“noisey”

The Godfrey Hotel & Cabanas Tampa
Ranked #42 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed here on a Sat/Sun night because of it's close proximity to Tampa airport.
Located right on Tampa Bay-amenities are fine, staff friendly/helpful.

They only offer a rather expensive basic breakfast option.
Apparently they cater to business during the week.
On the weekends it's party time catering to the college crowd. The bar/grill on property played very-very loud music both nights until well after midnight. Lots of drinking lots of noise that transferred to the elevators and halls of the hotel throughout the day and into the wee hours of the morning.
Would not recommend this hotel for family or people who want to go to sleep at a reasonable time because it's not going to happen.

Room Tip: Bay side rooms have beautiful sunset views but also more noise. stay as far away from bar/grill as...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank KJB51862
BAYHARBOR, Front Office Manager at The Godfrey Hotel & Cabanas Tampa, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

Dear KJB51862,

Thank you for submitting your feedback about your stay with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed the customer service we provided, along with the amenities we offer. I would, however, like to apologize for the noise you experienced from the neighboring establishments. On weekends, they play music and because of our location on the waterfront, the sound easily travels across the Bay and can be heard by guests in our Bay view rooms. We ask that our guests notify the front desk if they are affected by the noise late at night. We have also increased our security presence, particularly on our busier nights, to minimize the noise within the hotel.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope you would consider visiting us again.

Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,838)

Reviewed May 23, 2013

I went to this hotel for business.
Pros: 1) Clean rooms
2) Great view
Cons: 1) Ty - behind the counter VERY RUDE!!
2) Common areas filthy (stairs)
3) furniture dirty
4) toilet clogged, fake wake up call

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank Robin B
BAYHARBOR, Front Office Manager at The Godfrey Hotel & Cabanas Tampa, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2013

Dear Robin B,

Thank you for providing your feedback about your stay with us. I would like to apologize, on behalf of our team, for not exceeding your expectations particularly regarding the customer service you received and the cleanliness of the public areas. I have addressed your comments with our team member and housekeeping management, respectively, so improvements can be made to provide a better experience for you and other guests in the future. I am pleased, however, to read that you enjoyed your clean room and the great views.

We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future. In the meantime, please feel free to contact me to further discuss.

Best Regards,

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We had a very good experience at this hotel, check in as fast and we got a room that we did ask for. You have a typical room clean and comfortable....the balcony was great for the evening and of course the morning. You cannot beat the ease of access to the airport, shopping, Clearwater, and of course Hogan's Beach.

I had a family of 4 and we all enjoyed our stay...and of course for me a thrill was meeting Jimmy the mouth of the south Hart...

We are going back to Tampa in November and we likely will stay here again!

If you have any question let me know

Room Tip: Pay extra for the bay view!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ReginaRick
BAYHARBOR, Front Office Manager at The Godfrey Hotel & Cabanas Tampa, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear ReginaRick,

The team and I are pleased that you had such a wonderful experience with us! It is great to read that you enjoyed the cleanliness and comfort of your room, as well as the speedy check-in. I am happy that our central location was perfect for you and I know it must have been exciting to meet Jimmy Hart, the Ambassador for our on-site restaurant/bar, Hogan's Beach. Thank you so much for staying with us and for submitting your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you and your family on your next trip to Tampa!

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Room was average. Bathroom was very small for the King Suite. We stayed Tuesday, Wednesday May 7th 8th. In past reviews they complained about noise.. We heard none! The bed was ok. Not bad. Room was a bit musty at first but I carry Lysol and a candle to most hotels, and that solves that! Printer wasn't working, which was inconvenient but girl at front dest was helpful.

Room Tip: I always have to have the king bed...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank janice a
BAYHARBOR, Front Office Manager at The Godfrey Hotel & Cabanas Tampa, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear Janice A,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about our hotel. On behalf of our team, I would like to apologize for the room not exceeding your expectations. You will be happy to know that we are undertaking a complete renovation of our guest rooms, which would include replacing and updating the furnishings. We also apologize for the inconvenience of the guest printer, but I am pleased that you found our Front Desk staff helpful while it was out of order.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your future visits!

Reviewed May 17, 2013

When I booked a room the website called this a 3.5 star hotel. There is no doubt that the location is a 4 or 5 star location. The hotel is right on the water of Tampa Bay. Connected to the hotel is a outdoor bar and grill with sand volleyball. However the rooms are about 2 star rooms. Rooms were clean, but no frills. About what I expect at a Super 8. If you want to sleep in luxury find a different 3.5 star hotel, but if you want to have a great location and don't care about the room, then this hotel is a good deal.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jon T

Dear Jon T,

Thank you for staying with us and for submitting your comments about our hotel. I am happy to see that you enjoyed our waterfront location and the cleanliness of our rooms. You would be pleased to know that we have plans for a major renovation project which would include the refurbishing of all our guest rooms and common areas. We hope you will visit us again in the near future to experience our newly-updated rooms.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

I am a Best Western Platinum Elite member, and I was thoroughly disappointed with my stay at this hotel in April 2013. I stayed at this hotel for one night with my wife and another couple when we were on our way to a wedding in Clearwater Beach, FL. After arriving and waiting on line at the hotel's front desk, we were not talked to very nicely or politely by the man who was taking care of checking guests in. On top of that, he also spoke quite rudely to a woman working there (she appeared to be either staff at the front desk or someone with housekeeping). Someone we were staying with (ironically enough) speaks Polish and heard the woman speaking in Polish to another member of the hotel staff, so she was able to talk to the staff member without the man understanding what was being said (she never did tell me what they talked about).

Our room was outdated, although I did not expect anything like a brand-new room knowing that the building has been there for awhile. However, that is no excuse for simple fixes such as electrical outlets. What I mean by that is the fact that when power cords were plugged into the outlets in our room, they hung out of the outlet to the point where they were practically falling out. A few of the outlets were not able to charge things or power what was plugged into it, and every single outlet in the entire room had this same problem. I'm not sure what kind of issue could cause that to happen, but it needs to be taken care of if hotel management wants guests to be happy staying in the rooms, especially if many of the other rooms also have that same problem.

To add to the frustration, the person who reserved the room indicated on the reservation that four people would be staying in the room. However, there were only two sets of all towels in the bathroom when we arrived. I dialed '0' on the room's phone to ask that two additional sets of towels be brought to the room, as is the standard system in most hotels. When I called, I was told I would have to come to the front desk (?). I went to the front desk and was then told the housekeeping's room that contains the towels and toiletries is not near the front desk. I was then instructed to use a phone to the left of the front desk to dial a four-digit extension to speak with housekeeping. The person at the front desk was not busy checking in other guests, and this is something that could have easily been done by the front desk (and should have if they wanted to show good customer service).

I dialed the four-digit extension, and the line went STRAIGHT TO A VOICEMAIL MESSAGE saying "you have reached housekeeping, please leave a message". I have never, in the all the hotels I have ever stayed at, had to leave a message for housekeeping in order to just have towels brought to a room. This should be a simple task that is made easy for the guest, especially when the hotel messes up and does not put the correct number of towels in a room. Instead, I was made to run around like I was someone working at the hotel rather than someone who was staying there. It honestly would have been easier for me to have just gone to the housekeeping room myself and get the towels that we needed for the room; that is very, very sad to say when knowing that I was a guest at the hotel and not someone who worked there.

The final issue that I had with this hotel was that no sort of breakfast was included with our stay. That is a much smaller issue than the other things I mentioned above, but this is the first Best Western hotel I have ever stayed at that did not offer some kind of breakfast (continental or otherwise) in the morning. I would have expected even something small like fruit and other small items, but I was simply told "no" when I asked if they serve any sort of complimentary breakfast in the mornings. If you're looking for any sort of complimentary food at all in the morning at this hotel, other than coffee, then you should probably consider staying somewhere else.

I normally refrain from writing reviews this harsh unless I feel there are serious issues with the hotel. While I did not have more issues than I can count on my fingers or anything of that sort, the issues I did have were fundamental ones that should be quite easy for the hotel to take care of. Electrical outlet issues can be a very quick fix and do not require any significant renovations. Knowing how many sets of towels to put in a room based on the number of guests indicated on a reservation are among the easiest of tasks for hotel staff. Additionally, making a guest run around and practically get extra towels themselves, those of which should have been in the room to begin with, is just unacceptable. I am assuming this hotel is full quite often based on its location, but that is no reason or excuse to act arrogantly and slack on basic things that should be taken care of with ease by a hotel.

I was very disappointed with my stay and hope that, as a Best Western Platinum Elite Member, I never have this type of experience at another Best Western hotel again. I was not the person who placed the reservation and did not inform anyone at the hotel that I was a higher-level member of their chain's rewards program. I'm glad I refrained from doing so, because I got an excellent glimpse of how they seem to treat people at their hotel. The beds were very nice and comfortable and the room was clean, which are just about the only real "great" things I find myself thinking about when I think about this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Daniel R
BAYHARBOR, Front Office Manager at The Godfrey Hotel & Cabanas Tampa, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Dear Daniel R,

Thank you for being a Best Western Platinum Elite Member and for taking the time to post your comments. On behalf of our entire team, I apologize for the unsatisfactory stay you had with us.

I am sorry that you had a less than stellar check-in experience. When we assign rooms, we take into consideration our guests' special requests and requirements. However, because room numbers are not guaranteed, we are not always able to place additional items in rooms ahead of time. This is something that we will discuss with our team going forward. It saddens me to read about your ordeal as you attempted to obtain the extra towels. That was a terrible misunderstanding and I sincerely apologize. Also, even though we do not provide a free breakfast, we have a full-service restaurant on site which offers a full breakfast selection at reasonable prices.

We are undertaking a multimillion dollar renovation project, which would include replacing and updating furnishings and fittings in our guest rooms. Our guests' feedback is very important to what we do each day and we have addressed your concerns with our team so as to make improvements to our service offering. Once again, we apologize for not exceeding your expectations and we hope you will give us another opportunity to provide you with the superior experience all our guests deserve. Please feel free to contact me to further discuss.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this hotel. My room was on the bayfront and it was absolutely beautiful. The room service from Hulk Hogan's Restaurant next door was excellent. There are two nightclubs with live bands in the immediate area, but the music stopped at 11:00 PM, and I enjoyed listening to the bands. The staff was friendly and accommodating and the room was clean and modern. The next time I visit Tampa, I'll choose this hotel. Perfect location, too!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the bay.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank LadycopMaryland
BAYHARBOR, Front Office Manager at The Godfrey Hotel & Cabanas Tampa, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear LadycopMaryland,

Thank you for staying with us and for providing your feedback. I am very happy to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay! The team and I appreciate your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Tampa!