“Perfect place to stay especially on a buget.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk

You added The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk to your Saves list
The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 W Fortune Street, 275N Ex-44 I-4/275S Ex-45A, Tampa, FL 33602 (Formerly Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown)   |
Affiliate website
Ranked #61 of 160 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Lithia
“Perfect place to stay especially on a buget.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

Awesome views, right off the interstate on the far side of downtown. The view of Tampa's skyscrapers is breathtaking. On the opposite side of the hotel is the river so you have great views all around. The rooms are clean and room attendants are friendly. In the lobby there is all original art which makes this hotel unique. The rooms each have an original photo of cool spots in Tampa. I will absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Larry C, General Manager at The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your stay. We truly appreciate all feedback and it is especially nice to hear when a guest enjoys their stay with us. Here at the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown Tampa providing guest satisfaction for a great value is our number one priority. Again thank you for your business

Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

Last month I stayed at this HoJo, just b/c I got a good deal last minute when I was traveling to Tampa for Business. Now I have to return to follow up with my clients and I'm choosing this hotel again! The location cannot be beat - just of the expressway coming into downtown from the airport and many options within the immediate vicinity (Performing Arts Center is just across the street). I also appreciated the staff's helpful and friendly demeanor - willing to provide the low-down on good restaurants/etc and places to avoid. I'd definitely recommend this hotel to any business travelers as well as any tourists with downtown Tampa as their destination!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
First and foremost I thank you for your business. I also thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Howard Johnson Plaza in Downtown Tampa. It is very nice to hear when we get it right. With the goal of outstanding service to every guest every time we pride ourselves on great reviews such as yours. Thank you
Montgomery, AL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

I read many of the previous reviews before booking this hotel for my first trip to Tampa. I based my purchase mainly on price and location, taking into account what other reviewers had said, and was still pleased with my choice afterwards.

Upon arrival, Michelle at the front desk was warm and courteous, something out of the norm these days. She gave me a late checkout time and the number to a cab company after I indicated I was going to Ybor City to experience the nightlife. Michelle stated that the free shuttle service operated by the hotel would take me to my destination and pick me up until 11pm (so I got a free trip to Ybor, and paid $8 for the return cab ride).

Yes, I only witnessed two out of the three elevators open when called, and although the interiors had been refurbished, they were older elevators as some of the buttons didn't light up and one unit had a distinctly old chime when traversing between floors. They had current certifications displayed and I arrived at the 8th floor unscathed.

I had booked a non-smoking room which was surprisingly nice and well maintained. Again, yes, I could tell the hotel was a little dated based on the room/bathroom layout/fixtures, and had been updated, but might not have noticed at all except that I read previous reviews. Everything was in working order and clean.

Another person indicated that their room keys had to be "reactivated" and I found this to be true as I had three keys become inactive. I know storing a magnetic key in your pocket along-side a cell phone or magnetic wallet will frequently deactivate them (which I did), but just in case be prepared to make a trip down to the front desk (with your I.D. or someone will have to escort you to your room to let you in and retrieve proof - - actually glad they did that!).

I didn't use the provided toiletries, as I carry my own, but they looked pretty standard. Not to discount a previous reviewer, but don't expect premium accouterments at a value hotel.

Oh and yes there was an $8 charge for parking...

I have read hundreds of reviews covering many hotels and haven't contributed nearly enough after a stay, and I was a little worried about this hotel, but afterwards I felt the need to put my 2 cents in the melting pot.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pulse54
We really appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your stay here at the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown Tampa. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit. It is always nice to hear that we have met the expectations of our valued guests. With the goal of delivering outstanding service to every guest everyday, we are pleased to receive feedback such as yours.
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

Another great rate from Hotwire.com but I “got what I paid for” because I honestly did not have a good time at this hotel which by the way is owned by Wyndham Worldwide.

The building is OLD and it showed in several places. The elevators were slow and made weird noises, key cards had to be reactivated twice, the T.V. reception was "snowy" and the rooms were worn. There was a pool but no spa / hot tub and the “fitness room” had two pieces - a stationary bicycle and elliptical. The electrical outlets were so loose the clothes iron and my phone charger would not stay plugged in and the light switches are definitely from the sixties. I even caught my roommate checking for bed bugs LOL!

The employees were cheerful and professional but I could not work there knowing that the management’s idea of “upgrading” was modernizing the lobby and throwing a wooden framed mirror in each bathroom and calling it quits. They should have continued because the tub and sink were both cracked and the exhaust fan was inoperable.

I’ve always been indifferent towards the complimentary shampoo, soap, and conditioner in hotels but the management should also be ashamed of themselves for providing crap that reminded me of citrus-smelling adhesive remover and bar soap that turned to mush in my hands.

I believe location is the only thing positive about this place because it is downtown with plenty of parking, has a nice view of the river, and is right across the street from the Performing Arts Center but Wyndham should invest in a wrecking ball and Mr. Johnson would be rolling over in his grave if he knew this place was in such sad shape.

There are plenty of other choices to stay in downtown Tampa so avoid this place and stay somewhere else even if you have to pay a little more.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank glb310
Larry C, General Manager at The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide with your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am sorry that you had a less than excellent experience. We are constantly making changes here and I hope you will return soon so that you may experience our exciting changes as well.

Travelers are raving about these Tampa hotels

India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

My wife and I spent a week at this hotel. The hotel is in a very nice location just next to the Performing arts centre and is right on the bank of the river giving a very nice view of the river and the Tampa Skyline. The staff is very helpful. The breakfast buffet is wholesome and tastes good - not very lavish.The rooms are quite comfortable.

Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown Tampa. We always enjoy hearing when a guest enjoys their visit with us. We are constantly striving to improve the guest experience at our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for your business and your feedback.
Henderson, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

Based on the previous reviews, I was very worried about this hotel. It's not even close to as bad as the reviews would have you believe.

Yes, the hotel is outdated. Yes, there are some serious flaws with the rooms (carpet that doesn't reach the window wall??).

But the service I got was very good. Everyone was very friendly and accommodating. The bed was actually pretty comfortable, considering the $65/night price. The shower was decent.

The one thing I will say - I don't think they should be charging $8/night for parking. I can only assume it is to discourage people from parking there for events at the Performing Arts Center. They could easily fix this by actually using the gate.

That being said, I would ONLY recommend this hotel to someone who may be traveling for business and doesn't care about anything but having a place to sleep for a very low price. If you want more upscale, you obviously wouldn't be choosing a HoJo.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
new york city
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2009

Warning to anyone planning on staying at this hotel:

This hotel is infested with bed bugs.. I woke up with bites all over my body. I have dealt with them before, they are no fun to get rid of. We found them behind the bed board.

Please be warned that if you stay here the bugs could get into your luggage and you can transport them to your home. It costs thousands to exterminate.

Do not stay here. They should be shut down, they have had bed bugs for years.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank broadwaytour
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am sorry that you were less than pleased with your experience. We have made many changes since your stay with us and I would love to have you come back to experience the many great changes we that have taken place since your last visit.