studio Suite has 2 full Queen size beds without the sofa sleeper. There is not a 3rd party booking site that knows the hotels better than the hotels themselves and you will always find the lowest rates at Sailport.com or calling the hotel directly.
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

I am currently taking radiation treatment for cancer in Tampa and needed temporary housing for eight weeks. I wanted to be around happy people and this is the place! The staff goes out of their way to fulfill your every need. Starting with Mike Viola who located the exact room we wanted in the location we desired followed up with great service from housekeeping, desk and maintenance staff. How many hotels have you stayed at for 8 weeks and felt sorry to have to leave. We are already planning our "vacation" at Sailport next year.

Room Tip: Look for the rooms overlooking the beach.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ontario, canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Sailport Waterfront from March 23 to April 4. Overall, it was a very good place to stay. Check in was very fast and the location of this hotel was excellent. It was waterfront with great views of the bay and swimming pool.
The kitchen was complete with utensils and pots and pans. Nice flat screen TV and free internet(which was spotty at times).
We didn't get to use the pool until the last day of our vacation. It was warm and very nice. Every day, the pool was full of children and a few parents. Even after dark...you could count almost 20 people in the pool. It definately got a lot of use, but after seeing so many little ones in the pool...It lost it's appeal for me to take an evening swim. By morning though, it was sparkling clean again.
I would say that I would stay there again, mostly for conveinence sake. If you wanted the beach, you would have a good 25 to 35 minute drive, but for the Tampa Airport, you were only 3 miles away.
Would recommend.