“Still A Get-Away Favorite”

Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay
Ranked #3 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Tallahassee, Fl
“Still A Get-Away Favorite”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

My last visit was two years ago, and while I continue to love the Casita (little house) option situated among wetlands and enjoy the location being near Hyde Park shopping, good restaurant choices, and Ruth Eckerd Hall, I was a bit dismayed at the decor change. Gone is the tropical feel of the Casita, and in its place is Euro-minimalist sleekness. It not only is less comfortable but seems cluttered. The ubiquitous work station now takes up space that an easy chair occupied. Since I wasn't working, but playing, I preferred it before. Useless benches are at the foot of each bed, taking up even more space. The one upholstered chair was uninviting, and the matching ottoman could not be placed where it could be used - no room. The colors are now beige and browns and seems masculine. I will continue to stay at this hotel because of the Casita and surrounding landscaping and patio, but I am not as enthusiastic as in the past.

Room Tip: Having the option of a Casita is the plus here as a high rise hotel is nothing special. The Casita...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Florida
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times in the past. We had the pleasure of staying here over the weekend for a company Christmas party at a local restaurant.

OUr room on the 12th floor was very modern having been recently renovated. The only issue that we could find was that you could hear the elevators going up and down.... Not a biggie for us as we do not like complete silence when we sleep. Some people might find this unacceptable and owuld prefer a room farther down the hall.

The hotel seems clean and the staff are very friendly.

The breakfast buffet in the restuarant is a little limited, but you can order omelets and specialty eggs from the server. The hostess in the restaurant is very friendly and seems to really love her job.

This has become one of my favorite hotels in the Tampa Bay area. I will def. be back!

Room Tip: I always prefer a high floor. You may want to request a room far from the elevator and if you want...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed December 8, 2012

My family and I recently stayed at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. The view from our rooms on the 10th floor was amazing! We overlooked the bay towards Clearwater. At night it was just as beautiful. But more importantly, every single staff member gave superior service. The waiters in the hotel restaurants, the bellhops, the concierge, the front desk, even the staff members that opened the hotel entrance doors when you would leave and arrive. The hotel is centrally located to all the great malls, the highways, downtown Tampa and Clearwater. The grounds are extensive and beautiful. The rooms are sophisticated and roomy. And the restaurant on the top floor with a beautiful view is very classy. Would stay here again and again!

Room Tip: Get a high floor to get a great view of the water. The lower floors may be blocked by trees.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, guest relations associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We're delighted to hear you enjoyed our spacious rooms and beautiful water views. We will be sure to pass your compliments on to our staff. We look forward to your next stay.

Chrissi B.- A Guest Relations Associate
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I booked this hotel due to the scenic location on the water so that we could have a vacation within our Thanksgiving family weekend in Tampa. The hotel overall was amazing. The room was probably the best I've seen in Tampa. Staff was super nice too. Only slight downfall was a mushy mattress. Still fully enjoyed the stay to the max. Would book again for sure as my #1 choice in Tampa.

Room Tip: Make sure it has vies on the bay.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Your kind words are greatly appreciated. It’s always a pleasure to read when our guests have an amazing experience at our property. I’m glad that you found the hotel to be perfect and the staff to be very friendly. I’ll share your comments regarding the bed with our housekeeping staff. Thank you for your recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Tampa!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate
Yarmouth Port, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

The entire staff was amazing. From when we were picked up at the airport until when we checked out the entire staff was polite, informative and gracious. The best customer service at any hotel I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Jay S
Mountain View, California
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The property is beautiful, the restaurants are good. Check in was fast and easy and the hotel staff were helpful. That being said, I was there for a conference for three days. I was stuck there. There was nothing close so I was stuck eating at the hotel restaurants although I had a car. The food was expensive and the service at all of the restaurants was adequate, but I'd expect better for the price. The combination of price and service made me feel that I was stuck. The one day I ate the prepackaged sandwiches they sold for lunch, I had an upset stomach which pushed me to the lounge for food the next day. I'll review the restaurants separately since this is about the hotel. The room was spotless and comfortable. The AC worked perfectly, it was quiet and the room stayed at a perfect temperature. The bathrooms were laid out awkwardly. I could hardly reach the TP since it was on a far wall and the only mirror in the place was over the bathroom sink and it was difficult to put makeup on. If you're tall, you won't notice this. I had a room that looked over the airport which wasn't the premium view, but I opened the curtains and had a beautiful view of the sunrise over the skyline, so it was still an amazing view. The workout room has a good variety of equipment in good working order. They also have a refrigerator with bottled water and chilled moist towels.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Lisa D
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Lisa D:

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay at our Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. Your comments about the menu items are appreciated. We'll be happy to pass your feedback to our Food & Beverage Manager. It's great to hear about you catching the sunrise from the fantastic view from your room. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again!

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
Kearny, New Jersey
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt while on a business trip. This hotel was everything I could have asked for and more! First of all, the hotel is right near the Tampa Airport, which is extremely convenient for anyone travelling for business. My room was extremely clean- it was literally spotless, and very comfortable. Water bottles were placed in my room for purchase each morning by housekeeping, which I greatly appreciated. Housekeeping was extremely friendly and respectful of my belongings. The restaurant inside the hotel served absolutely delicious breakfast food, as well as the restaurant on the hotel property. Great place to stay! The only thing I would have liked to see was a mini fridge in the room so that I could store my delicious leftovers for snacking at a later time. I also encountered a very rude service person at the front desk when I called towards the end of my trip who actually hung up on me while I was speaking to him. While this was upsetting, my stay at the Hyatt was so wonderful otherwise, that it was only a small wave in an otherwise perfect and happy experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank kehern
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
I appreciate that you took the time to provide feedback in regards to your recent stay. It’s great to read that your room was very comfortable and extremely clean. I’ll be sure to share your comments with the housekeeping staff letting them know you enjoyed their service. Guests do have the option to request a refrigerator. These are based upon availability but can be requested. I apologize for your phone encounter with the front desk agent. This is very disappointing to read and we will address this situation immediately. Thank you for such a wonderful review. I hope we can welcome you back to our property in the near future!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate