“Disappointing stay, despite wonderful staff.”

Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay
Ranked #3 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We called the Grand Hyatt, told them we would be arriving exhausted and asked if there were accommodations in close proximity to the pool so we could spend an evening simply relaxing in the pool. We were told we could book a casita by the private pool that would be a few walking steps away from our door. It sounded perfect for what we wanted so we booked the reservation. Upon arrival at the hotel a few hours later, we were informed that although we would be given a casita by the pool as promised, we would not be able to swim there because the pool would be closed for the evening for a private event. We explained we had chosen the hotel because we had been told we would have easy access to a pool from our casita. The woman at reception seemed unconcerned and informed us there was another pool we could use that we could access by shuttle across the resort from us but no rooms were available near it. We were disappointed and frustrated, but we were exhausted and decided we'd relax in our room and get caught up on work so we checked in anyway. Once there, however, internet in our casita kept logging us off, although it worked well some of the time. Room service in the evening worked well so we decided to take breakfast in our room before leaving for the airport in the morning. We ordered breakfast to be brought to our casita the following morning for 8am-8:30am and it never arrived. We were eventually told they had no record of our order (even though we had called to confirm it had been received), and we had to leave for the airport without eating. On checkout, we expressed our disappointment with our experience there and Hyatt took 50% off our total bill for the mix-ups, which we appreciate. The hotel is a lovely property, close to the airport, and the staff is very friendly, but I would caution guests who go there for leisure or to use the pool, to confirm in advance the pool(s) will be open and not closed for an event. Views are obstructed from the casitas and there are mosquitos there which made sitting on the deck outside the casita uncomfortable in the evening. If you want a great view or to leave your doors open, I recommend you consider a higher floor facing the water in the main building of the resort.

Room Tip: Higher floors in the main building facing the water will insure a nicer view and less chance of mosq...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jazzdat

Reviewed January 12, 2013

I was flying out of Tampa so I needed a hotel close to the airport. The hotel is away from any restaurants or shops so you will need a car to get around Tampa. The rooms have a very fresh and contemporary look to them. Everything is in impeccable condition.

One of the features that I appreciated was the work desk with the multiple power ports. I was able to power my laptop, charge my phone and charge my MiFi devices at the same time. The bathroom was spotless. There is no tub, just a walk-in shower which was what I prefer. The bathroom was also stocked with toothpaste and a few other toiletries. Sleeping on the bed was quite pleasant. The mattress had the perfect amount of support without being firm. Overall this hotel can work for both business travelers and tourists.

I do recommend going to Armani's on the 14th floor, the view is amazing. The restaurant has a formal dining area as well as tables with a view and an outdoor seating area. I got there on a weekday in the early evening and they were having happy hour so you can also go there to unwind.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Tampa.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank fumartinez
HyattGuestRelations, guest relations associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We're thrilled to hear you loved our newly renovated hotel. We're delighted you were able to try Armani's as this is a guest favored restaurant. Your recommendation is our highest compliment. We look forward to your next visit.

Chrissi B.- A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stay here and eat at Armani's - the food is amazing and so is the staff.
Rooms are nice, clean and very pretty. Staff is helpful & friendly, always willing to give out advice on the area.
Also children friendly - so is the restaurant.

• Stayed: November 2012
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Dear KC P:

Thank you for taking a moment to share feedback about your recent stay at our Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. It's great to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. Our Chef at Armani's will be recognized for the delicious food prepared. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed at the newly renovated Grand Hyatt in Tampa during the Christmas Holidays and had the best time ever, since I started staying there in 2009. The some rooms have been updated to suites with incredible views and strikingly beautiful appointed furnishing. My boyfriend commented that the room was larger than his apartment. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, everyone from the front desk to the maid service was excellent. Oystercatcher is the restaurant on the property and it is fantastic. I have eaten there several times and have never had a bad meal. The view from the restaurant is breath taking as well. The hotel is in a great location to easily get to Clearwater beach and St. Petersburg. You will not be disappointed with your stay there. I plan to go back for my birthday in March.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view of the bay.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hsy25501

Dear hsy25501:

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay at our Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. It's great to hear how much you enjoyed our recently renovated rooms. Our front desk associates & housekeeping staff will be recognized for the fantastic customer service. Hyatt takes great pride with this, and your comments are greatly appreciated. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again. Your referral is greatly appreciated!

Reviewed January 9, 2013

One of our favorite hotels, the Grand Hyatt, has had a recent facelift, and it looks great! The rooms are now done in a modern neutral tone. There are new fixtures and flooring throughout, and the old tub/shower combos have been replaced with large, lovely walk-in showers. We love the new design!

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the pool and man-made lake are awesome - the bay is in the background, and the...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

I’m thrilled to hear that you love the new remodel! It’s great that we were able to welcome you back. Your kind words are greatly appreciated. We look forward to having you back in the future!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Like many of the other reviews, I would give this hotel a pretty decent review. The rooms are very nice, parking is easy, location to the airport is great.

My issue is with the room safes. I've stayed in quite a few hotels but I've never stayed in one where the room safe was not bolted down to something or mounted to the wall in a closet, etc.

This safe was in a drawer of the nightstand. I went to open it and the whole safe moved. So then I pulled on it a little and the safe came out of the opening. So I pulled a bit harder and picked up the safe and placed it on the desk in the room. I even attached some photos in case anyone else wants to see.

Ok...so not a super big deal, except that I had our passports and quite a bit of cash with me. We just didn't use the safe. I didn't say anything to the front desk on the first day of our stay as I didn't really feel like having anyone in the room bolting the safe down or changing rooms. On the second day, I did ask a housekeeping supervisor if the safes were supposed to be bolted down and she said yes.

So when I went to check out, I casually mentioned to the front desk person who was checking me out that it didn't really seem normal for the safe to be removable. She agreed with me and said she would let someone know. Now, as she's telling me this, another front desk person moves over next to her and tells me that this is normal. I said, "Well, that doesn't really make a lot of sense to have a safe in a hotel room that is removable".

His response, which I still can't quite believe was, "Well, if you're safe was removed from your room, we would add the charge to your bill".

I explained to him that I wasn't really concerned about being charged for a missing safe, but that I was more concerned about leaving anything of value in a room safe that was removable.

His response was that this was normal for this hotel and that none of the safes were attached/bolted down to anything.

So I guess if you stay here, don't put anything valuable in the safe and remember, if your safe is stolen, you will be charged for it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DocRobert2000
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The hotel is consistently one of my favorites. The food and service are excellent and the location is great as well. Club level rooms are worth the extra and club amenities and food are superb! The gym/fitness area is adequate and very clean...

Room Tip: Higher floor on west side give spectacular sunset views....
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Dear busybiztravlr:

Thank you for going out of your way to share feedback about your recent stay at our Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. It's great to hear how much you've enjoyed staying with us & we're delighted to hear how we're one of your favorite hotels. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again!