The motel is an older property looking like it was built in the 1970s (complete with tube-style TVs) but is completely and immaculately kept up. From the rooms (no rust, tears in drapes, stains, etc), to the parking lot (freshly recoated surface), to the breakfast/meeting room, to the check-in area, everything looked new. This is a two-story exterior hallway motel that were so popular back in the day. Every staff person I encountered was friendly and efficient.
Breakfast is from 6-9 every morning, with a staff person constantly keeping an eye on things to make sure they are well stocked. Make-your-own waffles, cold cereals, instant oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, donuts/bagels/muffins/toast, apple juice, orange juice, coffee, and milk. Tampa newspapers also are available at breakfast.
The pool is in the middle of the parking lot, but seemed popular while I was there. There is a room that has been converted to a fitness room. There are coin operated washers and dryers.
The location is billed as being the closest to MacDill AFB and is on the main drag through the south part of Tampa. The local bus service stops right in front of the motel with service to both downtown and MacDill.
The bathroom has the tub/shower and toilet enclosed and the sink and closet area just outside the tub/shower room door. Room safe is under the sink. Full-sized ironing board and iron.
Wifi is free in the rooms and works well.
Full kitchen in the room with microwave, two-burner stovetop, mini-refrigerator, sink, coffee maker but you must bring your own pans, plates, utensils, etc.
Housekeeping forgot to put out towels one night during my five-night stay, but other than that did a good job every day.
Area seems safe and the hotel seems popular with contractors on extended stays as well as families.
If you are looking for the most up-to-date, modern, fancy place to stay this is not your hotel. If you are looking for a good, clean, comfortable place to sleep, get cleaned up, eat breakfast and go about your day for a reasonable price this is the place for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are the newly renovated Howard Johnson Express Inn & Suites Tampa. We are the closest hotel to Macdill Air Force Base and also within 5 miles of Tampa International Airport, Downtown, Cruise Terminal, St. Pete Times, Forum, and Raymond James Stadium. We fully renovated our hotel including a brand new bedding package in 2009. We welcome all guests to come see the new Howard Johnson Express Inn & Suites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Wyndham, Orbitz, Travelocity, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your Howard Johnson Express Inn & Suites - South Tampa / Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Howard Johnson Express Inn & Suites - South Tampa / Airport Hotel Tampa
- Howard Johnson Express Inn And Suites - South Tampa / Airport
- Howard Johnson Tampa
- Tampa Howard Johnson