“Very good but not Superb”

Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay
Ranked #3 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Just spent a week at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay and I can only say that I was underwhelmed. This is not to say that it was bad. It was actually a very nice resort. The grounds are beautiful. Everything is well manicured. There is a trio of restaurants, internet access for a fee, and plenty of parking (included with your stay). In general, the staff is very friendly.

So why not five stars? For starters, my room was not ready upon check-in. They took my cell phone number but after an hour of waiting, I lost patience and called. Magically, my room was ready. One can only guess that they forgot about me. So I began my stay pissed off.

Moving on, the room was on the small side but it was clean and had a beautiful view of Old Tampa Bay. On the downside, the coffee maker was missing parts and the tub drained very slowly. These are not the signs of a top flight resort.

There are two pools for guest use. The first pool is adjacent to the main lobby. Calling it small is an understatement. Then there is the second pool. This pool is a good five block wall down the resort's nature path. It is also small. However, a patio with hammocks and full service bar await the guest.

I really can't say much further. I based myself out of the Grand Hyatt while exploring the Gulf Coast and other parts of Florida. Every night I was happy to return. The location is great as you are literally two minutes from the airport.

I have high expectations when I travel. The Grand Hyatt was very good but the Ritz it was not.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MrJameGumb
There are newer reviews for Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed here for three nights in an upper floor bay view double room. The view of the bay and the room in general was very nice and well appointed. The grounds are very pretty and well maintained. The staff was accommodating.
The internet connection speed is very slow (Less than 2 MBPS) so if you're looking to remote connect ..... good luck. You can answer your emails with your smart phone. The bar service by the pool is practically non-existent (you get your drinks inside and serve yourself). They run out of towels frequently by the pool, also. Lastly, I had a pretty nasty omelet at Petey Brown's buffet restaurant one day but a good one the day before, so that shows some lack of consistency. I guess you either get lucky .... or you don't.
The property is convenient to the airport, complete with the airplane noise (although, to be fair, you don't hear it in your room on the bay side) and hotel is close to International Plaza and downtown Tampa and many great restaurants are close by, as is I275. Would I stay here again? No. However, having no experience with the other area hotels, this one may be the pick of the litter. Safe travels to all !

Room Tip: Request the Tampa Bay side for some nice views
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ray S
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

We spent 1 night at this hotel and absolutely loved it! The room was clean and spacious. The pool was heated and was very nice. The staff went above and beyond to make sure your happy. The grounds were beautiful and we enjoyed walking around the trails and finding the other pool and beach area. The kids loved playing in the sand and walking down the piers. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2013
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Your kind words are greatly appreciated. I’m excited to hear you and your family had an excellent stay at our property. It sounds like you found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. I’m glad you enjoyed the grounds, finding them to be beautifully appointed. Thank you for choosing Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. Your recommendation is our biggest compliment.

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed March 30, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Grand Hyatt Tampa for one night while the NJ Devils were in town to play the TB Lightning. The staff is not only incompetent but security is a joke. I was talking to my dad about how the devils lost and I got a knock on my room that I was being too loud. However, at 2 AM loud noises and screaming from the hallways and the wonderful security doesn't do a thing about it. Even after the hotels brags about their recent 16 million dollar renovation. The size of the bathroom looks like a small box. Not to mention the rooms are digustingly dirty. The housekeepers leave one towel and the people at the front desk have no clue. The rudeness and incompetence of the staff and the bathrooms being a joke as far as size hopefully will convince you to try the westin harbour island or any other hotel in the area. I will certainly never go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank giants201Hoboken
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to share your candid feedback with us. It is very disappointing to learn that your stay at our property did not meet expectations. Please know that I have forwarded your comments to the management team regarding your experience with the staff. I am pleased that I was able to reach out to you to further understand the issues you encountered. We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to Hyatt so you can experience our true hospitality.

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed March 29, 2013

From the moment I arrived the hotel staff were helpful and attentive. My Bayview King Rooom had a view to die for and the room was classy and comfy with decor ideal for male or female tastes. After a long day travelling to my destination I lay down for a short nap which ended six hours later. I was able to order a lovely meal at 1:55 am with delivery in only 20 minutes. By 3:00 am I was enjoying the heated pool and hottub. Aside from two raccoons keeping me company I was the only two legged creature. The pool and hottub were warm and clean. The pool deck needed to be cleared of the odd towel, cocktail napkin and beer cap from earlier guests but I suspect at first light the pool deck will be spotless. I will be back!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Tonia_Solo
Reviewed March 28, 2013

The Grand Hyatt in Westshore was always good with its excellent restaurants, Armani and Oyster Catchers and I have been staying or eating there or both since it first opened. Perhaps the restaurants arnt quite as special as when they first opened say 20 years ago or more and theres no longer, at this moment, the superb buffet lunch they used to provide in the main dining room. I have recommended many over the years to stay here for the great views and great hospitality and choice of restaurants and my european friends in particular have loved the place. BUT now its better than ever or at least the rooms and the great team running the place are. Management and marketing are doing a superb job. The newly decorated rooms are great and quiet and the staff are fabulous. Everyone is really trying here . The views are the same fabulous ones they always were but the newly decorated rooms are bang up to date and modern in style and very comfortable and the staff will go to every length to make you feel welcome and at home. Stay here and you can be assured you are getting some of the best hospitality available in Tampa Bay..............and not just that businessmens chain hotel vibe..... now a good hotel being made better than it when it was new

Room Tip: Bayviews have great sunsets
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed in a casita at this hotel and while the property and the room was beautiful, the noise of the planes taking off at Tampa airport was very loud! We ate breakfast at the hotel which was a distance away...there is a little path to the hotel. Overall, it was a nice experience.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple