Hampton Inn Tampa International Airport / Westshore
Ranked #34 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Lake Mary, Florida
“Unkept...”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I travel every week for work and stay in Hampton Inns frequently. This is an older hotel greatly in need of repairs ... I had trouble with a leaky shower and called the front desk. Maintenance came to look at it but never fixed it... I called back several times over my 4 night stay and this was never repaired. I was over looked for housekeeping as well. I requested housekeeping come in the early afternoon , but when I returned from work I found that my room was never clean up or was I given fresh towels. To say the least, I will not be returning to this hotel .

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank JoshHel
Paul P, General Manager at Hampton Inn Tampa International Airport / Westshore, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for your feedback in regards to the shower not working in your room. I've worked with our maintenance team to fix the issue, however I apologize that it wasn't resolved sooner. We have also addressed our housekeeping staff, and we again apologize for the lack of service you received. Thank you again for your review and I invite you to stay with us again the next time you return to the area.

Paul Perez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Bussum, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Hotel is an older Hampton Inn design and the rooms are quite small: two doubles, a desk and the dresser/armoire/TV/micro/fridge unit pretty much fill the room. That unit is less than two feet from the edge of the bed. Four of us (two adults, two kids) stayed four days and it definitely got a little cramped with time.

Staff was very friendly - always a "hello" or "good morning," opening doors, keeping breakfast open for a few extra minutes to let the family grab something before checking out, etc. I think Hamptons are training staff in the Ritz Carlton/Four Seasons routine (always acknowledge guests) but it works very nicely here.

Quirks: a dehumidifier in each room is odd. A/C is older window units. Thankfully this is controlled from a real thermostat on the wall so it keeps a good temperature, but they are quite loud. As mentioned above, no real closet, just an armoire that sticks out into the room stealing precious space.

Small exercise room (treadmill, cycle, and elliptical) but new equipment. Typical Hampton styling/furnishings otherwise.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Paul P, General Manager at Hampton Inn Tampa International Airport / Westshore, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for the feedback on our hotel. I am glad that our staff impressed you. We strive to be number one in hospitality. Please let us know if you are ever back in the Tampa Bay area.

Have a great day,
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We needed to be more observant when looking for West Laurel Street but found it on the second try. A GPS would have helped but we didn't think we'd need it. Otherwise, once we got to the hotel, parking was generous and the hotel was friendly, clean and with a good HI breakfast. We will definitely stay there next time we take off from Tampa Airport.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Missannie,

I am glad you finally found us! The benefit of being off of the main strip of Westshore is the quiet area and easily accessible once you know where we are. Thanks again for staying with us and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

I checked in and walked in to a very smoky room so I called the front desk and they said they don't have any more non smoking rooms. I said no problem I am checking out. Then all of a sudden they had 2 non smoking rooms for me and my coworker. He and I are diamond members with this hotel and this is what we get! Lies!?!?!? I will never stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Rexey
Paul P, General Manager at Hampton Inn Tampa International Airport / Westshore, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear Rexy,

We hate to hear that you did not have a good experience here at our hotel. Without knowing your specific details, I can not address your specific concern, but I can assure you that our staff assigns rooms by types that are booked. On our hotel website, reservations are made by room type that includes options for smoking or non smoking, two double or king beds, etc. I can understand your disappointment if you expected a non smoking room and walked into a smoking room. If you would prefer, please contact me directly so that I can research on your specific issue. We work very hard to ensure that all of our guests have the best experience possible, and we are very thankful for our Hilton Diamond members.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I like the hotel, the staff is great but there are some minor tweeks that need to be made in order to make this a great hotel. The hotel has a quirky layout in which the elevator is in the back of the hotel. The "breakfast" although free is not worth the price, it consists of processed eggs,cheap sausages or bacon and juice. A better breakfast can be found next door at La Bamba which is closed on the weekend. This a good hotel for an outgoing vacationer or business person who is going to use the hotel as a temporary base.

Room Tip: Avoid room 403 and any other room that has the room humidifier. The humidifier and air conditioning...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AWorldTraveler1
Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for your compliments on our staff. It is always good to hear that our service exceeds expectations. I hate that you did not have a good breakfast experience. A filling breakfast is always a great way to start your day. With our many options including oatmeal, pastries, made to order waffles, bagels, etc- I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your breakfast. La Bamba has a great breakfast and lunch selection, but with an additional cost. I hope if your travels bring you back to Tampa Bay, you will give us another try.

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed for only one night to catch a Rays game and fly out the next morning. The location was ideal for both the airport and the city center (15 minute drive to Tropicana Field). The property has obviously been recently renovated and it looks great. Everything, from the fixtures to the linens, are new and fresh. The room featured a spacious bathroom, microwave and refrigerator, and was very clean. I always appreciate the fact that Hampton has fresh duvets on all of the beds - so nice to get into a bed and not be afraid to touch the blanket! The room stayed extremely cool in the summer heat, but the hallways were simply unbearable. I would guess it was near 90 degrees in the hallways and elevators. Despite the stifling heat, all of the staff we encountered, including the housekeepers who were working in those conditions, were friendly and genuinely concerned about our satisfaction.

Parking, however, was an issue. The lot was literally packed full. There was a U-Haul truck that occupied 6 spaces. After returning late from the ball game, we had to park our vehicle on the curb on the road. While I understand the hotel staff has little control over parking, the lot is definitely an area of opportunity for this property. We snagged a great deal via Expedia (about $80 for a standard king), but I prefer to book directly through the hotel rather than use a third party. Unfortunately, Hampton would not match the rate offered through Expedia. Nonetheless, it was a good value and a great stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for staying with us while attending the Rays game. I do hate to hear that you did not have the best stay possible. We apologize for our air conditioning situation in the hallways. We had a slight maintenance issue, but that has all been fixed. While some vehicles do take up multiple spaces, we are very lucky to have the space on the street available for our guests. I hope that you will stay with us again so that we make your stay more enoyable.

Thanks again,
space coast
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I booked this hotel because the hotel my friend was staying at was sold out. However, when I went to visit her hotel a couple of blocks away and I was so glad I was at mine. EVERYONE was so friendly from the front desk, housekeeper, breakfast staff and even the maintenance person whose cart was full of boxes and was very busy - he even stopped what he was doing to just to say "hello" and say if I needed anything please let them know. Although my friends hotel was bigger and fancier - I feel I had the better value and much friendlier staff. Keep up the great job!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank floridatraveler1996
, General Manager at Hampton Inn Tampa International Airport / Westshore, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Dear FloridaTraveler,

We pride ourselves on our service and I am very happy to hear that you had a great experience here at the Hampton Inn. While our hotel is not the largest or the fanciest, we are very happy to be able to bring a smile to a guests face with our hospitality. Please come back and stay with us again when your travels bring you back to Tampa.