“It Doesn't Get Much Better Than This!!”

Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay
Ranked #3 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 3, 2014

This place is just beyond words! I wasn't sure what to expect because I had gotten a sweet deal by booking my flight and arranging my hotel as a package! I think I made my decision based on the ¨Hyatt¨ name?!

After landing, all I had to do was call the hotel and they sent a shuttle right over to bring me to the hotel (really nice perk!)!

From the moment I entered the lobby (by the way, a door-person is there to handle such menial things for you! LOL! So fun!), I felt very pampered and cared for! I was early, so they held my luggage for me while I went into the 1823 Kitchen & Bar for some lunch...this is where I would meet the most wonderful waitress, Mary (Lord I hope that's right!). She took care of me every morning that I was there and I was sad to say goodbye to her! So, while I'm eating...the restaurant manager came over to let me know that my room was ready and ¨my bags had been delivered to my room¨!! When it's time to head for the room, I'm informed that I will be staying in one of the Casitas and they will send a shuttle to take me there!?!! So, I'm guessing because I requested a ¨smoking room¨ (which don't exist), they put me in an area with multiple Casitas...like mini condos (no microwave)...you're own front door and french doors out to the back patio area (smoking!)! The main hotel does not have balconies, so if you're a smoker, ask for the casitas!)! I had room service two or three times and each time they got the food there quick and warm (each time, within 30 minutes)! Everyone of the employees that delivered to me was very friendly and very accommodating!

Just around the corner from my casita was like a paradise! Hammocks, tables with umbrellas, outdoor bar area, ping pong area, baggo area, heated swimming pool, fire-pit with Adirondack chairs circling it, and Oystercatchers restaurant!

There is a beautiful boardwalk that runs between the casitas and main hotel. The boardwalk hugs the edge of the Bay and offers an opportunity for an approximate ten minute stroll and nature appreciation! Also, a beautiful Koi pond by the casitas!

Besides dining at Oystercatchers and breakfast at 1823 Kitchen and Bar, we did get a chance to enjoy 1823 at night! We harassed our poor bartender Noel, but he handled us well and always had a smile! Thanks for a great night to Noel and I believe, our other bartender was Bill?! Sorry!

I was travelling by myself and I couldn't have felt more safe and at home! I would definitely recommend this hotel to all my friends and I will be back for sure!! If I had to say one negative thing, I think it would have to be that they don't clean the casitas until about 2pm and that's just about the time I wanted to get in and take my afternoon nap so I could prepare for the evening adventures!

Room Tip: Ask for a Casita!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Greetings NEIllinoisSexygranny,

Thank you for going out of your way to share your feedback on your most recent stay at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. I am so happy to hear about your wonderful experience with our hotel and friendly staff at this location. Also, so thrilled you were able to take advantage of the great dining and service we have on property at Oystercatches and 1823 Kitchen and Bar. We hope to welcome you back soon on your next trip to Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay!

Drew D.-Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We visited over Christmas week. The hotel is in a great location central to most anything you'd want to do in the Tampa/Clearwater area. Service at the hotel is really good but just a little pretentious. As a family with a teenager, we felt slightly out of place. I can't put my finger on why but we just didn't feel all that welcome. Staff were efficient and met our every need. The Grand Club floor was fantastic. Still, something just felt a little too "business like" for our taste.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Disneyprofmom
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for in this hotel for 5 weeks..
I actually felt like a home..
The stuff was extremely nice.. I had some crazy requests and they always where very helpful.
The gym is open 24/7 and that a great benefit when you have jet leg :)

The breakfast is very good, and every day there is something different.

Another advantage is a shuttle to/from the airport and to a few nearby shopping malls.

I'll defiantly come again to that hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Rami A
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your extended stay. I’m so glad to hear that we were able to help you feel at home! It is great that the staff was able to assist you with your requests and was so helpful. The breakfast is fantastic and I’m glad that you enjoyed this. The shuttle certainly does make it convenient to get to nearby attractions and it is great that you were able to take advantage of this. I hope that we can welcome you back on your next trip to Tampa.

Abrea H – A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Upon arrival, Lauren, the lady upfront, provided us with an excellent customer service. She turned our anniversary into a holiday fiesta! Smooth and fast check-in, beautiful water view, comfortable room on 7th floor. Thank you so much, Lauren, we really appreciate your wonderful service, and looking forward to coming back to Grand Hyatt for more!
The rooms are great, like new/ freshly renovated, they have everything you need! Not more, not less. However, the outside swimming pool is too small for such a huge hotel. Sauna was cold, so my husband fell asleep while waiting for it to warm up. It seemed like nobody was take care of its temperature.
Overall, we had a great time!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dana S
Reviewed December 25, 2013

The Grand Hyatt isn't in the same category as a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons but it is a very comfortable and well run airport/conference hotel that would also be fine to use as a base for a leisure trip to Tampa.

We took two regular rooms which were outstanding value for money - although we may have got a better than normal rate as we booked well in advance. The rooms were modern, well equipped and in good condition - they looked as if they had been renovated very recently. The bedroom felt spacious and the bed was comfortable, although there wasn't a lot of storage space. The bathroom was small with a large shower but no bath and only a single basin.

The rest of the hotel had a modern, contemporary feel about it, and again everything about the infrastructure was in good condition and looked as if it had been renovated recently.

The breakfast buffet was rather basic but there was an a la carte option as well. Restaurant staff were friendly and went out of their way to advise about how to minimise the bill.

Outside, the hotel has its own short boardwalk and a small swimming pool. Although the pool area is small for the size of hotel, the day we were there, despite the hot weather, there was only one guest using it, so there was no shortage of loungers.

There is a free shuttle to and from the airport, which runs every thirty minutes. We missed the one to the airport by five minutes, so they very decently laid on an extra one for us to save us the cost of a taxi.

I'd use this hotel again.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank BQD
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear BQD,

Thank you for going out of your way to share comments about your stay at our Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. It is great to hear how much you enjoyed our modern rooms and amenities included. Our employees from Petey Brown's will be recognized for the excellent service you experienced during your stay. I'm glad you were able to relax by the pool during the warm weather that came through the area. It will be my pleasure to welcome you back, as our guest, on your next visit to the area.

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here this week and thought it was a good hotel for business travel. Clean room and a good staff. Will stay there again when in Tampa next. Although, I did see a lady who I assumed was an escort leaving the hotel around midnight. Not a great sign?

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank CRoth7
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Recently stayed here as part of a little winter getaway.

Check in was just okay. I had attempted to use a suite upgrade but they could not accommodate my bedding request. over the phone. I asked again when I got there about possibly getting a 2-bedded suite and the girl checking me was very short with me in letting me know that the Casitas only offered king bedding and that no other suites were available. She informed me that I was getting a Bay View room and that was as good as it was going to get. Wasn't very cordial about it either.

Room was very nice. Spacious and clean. Beautiful view overlooking Tampa Bay and the pool down below. Bathroom was clean. Beds seemed small and a little uncomfortable. I'm 6'4" and my feet almost hung off the end of the bed. Beds seemed just a little smaller than what I am used to at most Hyatt hotels and that is with 100+ nights a year at multiple locations.

Grand Club is open Monday through Thursday for Diamond members. Nice selection of fruit/breads/muffins in the morning as well as some good seafood Hors d'oeuvre on the Monday night we were there (Mini crabcakes and shrimp cocktail). Free non-alcoholic drinks and rather expensive "pour your own" beer/liquor/wine. The usual for most Grand Hyatts and Hyatt Regency.

Property is in a great location. 5 minutes to the airport, 10 minutes to downtown, Hotel exit dumps you right on the causeway over to Clearwater. Really couldn't ask for a better location unless you need to be right downtown.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends