“Entertainment, Location & hospitality”

The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk
Ranked #44 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Lakeland
“Entertainment, Location & hospitality”
Reviewed October 27, 2009

I must say, I had an excellent time and the concierge was extremely helpful. I went to a few of the nightspots recommended and had a night to remember. After walking to the different lounges and upscale clubs right around the corner and dancing the night away, I decided to head to back to the hotel. I came back to a nice and fresh comfortable bed and the cleanest room I have seen in years. The business center was very convenient being I currently attend college and never have my laptop on me. Another great addition is location (must see to believe) and how could I forget the price, bar-none. I really could not ask for more. Thank you Howard Johnson for an all-around great experience!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank J_D0e
Larry C, General Manager at The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
We really appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your stay here at the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown Tampa. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit. It is always nice to hear that we have met the expectations of our valued guests. With the goal of delivering outstanding service to every guest everyday, we are pleased to receive feedback such as yours.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Czech first
Rossvilla, GA
Reviewed October 23, 2009

Friendly, Good Price, Great Location! Will definetly stay here again. Great for cruises.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Larry C, General Manager at The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown Tampa. We always enjoy hearing when a guest enjoys their visit with us. We are constantly striving to improve the guest experience at our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for your business and your feedback.
Lithia
Reviewed October 21, 2009

Awesome views, right off the interstate on the far side of downtown. The view of Tampa's skyscrapers is breathtaking. On the opposite side of the hotel is the river so you have great views all around. The rooms are clean and room attendants are friendly. In the lobby there is all original art which makes this hotel unique. The rooms each have an original photo of cool spots in Tampa. I will absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your stay. We truly appreciate all feedback and it is especially nice to hear when a guest enjoys their stay with us. Here at the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown Tampa providing guest satisfaction for a great value is our number one priority. Again thank you for your business
Indiana
Reviewed October 20, 2009

Last month I stayed at this HoJo, just b/c I got a good deal last minute when I was traveling to Tampa for Business. Now I have to return to follow up with my clients and I'm choosing this hotel again! The location cannot be beat - just of the expressway coming into downtown from the airport and many options within the immediate vicinity (Performing Arts Center is just across the street). I also appreciated the staff's helpful and friendly demeanor - willing to provide the low-down on good restaurants/etc and places to avoid. I'd definitely recommend this hotel to any business travelers as well as any tourists with downtown Tampa as their destination!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
First and foremost I thank you for your business. I also thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Howard Johnson Plaza in Downtown Tampa. It is very nice to hear when we get it right. With the goal of outstanding service to every guest every time we pride ourselves on great reviews such as yours. Thank you
Montgomery, AL
Reviewed August 17, 2009

I read many of the previous reviews before booking this hotel for my first trip to Tampa. I based my purchase mainly on price and location, taking into account what other reviewers had said, and was still pleased with my choice afterwards.

Upon arrival, Michelle at the front desk was warm and courteous, something out of the norm these days. She gave me a late checkout time and the number to a cab company after I indicated I was going to Ybor City to experience the nightlife. Michelle stated that the free shuttle service operated by the hotel would take me to my destination and pick me up until 11pm (so I got a free trip to Ybor, and paid $8 for the return cab ride).

Yes, I only witnessed two out of the three elevators open when called, and although the interiors had been refurbished, they were older elevators as some of the buttons didn't light up and one unit had a distinctly old chime when traversing between floors. They had current certifications displayed and I arrived at the 8th floor unscathed.

I had booked a non-smoking room which was surprisingly nice and well maintained. Again, yes, I could tell the hotel was a little dated based on the room/bathroom layout/fixtures, and had been updated, but might not have noticed at all except that I read previous reviews. Everything was in working order and clean.

Another person indicated that their room keys had to be "reactivated" and I found this to be true as I had three keys become inactive. I know storing a magnetic key in your pocket along-side a cell phone or magnetic wallet will frequently deactivate them (which I did), but just in case be prepared to make a trip down to the front desk (with your I.D. or someone will have to escort you to your room to let you in and retrieve proof - - actually glad they did that!).

I didn't use the provided toiletries, as I carry my own, but they looked pretty standard. Not to discount a previous reviewer, but don't expect premium accouterments at a value hotel.

Oh and yes there was an $8 charge for parking...

I have read hundreds of reviews covering many hotels and haven't contributed nearly enough after a stay, and I was a little worried about this hotel, but afterwards I felt the need to put my 2 cents in the melting pot.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pulse54
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 11, 2009

Another great rate from Hotwire.com but I “got what I paid for” because I honestly did not have a good time at this hotel which by the way is owned by Wyndham Worldwide.

The building is OLD and it showed in several places. The elevators were slow and made weird noises, key cards had to be reactivated twice, the T.V. reception was "snowy" and the rooms were worn. There was a pool but no spa / hot tub and the “fitness room” had two pieces - a stationary bicycle and elliptical. The electrical outlets were so loose the clothes iron and my phone charger would not stay plugged in and the light switches are definitely from the sixties. I even caught my roommate checking for bed bugs LOL!

The employees were cheerful and professional but I could not work there knowing that the management’s idea of “upgrading” was modernizing the lobby and throwing a wooden framed mirror in each bathroom and calling it quits. They should have continued because the tub and sink were both cracked and the exhaust fan was inoperable.

I’ve always been indifferent towards the complimentary shampoo, soap, and conditioner in hotels but the management should also be ashamed of themselves for providing crap that reminded me of citrus-smelling adhesive remover and bar soap that turned to mush in my hands.

I believe location is the only thing positive about this place because it is downtown with plenty of parking, has a nice view of the river, and is right across the street from the Performing Arts Center but Wyndham should invest in a wrecking ball and Mr. Johnson would be rolling over in his grave if he knew this place was in such sad shape.

There are plenty of other choices to stay in downtown Tampa so avoid this place and stay somewhere else even if you have to pay a little more.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank glb310
Thank you for taking the time to provide with your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am sorry that you had a less than excellent experience. We are constantly making changes here and I hope you will return soon so that you may experience our exciting changes as well.
India
Reviewed June 9, 2009

My wife and I spent a week at this hotel. The hotel is in a very nice location just next to the Performing arts centre and is right on the bank of the river giving a very nice view of the river and the Tampa Skyline. The staff is very helpful. The breakfast buffet is wholesome and tastes good - not very lavish.The rooms are quite comfortable.

Stayed June 2009, traveled on business