“Nice hotel but banquet wait staff could be better” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay

Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay
Ranked #2 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Nice hotel but banquet wait staff could be better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

I was there for a conference. My room was very luxurious and the food was reall y good for the most part. The banquet waiters, however, were not the best. At lunch I was sitting at a big table. We were all served our entree except for the guy sitting next to me. I waited and waited and finally asked him if he was not eating lunch. He said yeAh where's my lunch, flagged down a waitress and finally got one. I was talking during lunch and put my fork down on the plate. A waiter immediately swooped in to toe my plate. I had to stop him and tell h I was still eating. Then at dessert the same thing happened. Everyone at the table was served except for the guy on the other side of me. He had to ask for a dessert. Then at dinner that night everyone at the table was served wine except for me. I could not find a waiter and ended up getting a bottle off the tray and serving myself. Not the kind of service I would expect at the Hyatt!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Allilluu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay for two nights. I used my Unites miles, so the price was right. Had a king bed, very comfortable. Room very clean. On the sixth floor, view of Tampa Bay, pool. Two restaurants and a bar to eat. I went out; only 5-10 minute ride to other places to eat. You have to pay for wi-fi. Most hotels have it for free.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Hi katenj,

Thank you for going out of your way to share comments about your recent stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed the variety of amenities such as our large pool and your bay view room. It will be our pleasure to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon! Your referral is greatly appreciated.

Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

The thing that impressed me most about the hotel is that every employee wants to give top notch service. There was not a soul who copped an attitude and furthermore everyone wanted to please. The service was on a par with five star resorts and we have stayed at a number of them. Anya and her team at the front desk were top notch and I can just go on about others at the hotel. The hotel is very pretty; I understand it was just renovated. We had a beautiful view of the bay from an 8th floor corner suite and it was just wonderful. The breakfast buffet was terrific and if I come back to Tampa I would love to stay here again. Although you are close to the airport, we didn't hear any planes and we really felt like we were not near one.

Room Tip: Definitely worth getting a bay view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank leslielena
Dear leslielena,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay at our Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. Your comments are greatly appreciated with regards to the excellent service you experienced. Anya and her associates will be recognized. Our bay view rooms offer guests the best views in the area. We're glad you enjoyed the corner room with views extending out of the two large windows. It will be our pleasure to have the opportunity to welcome you back again!

wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed here the night before an early morning flight home from spring break. the hotel is located just minutes from the airport. GPS made it very easy to locate. We found the grounds to be beautiful. Our room had a. beautiful view of the bay. Our room was very comfortable and we enjoyed a quiet nights sleep. We will use this hotel again. The only complaint was no free WIFI. After staying all week in Lido Beach at a non chain hotel with free WIFI it is really unthinkable that a big chain still charges their guests for this.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Don't let this hotel's proximity to the airport turn you away. I could see the planes landing from my room but the service and decor was excellent. There is a little artificial sandy area and 2 pools! the hammocks were very relaxing. I didn't stay in the little guest cabins but they looked nice from the outside. A convenient hotel that's close to the city.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the bay
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank FernRose13
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for choosing Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. It is great to hear that you had a great experience and found the service and décor to be excellent. We do have two outdoor heated pools and a jacuzzi on property. This make for a very relaxing stay for those who wish to go for a swim or just hang out by the pool. I am glad our location was convenient for your travel. I look forward to welcoming you back to our property on your next visit to Tampa!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate
Wakefield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel. It is in a very convenient location. The restaurants within the hotel are fabulous and the view is wonderful. Very clean and comfortable. The exercise facility is very adequate for a good work out and very clean. Easy access to many of Tampa's sites and golf courses!

Room Tip: Request a room with a view or you may be looking at parking garage.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lisa N
It is always a pleasure to read when our guests have a wonderful experience at our property. I am glad you were able to sample the restaurants on property. We have three restaurants that provide delicious food and fantastic service. It sounds like you enjoyed our complimentary fitness center. Your kind words are very much appreciated!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Stayed here for a week on business travel. This year, I'm putting all of my hotel points eggs into the Hyatt basket and have stayed at a range of properties. When in Tampa for work, I used to stay at the Hyatt Regency Downtown Tampa. It was supremely convenient as I could walk to my work site. However, that property was recently purchased by Hilton, so my search began anew.

This property is very close to the airport, which made it convenient to get to after arriving late at night. That being said, the first time, it is a little difficult to get to, since you switch direction back and forth a few times after getting off the freeway. Once you do it the first time though, it's not too bad.

The view of the bay driving in is spectacular - it seems like you're driving at water level. The view from my room (329) was pretty uninspiring - the top of the garage. Not a big deal since I was there for work and was rarely in during the day when you could see anything anyways. I've read in other reviews that even numbered rooms are the way to go for a view.

The room itself was very spacious and you could tell they just renovated. It is classy and modern, but understated just enough as to not be obnoxious. Classy really is the best word. It seemed my room was previously an ADA room that was converted to a regular room (could still see holes in the shower walls where the accessibility bars were once bolted in. Contrary to some reviewers' photos, I had an old fashioned style tub with a shower curtain.

The A/C blew strong and cold, and surprisingly, the hotel WiFi signal was strong enough to allow for a pleasant browsing experience. Even managed to stream a little Netflix without too much trouble.

Didn't partake in any of the restaurants, but I read that they are top notch. Valet service was prompt, and I never waited long, even with a big event going on one evening upon my return from the office.

The only drawback I can note is that there is absolutely nothing around the area as far as other dining options, stores, etc, that I could find. It's basically in the middle of an office park off of the freeway. That turned my first night, late night hunger from a $15 room service burger (delicious by the way, even if the fries were a bit shoestringy and underwhelming) into over $30 when delivery charge and tip were added. I understand that hotel services are inherently pricier because you're paying for the convenience, but that was a bit off-putting. The turnaround was prompt though - about 15 minutes from my order to delivery.

Overall, I highly recommend this property - staff are very polite and helpful, the property is beautiful, and it made for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Hi Alex B!

Thank you for providing such detail with regards to your recent stay at our Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. We're delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the modern amenities our rooms offer. The views of the bay around our hotel make staying with us quite the experience. Hyatt takes great pride with our employees offering great customer service. It will be our pleasure to have the opportunity to welcome you back with us. Your referral is greatly appreciated!