“GOOD AND BAD”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Dallas, Texas
“GOOD AND BAD”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed here the week of spring break. Although I do not always take other people's reviews to heart, this time I have to agree that the hotel itself could use some updating. The elevators were slow (one was broken the whole time we were there.) Students EVERYWHERE! I do not like the floor showers in the rooms. Now for the good points! The complimentary shuttle was very helpful when we were going to places downtown such as Ybor City. The people at the front desk (Eneida and Jarvis) were very helpful and always had a smile on their faces.Chris (in the bar) was very kind and helpful and stored the fish we caught on a fishing trip in the kitchen freezer. The employees were the reason I gave the hotel 4 stars.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Larry C, General Manager at The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown Tampa. We really do appreciate your feedback. I am pleased to report that since your stay we have competed an overhaul and modernization of all of our elevators and they are now much quicker and smoother. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Czech first
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Reviewed March 18, 2013

The room size was good, it was a good value overall. We bought food from the restaurant downstairs twice. There was a problem with our room phone not operating but they fixed it that evening. The elevators worked part of the time, but thankfully we left for the convention across the street in plenty of time to allow for that. The housekeeping staff was friendly and respected our "do not disturb" sign. After getting to the airport, I noticed I had left my macbook in the lobby while checking out. The clerk at the counter noticed it and when I called, sent it to the airport with the security guard. I probably would have missed the plane if I had gone back to the hotel to retrieve the laptop, not to mention the two extra cab fares. That's "above and beyond" customer service!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Larry C, General Manager at The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
It's great to hear that our staff went above and beyond for you. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to review your stay at the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown Tampa. Feed back such as yours is invaluable in helping us to improve and recognizing what we are doing well. I am pleased that enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your business and we look forward to seeing you again.
Superior, Colorado
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I didn't stay at Howard Johnson's, but I did have drinks and appetizers at the Water Works in the lobby of the hotel prior to a concert at the Straz. I was pleasantly surprised at the variety of drinks and the selection of appetizers. I especially enjoyed the Shock Top beer on tap at a reasonable price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review Waterworks bar and grill located in the front of the Howard Johnson Plaza in Downtown Tampa. We are glad you enjoyed it.