“Great value for the dollar.”

Sailport Waterfront Suites
Ranked #16 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Sailport resort is an ideal place to stay if you are looking for a quiet, nice, clean place in Tampa Bay. With one bedroom suites, all equiped with balconies, full kicthens, flat screen TVs and comfy beds this is a best buy for the money. In addition all rooms have a Bay View. Staff are friendly and responsive. Internet is free as is the parking. There is a nice pool area and a man-made beach area. The public areas are outfitted with comfortable chairs, volleyball court and firepit. You can watch the sunset on the Bay.

This property is about 10 mins from the airport and 20 minutes from the cruise port. A fancy resturant (Rusty Pelican) and a casual one (Crabby Bill's) are within walking distance. Other resturrants are within an easy drive. The resort has a shuttle for guest use, with a small fee.

If you are flying in, grab a cab and have them stop at a carryout for snacks, wine etc. There is no store nearby, although there is a small shop in the lobby for forgotten items.

Room Tip: As these are all privately owned units, ask for a unit that has been renovated.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,950)

Reviewed September 13, 2012

My husband and I just had out wedding here last Friday evening. Aside from stressing out about weather or not is was going to rain, everything was perfect. We had 12 other people with us last weekend and they all expressed how nice it was. The rooms were clean, very spacious, and if we didn't have something we needed, they brought it to us.

Christina and Mandy were my heroes of the weekend, From the set up to the tear down. I couldn't be happier that I choose Sailport Waterfront Suites to have our wedding. We had it out on the Patio, with the Bay in the background, with the sun setting. Then had dinner catered in on the same patio. All I can say is WOW!

They even helped us with transportation the next day to get to the Port for our honeymoon.

We can't wait to come back soon!

Room Tip: Room looking over the Bay
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
David F, Manager at Sailport Waterfront Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2012

Congratulations! We are so glad that we were able to be a part of your special day. Thank you for the great feedback. Sailport is all about our outstanding customer service and we couldn’t be happier that you choose us for this wonderful occasion. We would love to have you come visit us again. Maybe you’ll be able to celebrate your one year anniversary with us, but we’d love to have you back sooner though! We can’t wait for the pictures. Once again, congratulations!

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We paid $100 a night and let me tell you, you get what you pay for. Stained carpets, a stained couch, unusable bunk beds, and stained AstroTurf on the balcony. There is no beach! It is a glorified sand box placed in front of a body of water that you cannot use. The bay is surrounded by rocks that you are not permitted to climb over. The bay is off limits.

We were in one of the "nicer" rooms and it was very skeezy. If I were a college student who didn't give a crap about my surroundings and wanted to party, this is the place. This is not a place for families. The pool is very small, and reminded me of a public city pool(characters included). No thanks.

Give an award to the photographer. The pictures are very misleading. I would have hired this photographer for my wedding! Do not be fooled by the photo's.

My husband wanted to do something very special for me and our kids and was taken in by the photo's and misleading description. He is heartbroken that it turned out so badly. It is beyond unscrupulous to trick people in such a way.

We checked in and checked out within 1 hour. The desk clerk didn't even ask why. That speaks volumes.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
12  Thank Meridith E
Reviewed August 28, 2012

The 80's called... They want thier room decor back.

So, on the website the place looks impressive. in real life, not so much. First off Tge place is massive 220+ rooms on 3 floors. It is right on the water. Website picture shows some sand, cool colored Windsor chairs and tropical hut umbrellas on what I thought was going to be a beach. It's not. There is no swimming allowed. It's a sea wall made of boulders. The door to my room had a gap between it and the frame by about a half inch. Easy passage for bugs and the like. The furniture was from the time of Duran Duran and Madona. (see photos) having the "office" area was a plus, but the chai was so low it made a 6 ft man look like he was sitting at the big people table at Christmas dinner. Having the kitchenette was a plus. Full size fridge, stove, dishwasher, and micro. Unfortunately it was not equipped well. A few glasses, 2 little pots, cutlery etc. good enough to wa stuff up or make eggs n toast king of cooking. The first 2 nights of my stay were billed at $87/night the other 5 at $161/night for the same room because of the Republican Convention. Nice. Nothing like taking advantage of a situation. No restaurant on the property. No ameneties that i could find. I'm not sure why they call this a resort. It's an extended stay hotel/motel. If you ever get bored here you could always pop o movie into the VCR!

• Stayed: August 2012
4  Thank squirtlapenna2014

Thank you for your most recent feedback. We value all of our guest’s comments. At Sailport our guest’s satisfaction is number one. We have spoken with our maintenance department and have addressed your concerns with them. We are also in the process of a complete renovation including a brand new furniture package for our rooms, flat panel TV’s, new flooring (carpet/tile), and upgraded rooms with wrap-around counter tops. The first phase of our new furniture package will start in mid-October. We are also in the beginning stage of adding a waterfront bar and grill. We are very excited about all of the changes going on at Sailport and we would love to you have back to experience these changes. If you’re looking for relaxation we recommend utilizing our massage services or one of our morning yoga sessions. Try your hand at fishing as fishing poles are available at the front desk or a fun game of volleyball. Sailport truly is a gem on Rocky Point and we would hope that you would give us another chance and visit us the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

We checked in at the Sailport Suites on Saturday morning and were pleased to find our room very neat, impressed with the view and balcony. We were only staying for the night and checking out Sunday morning. Just as we began unpacking there was a knock on the door and a maintenance man said that he had been sent to our room to fix our balcony door. We had a busy weekend planned before the RNC and not much time to get our things situated. We were a little annoyed that the front desk didn't let us know that he'd be stopping by (normally if we weren't in such a hurry it wouldn't have been an issue, just obvious the man did not have a key and we were to be the ones allowing him in the room to do the immanence work). So we checked the balcony door and it appeared to be in normal working condition and called the front desk. The woman said that 'she had no idea what was going on' and we ended up just leaving the hotel to proceed with our plans. We came back to the hotel after dinner and decided to take them up on their 'complimentary fishing polls' offered on the front page of their pamphlet the door keys came in because we saw a few people fishing just infront of the hotel and it sounded like a lot of fun. When we asked for them at the front desk the man tried to explain that they were broken and not available to the guests. My husband asked, 'broken? what do you mean broken?'. Turns out the line had just been tangled up and I'm assuming none of the staff knew how to operate them (after 25 minutes of waiting on 3 staff members at the front desk). So we were given the poll (only one) in exchange for my Husband's driver's license. We enjoyed fishing on their little dock with a few other guests and returned the poll an hour or so later. The next day (on our way to a pre-RNC event) my husband realized that the hotel staff didn't return his I.D. to him just as we were entering the front gate of our event (I.D. required) and so I called them. I was put on hold 3 different times (one of them being put directly on hold without a greeting of any kind) before I could finally get someone to pick up the phone so that I could explain our situation. The woman was very rude and very unprofessional. Although, we should have made sure to get our I.D. from the staff before we left, they really didn't seem to have it together. The woman calling my Husband's I.D. that of a 'little boy' didn't make things any better, I guess she wasn't competent enough to check the date. Or apologize for not returning it to us. All in all, the view was nice but because of the staff we won't stay there again. The other guests we were fishing with complained about the same.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Jolly G
General M, General Manager at Sailport Waterfront Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Thank you for your most recent feed back regarding your stay at Sailport. I sincerely appologize that we did not exceed your every expectation. It is feedback like yours that allows us to be the best we can be. Your information has been shared with the desk team members and a plan is in place should this situation arise again in the future. Please contact me directly so that we can have you back as our guest and you can enjoy the true Sailport experience. Thank you for your honesty and your business.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

This will be my 4th Oct. trip to Florida. Sailport offers nice rooms, great views and wonderful staff. If has a safe feeling where you can relax by the pool or in the sandy area watching the water, birds and sunsets. If you are looking for a place to relax, or on a business trip you need to try Sailport. Airport and car rentals are close to them. Sailport will help you out in finding what you need. I can't wait to see the updated room and grounds in Oct-2012.

Room Tip: I have pictures on their facebook site.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank klcarter

Thank you for the great feedback. We take pride in our property and our customer service and appreciate all of our guests especially our repeat guests. There have definitely been some changes here on the property and we are very excited for the changes still to come. When you not relaxing on our beach area or by the pool, you should try one our massage services. We would like to thank you for your business and welcome you back!

Reviewed August 23, 2012

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Julie-Bears