“got this hotel on AA miles”

The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk
Ranked #42 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I can confirm other review. Some levels are occupied by Tampa University students but they are really keeping quiet at night just keeping elevators busy. Rooms would need some fresh up but for a stop over ok. Car park is charged in addition USD 8.00. Hotel is providing free shuttle to some places in town. otherwise staff was friendly and helpful

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Larry C, General Manager at The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

We really do appreciate your feedback and value the time it took to review your stay with us. As the winter home for Crew Spring Training and with a location so close to the University of Tampa we are proud to house many university groups including the University of Tampa. Thnak you for your business and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

It was a comfortable room the only thing I didn't like was the fact that I had to search for my room because the number was gone off the wall and I had to pay for parking to stay at my hotel and when you're vacationing on a budget that's not good but the counter rep did work with me but I don't believe I will stay downtown again but overall the stay was great.

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you fro taking the time to review your stay with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Should you decide to stay downtown again I hope you will choose our hotel to experience the many exciting changes that are taking place. Thank you for your business.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We went to a show at the Straz Center - this hotel was in the perfect location. Hotel room was clean and very comfortable. Front desk was very helpful. Had reserved a king room, but the room assigned was a double - they quickly made it right. Used the chaffeur service which took us anyplace we wanted to go in the downtown area at no extra charge. We parked our vehicle and enjoyed Tampa!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown Tampa and apologize for the mix up on your room assignment. I am glad to hear they took care of you right away. It is always nice to hear when a guest has enjoyed their experience with us. Thank you for your business.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Larry C, General Manager at The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed here the week of spring break. Although I do not always take other people's reviews to heart, this time I have to agree that the hotel itself could use some updating. The elevators were slow (one was broken the whole time we were there.) Students EVERYWHERE! I do not like the floor showers in the rooms. Now for the good points! The complimentary shuttle was very helpful when we were going to places downtown such as Ybor City. The people at the front desk (Eneida and Jarvis) were very helpful and always had a smile on their faces.Chris (in the bar) was very kind and helpful and stored the fish we caught on a fishing trip in the kitchen freezer. The employees were the reason I gave the hotel 4 stars.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown Tampa. We really do appreciate your feedback. I am pleased to report that since your stay we have competed an overhaul and modernization of all of our elevators and they are now much quicker and smoother. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your business.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

The room size was good, it was a good value overall. We bought food from the restaurant downstairs twice. There was a problem with our room phone not operating but they fixed it that evening. The elevators worked part of the time, but thankfully we left for the convention across the street in plenty of time to allow for that. The housekeeping staff was friendly and respected our "do not disturb" sign. After getting to the airport, I noticed I had left my macbook in the lobby while checking out. The clerk at the counter noticed it and when I called, sent it to the airport with the security guard. I probably would have missed the plane if I had gone back to the hotel to retrieve the laptop, not to mention the two extra cab fares. That's "above and beyond" customer service!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Larry C, General Manager at The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2014

It's great to hear that our staff went above and beyond for you. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to review your stay at the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown Tampa. Feed back such as yours is invaluable in helping us to improve and recognizing what we are doing well. I am pleased that enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your business and we look forward to seeing you again.