“Great friendly staff, bonus Hulk Hogan.”
Review of Bay Harbor Hotel

Bay Harbor Hotel
Ranked #47 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Spent one night, fairly clean, decent location. Staff were very friendly and quick to respond to needs. Courtesy shuttle from airport plus to a few malls. Managed to arrive while restaurant transitioning from crabby bill's to "Hogan's Beach". I thought the shuttle driver was kidding when he told us on the way from the airport, but sure enough, there it was with red and yellow decor, all the belts and real memoribilia, and the Hulkster himself with a few companions. It had a fun atmosphere even though it was a slow thursday night. We thought it was going to be a disaster as the server explained it was their first night with the new menu, and signs they were obviously in transition (still wearing crabby bill's t-shirts). But the service was moderately quick, and the food was pretty good. It was my wife and i and our 19 month old night owl, and we enjoyed it. The Hulk was there, interesting to watch people hound him a little bit for novelty photos for facebook, etc. Congrats on the new joint Mr. Hogan.

2  Thank Dadatrekker
There are newer reviews for Bay Harbor Hotel

Reviewed December 26, 2012

Amenities: There really wasn’t much to offer here - the beach that is advertised is more of a scenic look out to the bay - I would not recommend swimming in Bay water, its stagnant and generally used by the local wild life. The Room TVS were subject too few local channels and one HBO channel that aired old movies. Not a lot of Wall Sockets for your personal Items -

Location: If you are staying here keep in mind - you are at least 30 / 45 min away from everything - you also get too hear the Bars playing music until 9 / 10pm and coming across the bay it’s like having stereo in your room. The restaurants located close to the Hotel were very expensive (Good Food) but very expensive. It was cool too see the Dolphins in the bay on our last Morning there but I don’t think this is an Everyday event. The Hotel is located pretty much on an Island – So you have to travel at least 30 min to get to a general store like a Wal-Mart to get what you need.

Room Cleanliness: the Rooms were Nice I would rate a 7 out of 10. However I wouldn’t e surprised if you found a broken door knob or two or something broken. Though I will say the staff was most appeasing when it came to fixing things.

Comfort: As I aforementioned if you are staying a day or two it’s tolerable - If you plan on vacationing - and long stay I would recommend somewhere else. I was a little surprised to see the refrigerator in the bathroom – and the room seemed kind of small. And seem to be only One elevator working

Staff: Very Friendly - Nice and Helpful – Excellent professionalism

Value: For what the hotel offered you can’t beat the price – I sincerely say this is a diamond in the rough and needs a little more corporate attention. It could be a great little get away if it gets a few bugs worked out and promoted correctly

HOGANS BEACH / AKA CRABBY BILLS? OMG! ADJACENT TO THE HOTEL

This is a the Hotel Restaurant on Site

Hogan’s on the Beach is adjacent to the Hotel. It was somewhat interesting walking through the main hallway toward the entrance of the restaurant – seeing one or two of the wrestling greats and older movie photos of Hulk Hogan and Sylvester Stallone. However, the whole personas changed as you started realizing there is absolutely nothing but pictures of Hogan himself. It’s like eating at a Shrine totally devoted to one’s self. I was embarrassed to see how much ego one person could possibly have.

There is nothing in this restaurant that wowed me. The food was mediocre at best and the endless pictures of Hogan in speedos and flexing didn’t help keep the food down. As for the beach – all you have is sand – If anyone decides to swim in this water I suggest you get your shots up to date. The Tiki bar was relaxing but the music way too loud to even have a conversation.

Incidentally when you talk to some of the employees. I asked “So let me take a stab at this – does Hulk Hogan own this place?” Their response was “DO YA THINK?” – What an ego huh?

If you’re a wrestling fan you might appreciate this place – but don’t get caught up in the hype –It isn’t all that, and certainly a far cry from what the media is making it out to be. It is a future site for Bar Bangers and Night Club fanatics. And having it adjacent to a Hotel is absolutely the worst Idea anyone could have.

Room Tip: If you are staying a day or two it’s tolerable - If you plan on vacationing - and long stay I would...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 13, 2012

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
3  Thank JUNE A
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed one night on the bayside of the hotel. It was beautiful and we had our own balcony. The rate was reasonable but the only downside was the slow elevator. Crabby Bills' is attached and we had dinner and breakfast there and the prices were reasonable and the food was very good. I would love just to stay in Tampa at the motel for a weekend and walk to the attractions in the area.

Room Tip: The bayside is the place to stay in the hotel for a perfect view of Tampa Bay!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cha_cha196134675
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My sister and brother and I stayed at the hotel for a wedding. Before our arrival, I had contacted hotel to change res and ask for rooms close to ea other which was handled expertly. During our stay the front desk staff and auxcillary staff were all warm, helpful and efficient. The complimentary shuttle service to and from airport & 2 malls was a plus. The view & sunsets from my rm were awesome. It was across the causeway from downtown St Pete which we enjoyed visiting along with the Pier. Crabby Bill's (not hotel's) restaurant was good for dinner, but did not like plastic cups for drinks. breakfast was disappointing.

Room Tip: Rooms away from elevator were quieter - no ice machine or other noises. 5th Fl had a great view
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Corny H
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Went to Clearwater to visit my daughter & chose to stay on the Tampa Bay instead of the beach.
Great choice, my room overlooked the Bay and the convenience to everything was wonderful. I will be staying at this Best Western each time I am in the area!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family