“Relaxing stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“Relaxing stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2011

My husband and I with our 1.5 year old daughter- went for 5 nights. Nice hotel. Nice people. Room was average (for a GRAND Hyatt) but clean. Only downfall was that the fan didn't work in the washroom, which wasn't a big thing. Pillows were very plush! Room was facing the airport/city-something for our daughter to look at instead of the plain water side view. Petey Brown we went for breakfast buffet every morning.. $15 for cold breakfast (breads/bagels/fruits/cereals), $18 with the hot foods (scrambled eggs, french toast/pancakes, baked potatoes, bacon). We ordered room service one night-for 2 toast and a glass of milk came out to $14! Has 2 pools. Armani's has a nice view of the water/city area. Oystercatchers (has the tennis court and pool) was a long walk as was the walk to the Gazebo. We rented a car so we wouldn't have to rely on looking for a taxi wherever we wanted to go especially with the little one. Parking lot underground. Very close to front doors. Airport 5 min away. Int'l Plaza Mall also 5 min away. Mall has nice restaurants directly outside the food court (ie. Cheesecake Factory). Westshore Mall about 10 min away-small. We went to the Florida Aquarium which was by the Channelside (cruise ports area). Busch Gardens.

Room Tip: Kids would like the airport view
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Kiran01

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2011

The hotel and property is a perfect way to begin your holiday as very near to the lovely Tampa airport. The rooms are spacious, clean and beautifully appointed with fantastic Hyatt beds and furnishings. Their restaurants are top notch as is the service. Perfect for business as well as holiday.

Room Tip: Speak with the friendly front desk
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank martinlucy
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, June 8, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on our property. I am excited to hear that you found our rooms to be beautifully appointed and clean. We take great pride in the service offered at our hotel and the service provided by our staff. We hope to welcome you back to Hyatt soon!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate
Santa Barbara de Samana, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2011

I used Priceline.com to get a killer rate on this hotel. My wife and I really enjoyed it. Beautiful grounds and location. Comfy bed, helpful kind staff and free parking. Pillows were not good at all though. My only complaint really. Very clean and up to date property.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TourSamanaWithTerry
HyattGuestRelations, guest relations associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
We’re delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We often hear enthusiastic feedback about our location. Being right on the shore of Old Tampa Bay we have some amazing views! We hope to see you again soon!

Chrissi R.- A Guest Relations Associate
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2011

Here for the weekend with my kids. We made a reservation at Oystercatchers for dinner last night and because the only available time was 8:30, the concierge gave me a 20% off card. Well when the server brought the check, she had tacked on an 18% "Service Charge"!!! REALLY?? I guess she thought that because I'm a single woman I wouldn't tip her. We were a party of 3 & I've NEVER heard of a restaurant adding a service charge, even at a hotel. VERY, VERY tacky. After she left the check she never returned to our table. She knew she shouldn't have done this.
Yesterday at the pool I asked the attendant for a dry towel for the chair & he asked me why!!! I said "because this one is wet & not by me!" Again, really?? The rooms are very, very cheap here but the food & drink prices more than make up for it. Drinks are $12 & room service breakfast for three is $85, after charging a 22% service charge and $3 delivery fee. For marginal food at best.

• Stayed May 2011
Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2011

Due to a change in plans, we booked our room on fairly short notice through an online site (second party) and got an absolutely fabulous rate. The hotel employees were friendly, the common areas were beautiful, and our room was nice. Only negatives: the bed was a little hard for me and there was not a refridgerator in the room. We had a bayside room with a beautiful view. We didn't have a chance to try the restaurants but did enjoy using one of the pools. This was a nice hotel and the grounds were pretty and well-kept.

Room Tip: Ask for a bayside room on high-up floor for view.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Southern Pines, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2011

I booked this hotel for my freinds and I to stay post Carnival Cruise. I have to say, although the location was a little out of the way (would really recommend renting a car) the hotel was perfect! We must have asked them for a million things (i.e. a microwave and a rollaway bed) and all were provided to us at no extra cost and in a very pleasant manner. Also, there was a wedding party that booked next to us and the noise was so loud from them having a party it kept us up and when I called the desk, they apologized and made it up by giving us the breakfast buffet free of charge the rest of our stay. Also, even though the shuttle hours were posted, if we asked, they went out of their way to make special trips for us, if possible, after hours. The hotel is beautiful and the casitas were really nice to stay in. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. I think their service goes above and beyond!

Room Tip: Booked AAA
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HyattGuestRelations, guest relations associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, May 26, 2011
Wow! Thank you for such an amazing review. It's always great to hear that we were able to go above and beyond to create such an wonderful experience for your stay. We're pleased we could accommodate your after hour adventures with our shuttle. Thank you for giving us the compliment of your recommendation. We look forward to seeing you again!

Chrissi R.- A Guest Relations Associate
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2011

This is an interesting hotel - and a contradiction in some ways. Overall, a positive.

First the good:
(1) Great common areas
(2) On the bay side rooms, wonderful views of the bay - especially in the morning and evening
(3) Two great places to eat: Oystercather and Amanis - but avoid the breakfast buffett (cold food both days)
(4) Very good and responsive staff
(5) Close location to the airport
(6) Room rates were very reasonable for what you recevied

Then the bad:
(1) I was in one of their high end rooms - an Executive Suite and the room was worn (e.g., my sink had large cracks, furniture was scared, rug looked like it had not been cleaned in months) and unimpressive for a Grand Hyatt
(2) I asked for the Conceige Floor and only found out when I checked in that the lounge is closed on weekends - you would think they would tell you that when you ask about it while making the reservation.
(3) When I made the reservation (800 number) they assured me I would be high up in the building, instead, I had a wonderful view of the roof to the convention area - but if I stayed away from the window, I could still enjoy the bay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the bayside
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo