“Average hotel - Awesome Tampa Bay views”
Review of Bay Harbor Hotel

Bay Harbor Hotel
Ranked #73 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Bayonne, New Jersey
“Average hotel - Awesome Tampa Bay views”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel in mid-January on a combination business and personal trip. We had never stayed here before and we found the rates to be very reasonable. The exterior of the hotel was oldish, as others have said. The interior, including the rooms, looked like they had been renovated in the last few years. The rooms were nice and I really had no complaints about the room or the service. The staff was friendly and helpful. I almost wish I could rate this hotel 2 ways - the hotel was average. The view from the room was outstanding. When we arrived the hotel was not full. We asked for an upper floor with a view on a quiet side of the building and they really delivered. We were on the top floor facing Tampa Bay and whether it was early in the AM or at sunset the view was one of the best we have seen and we have traveled a lot. The water is right next to the hotel and the water was flat with birds diving all day, boats coming into the area , and views far into the bay towards Clearwater. There is a highway to Clearwater off to the right. If you can get a room like that you will enjoy it. One suggestion - we were on the quiet side of the hotel, close to an apartment complex. The other side of the hotel is close to the local bar/restaurant/nightclub Hogan's Beach - that side could get very noisy. We stayed over a Saturday and the bar had outside bands late into the night. Hogan's Beach was the bar/restaurant for the hotel - food was fine, nothing fancy - in the evening it caters to the dining and bar crowd as people come for the sunsets and the local volleyball games on the sand courts. We never did have breakfast there so we cannot judge that. My wife spent 2 days at the pool which she said was nice and quiet. One last comment - I said earlier that the building was old. The balconies are old school - one long balcony the length of the floor with a small railing between the room balconies. We were a little concerned about security but once we spent time on the balcony we had nice conversations with those in neighboring rooms.The latch on our sliding glass door to the balcony could have been secured better, which added to the security concern. So average hotel - awesome view.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank LBI9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Turkish first
APOPKA
Reviewed February 3, 2013

It was a good experienced to just walk in without any reservation on Martin Luther King weekend and get a good room facing the Bay. Clean rooms, good bed and lots of towels! Nothing much in the lobby but in the morning they had coffee and newspaper. It was next to the Hogan's new restaurant and we got to meet him on the first night. It was close to clearwater activities and other restaurants you can sit outside. The International Plaza Mall is a must go to. Really awesome Mall.

Room Tip: just ask when you get there for a room with bay view but not too close to the restaurants next door...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank loveitApopka
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I've stayed here two times, a year apart. Both times I've had bay side rooms, and been above the ground floor. The view is wonderful, the patio small, but suitable room for a couple of people to sit comfortably watching the water, the birds, the dolphins and the view over a cup of coffee to start the day. In-room, single cup coffee makers and mini fridges make an easy start to a good morning. Linens were fresh, the room this year was a little stuffy, but housekeeping opened the back patio door to allow a bit of fresh air in. The beds were firm in our room, and linens clean and fresh, towels well stocked.
If you've forgotten some incidental, there is a small shop in the lobby in case you don't want to go off site, and it also contains the usual assortment of little knick-knacks and souvenir items, slightly overpriced but not bad. The lovely lady that runs the little shop is always smiling and friendly and willing to help.
There is a small business center area in the lobby, black and white printers available, and wi-fi available in the hotel. While the connection is a little on the slow side, I didn't expect more with a full hotel over the weekend.
My companion this trip took the shuttle from the airport, which is close by. It was a convenient way to get to and from the airport, and an option for those without a rental car in case you want to go off-site for a meal rather than eat in the attached restaurant. From the traffic in the hotel lobby, many of the pilots and flight attendants seem to stay here.
Ice, vending machines, and microwaves are available near the centrally located elevators on each floor. While I did not order room service, the attached restaurant does deliver to the rooms and there were 3 or 4 places that slipped a delivery menu under our door during the day. There are a few places to eat within walking distance and many more within a short (under 10 minute) drive. Grocery and general merchandise stores are also relatively close to drive to just in case.
My only complaint was about parking. While we were given a card to place in our car window to allow us parking access, they blocked access to at least a third of the lot closest to the hotel itself by parking hotel vans at an angle across the drive in the lot. There is an area on the end nearest the restaurant which is chained off and marked for valet parking only. This meant there was a longer walk than necessary to get in and out during the weekend. While this might not seem like a problem to most, for those with mobility issues, it can be.

Room Tip: Bay side rooms have a great view. Expect to see wildlife in the waters and don't be surprised to...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ollie_McA
Orlando, Florida, United States
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I live in Orlando and had to teach a seminar in Tampa. I don't know the city all that well and chose this hotel because it seemed easy to get to from all around. It's a nice property. It's definitely an older hotel and shows its age, but it is clean and well kept. My room was clean and comfortable, except the shower is really weird and I had to call housekeeping to figure out how to turn it on. The banquet staff was very helpful and attentive while I was setting up the seminar. I did not each lunch in the restaurant, but most of my attendees did and they said the food was very good. The rooms have great views of the bay which are very pretty. I would say this is more of a leisure property than a business/conference hotel, but I was not disappointed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank David B
Regina
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Booked this hotel because of its location near the Tampa, FL airport and for the photos on their website. I was not disappointed. The grounds were beautiful, hotel was older but clean, wonderful service including great shuttle service prior to getting my rental car to places I needed to go surrounding restaurants and stores. Front desk staff were very helpful and extremely friendly. Because I had a rough flight getting there the front desk staff upgraded my room to one that overlooked the Bay with a balcony which was a really treat. Lovely view of the bay from my balcony. The only thing that was not impressed with was the onside restaurant. I didn't really like the new theme of Hulk Hogan and the tacky decor. The only thing interesting about the onside restaurant was the lighting. However, the staff were incredibly nice and the service was very efficient. The restaurant was always busy though.

Room Tip: Rooms with a bay view and on higher floors have a balcony provide a nice view of the bay and a way t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank ShellZ7
Moscow, Idaho
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I read a lot of reviews before booking at this hotel. I was in the area for business and needed a reasonable priced hotel near the airport.

The positive, the hotel is somewhat updated. I stayed in a water view room - view was lovely and quiet - upper floors. The staff was friendly at check-in and check-out. I was able to sit out on balcony morning and night.

The negatives, unbeknownst to me Hulk Hogan opened a restaurant at the hotel before I booked the hotel. The parking is a real pain as there does not seem to be a plan to handle hotel parking versus Hogan parking. The elevators didn't always work and the coffee was awful in the lobby, my biggest complaint was the balcony area for each room was connected, so there was no privacy and wasn't safe to leave the window open at night.

I cannot imagine I would ever stay here again however I can imagine it could be a value for a family on a budget (booking the water view) and if the Hulk excites you then it would be a great place.

Room Tip: Water view, upper floors.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Anibas44
Greve, Denmark
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Without any knowledge of the hotel, we got very surprised when we arrived and decided to stay for 2 nights. The hotel have former been a Radisson hotel, therefor the high standard. NIce and helpfull staff.
We had a large room with the best view in town, right out to the waterfront and sunset, who can wish for more. The pool was a bit cold, but in the summertime, this hotel must be really nice. Located close to the city and only 30 minutes from Clear Water beach.
Unfortunately the breakfast is not included and can take place at the sportsbar next door. This was not the best experience, so we skiped breakfast the second day and found a 7 Eleven instead.
If we should visit Tamper again, we will still chose to stay at the Best Western Bay Harbor

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family