“Love the Restaurant the Oyster Catcher”

Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay
Ranked #2 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 19, 2010

My husband and I lived in Tampa and we used to go to the Hyatt for their restaurant The Oyster Catcher. The restaurant has a beautiful view over the water, the food is great and the staff impeccable. We particularly loved the brunches. They have a nice patio section and we stayed many hours in the sun enjoying the endless refills of mimosas.

We stayed at the hotel for one night once and the room was comfortable but nothing to write home about. Maybe I have been too spoiled with my stays at the Park Hyatt.

Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,017)

Reviewed April 17, 2010

My girls and I stayed at the Hyatt in March for their springbreak. The hotel itself was nice, the food is great but expensive. I was a little disappointed in the rooms, they appeared to be outdated and need some renovating. Everyone is correct, the hotel itself is isolated but we rented a car and the nearest mall is about 10 mins away, we went to Clearwater which is about 40 minutes away, nice scenic drive. I probably would not stay there again and would try one of the nearby hotels when I visit again. Also,there was no inside pool and it was rather cool so my kids had to swim outside. The nature preserve was closed so we didn't get a chance to see that. Had to pay for Internet service 9.99 for 24 hours and our shower was leaking at the end of the stay.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 10, 2010

The hotel is right in the bay and has great views of the water. The rooms are nice with new flat screen tv's. The wifi was included in our rate - but this is not the norm. It worked well. The free shuttle from the airport was there in a few minutes. The bar and restaurant service was very slow. They had one server at lunch and took 1-1/2 hours to get a sandwich. I was there a few days and this was the service level each day. We tried the oystercatchers restaurant at the out building area - again very slow. Both places are expensive.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank engineer64
Reviewed March 27, 2010

At the front desk, waited ten minutes for check in due to short staffing (one person working the entire front desk). Booked a Bay View Room and paid the extra $$$ for the promised view, but felt really cheated. Do not waste your money!!! The hotel staff consider "a partial view" acceptable even from the lower floors. On top of it, we were stuck in a room near the main elevator and had hallway noise all night long. The property is very nice and a terrific location for the airport, numerous spring training sites, and the interstate system, but consider the Westin and Renaissance just around the corner. While they are not the water, you will not be treated second class while paying first class prices.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank gcgrayburnjr
Reviewed March 23, 2010

Stayed at this hotel for business (speaker training) and had a wonderful experience. The front desk staff were professional and pleasant. The room was beautiful. The bed was excellent. The bathroom superb.

I ate at the two restaurants on-site. Armandi's on the top floor (which was the same floor as my room) was very accomodating my solo status - I was placed near enough light to read my book while waiting for my meal. The restaurant has an antipasto bar which is very unique and plentiful - I suggest you order it and take a trip up to choose your own favorites! The other restaurant - Oystercatchers - is a short walk on the hotel grounds and is situated on old Tampa Bay. It has the BEST seafood I ever had! The staff was pleasant, helpful, and (again) adjusted my solo status so that I felt welcomed and well taken care of.

Check-out was a breeze!

Would stay here again any time!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 16, 2010

We were visiting family outside Tampa. Got a good price when booked with airfare - would stay here again. Staff was friendly & helpful. We arrived late after visiting family, but were able to get pretty good food at the lobby / bar area (but not just "bar food").

The best - the bed was fantastic. So good, I tried finding it online & did, but purchasers said it's not the same bed, so we didn't buy it, which is too bad - would have paid a premium to get the same bed & bedding it was that amazing!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Heather D
Reviewed March 12, 2010

We have stayed here several times over the years, most recently this past week during our vacation to see some relatives in the greater Tampa area and to catch some Phillies spring training games. We love this hotel b/c the location is great and convenient to a handful of spring training stadiums (notably the Yankees and Phils). The people at this Hyatt are very friendly, and we have never had anything but good relations with any of the staff. The grounds of the hotel are kept very nice, and even though the pool attached to the hotel itself is nothing special, they have a great pool out by Oystercatchers and the Casitas that is right on the bay. Location is great, and it's nice to be outside the city a bit but close enough if you needed to be there. The rooms could use some updating, but I don't think a major renovation is needed to the grounds...maybe get some flat screens TV, new beds that are more comfortable. Overall though, this is a fine hotel and I don't think I'd want to stay anywhere else in Tampa.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family