“Awesome Location, Friendly Staff!!”

Hotel South Tampa and Suites
Ranked #81 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed July 29, 2012

The front desk clerks and the manager were beyond accommodating. When we arrived they were excited to welcome us because we were the first family from NH to visit their particular location. They ensured that were aware of all the complimentary features that were offered which included free Wifi, heated outdoor pool, free continental breakfast, and cable channels.

For the amazing rate that we got for 2 Queen size beds, refrigerator, and microwave we were shocked at how comfortable and clean the rooms were. The beds had plush mattresses that were very comfortable and the sheets were extremely clean. The overall appearance of the room was one of a 5 star hotel.

The location of the hotel was perfect where we could easily access Busch Gardens, the beach, stores, and restaurants.

I would recommend this hotel to any family that is traveling with kids. The hotel is clean in a great part of town and overall just a great place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed July 28, 2012

After reading the reviews on this site, I decided to stay at this hotel while I took the FL Bar Exam. The night before the first exam day, my friends & I had to be moved to another room because we found a bed bug on one of the beds. Eric, from the office staff was nice & apologetic; he quickly moved us to another room. A few hours later, however, my friend, her young son & I woke up with bites all over our bodies. I went back to the main office at 5:30am to explain what was happening & Nicolette, the person who replaced Eric, was completely disinterested in our plight. Even though I was visibly shaken by the bites on my skin & by the fact that I had a major exam in a few hours, she was rude, unprofessional & unapologetic. She dryly told me that there was nothing she could do til her manager arrived at 7am (when I was scheduled to leave for the exam). I don't in anyway blame the office staff for the infestation however I was absolutely mortified by the experience & by the way I was treated. We were eventually moved to another Howard Johnson where we thankfully spent the rest of our trip bedbug-free.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Elle868
hojosouthtampaairpor, Webmaster at Hotel South Tampa and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Express Inn & Suites - South Tampa / Airport for your recent stay in our area.

• Eric was informed of the kind remark you made about his friendliness and received our commendation on the courteous, friendly manner in which he treated you, our valued guests.

• Maintenance was informed of your report of bedbugs in the room assigned to you and instructed to look into the matter and if it has not already been dealt with to see to their extermination.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Howard Johnson Express Inn & Suites - South Tampa / Airport. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

This hotel was comfortable for the price. Very pleased with the service.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Virginia W
Reviewed July 9, 2012

There were more pros than cons for my visit to this hotel. First the cons: 1. Located on a busy street. It can be difficult turning in and leaving because of the traffic. 2. Fitness Room leaves a lot to be desired. It is actually room 117 with an exercise bike, treadmill and an elliptical. The elliptical was the only equipment working at the time of my visit. 3. The throws on the double beds were dirty. 4. Don't expect a nice, flat screen TV. The sets are old and cable is very basic. (This may also be a con for some- the soap dish did not have a hand grip and the tub did not feel as if it had a non-slip surface.)

The pros: 1. The staff is friendly and attentive to the needs of the guests. 2. The grounds are clean and well kept. 3. The area is safe and close to many attractions, stores, entertainment and MacDill Air Force Base. 4. Easy access to the Gandy and Howard Franklin bridges for a trip to St. Pete. 5. Microwave and fridge in rooms. 6. Room was clean and the bed firm. 6. I stayed over the 4th of July weekend. Place was quiet except for the sound of fireworks the night of the 4th.

Considering the cost, of a night's stay, I was pleased.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Ann7714
Reviewed June 7, 2012

The staff was extremely courteous and helpful both when I called them and during checkin & checkout. The room was clean and well taken care of. It appears that the hotel has done some renovations. We were extremely pleased

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SuzeFL
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Just an okay place to stay. Bathroom has sink area outside of the shower-toilet area, which are both very small. Has a burner, fridge, microwave & sink area with a small table & chairs. Beds were comfortable. Includes a breakfast from 6 - 9 AM which has a waffle maker, bagels, english muffins and small muffins along with two cereals, juice & coffee. Front desk was friendly.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
hojosd, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel South Tampa and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Express Inn/Suites S Tampa for your recent stay in our area. Your comments are much appreciated. Comments such as yours helps us to strive to go beyond our service and provide every guest with a comfortable room at a reasonable price.

Thank you again for your comments, we look forward to seeing in the near future.

Respectfully,

Jackie Cruz
Guest Relations Manager
Howard Johnson Express Inn & Suites S Tampa

Reviewed April 5, 2012

As a mover I find that I need a quiet and comfortable place to call home. The staff is very friendly and I always get the BEST SERVICE from the Front Desk Receptionist 'Jackie Cruz'. If you are in the Tampa area be sure to look this Howard Johnsons up. You will be completely satisfied.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Ernesto B
hojosd, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel South Tampa and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2012

Dear valued guest,

We at Howard Johnson want to thank you for your continual business. We apreciate your kind comments and look forward to servicing you soon!

Once again thank you for your repeat business.

Kindly,