“Comfortable, clean hotel”

Hampton Inn Tampa International Airport / Westshore
Ranked #26 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for one night while traveling from Fort Myers, FL to Tampa, FL to fly out of Tampa International Airport. As with most Hampton Inns, this hotel was a clean and comfortable place to stay with a decent complimentary breakfast and complimentary wireless internet service.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,062)

Reviewed March 13, 2012

This Hampton Inn is an older property that has been renovated. I was greeted at the desk quickly at check-in. The employee was new and had not worked many nights alone. I prepaid to get a $93 per night rate. The desk clerk tried to charge me again for my reservation and was unsure how many nights I had booked(two). The room was ready for us and had all the standard toiletries. The king size bed was the usual Hampton comfortable bed. Breakfast Saturday morning was fine and well presented, but the breakfast area is too small when the hotel is full, as is the parking lot. The second morning was after we set clocks ahead one hour, we got to breakfast late(9:45am). This time they were cooking last minute food to serve until 10am. The breakfast area was full and they had opened the meeting room for overflow seating and there was still not enough seating. The desk clerk said she was sorry for the confusion, but with spring break and the start of high cruise season, they were again full. The hotel does offer free shuttle service to both Tampa International Airport and the cruise terminal. The reason I like Hampton Inn is I usually know what I am getting with my stay, but this property was not up to the usual standards. This was not the worst stay I have had, but neither was it the best

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms do not face the pool.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul P, General Manager at Hampton Inn Tampa International Airport / Westshore, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2012

Dear Bil D,

Thanks for your recent stay here with us at the Hampton Inn. I hate to hear that we did not exceed your expectations. We have hired some new front desk staff and hope that the next time you are here, there will be no confusion with your check in. I am glad to hear that you are happy with our new Hampton bedding. While it is rare that most guests come down at the same time for breakfast, we do our best to accommodate each guest with the space that we have. I am glad that the staff was proactive in opening our meeting room for the overflow seating, but hate that our famous complimentary breakfast experience was not what you expected. We do hope that you will try our hotel again in the future.

Reviewed March 9, 2012

I'm a regular business traveler to Tampa and have always counted on this hotel for a good stay at a reasonable price. But this time they were off their game. None of the vending machines on 6 floors had any water or diet soda. Shampoo missing from restroom toiletries. Breakfast was all carbs and no fresh fruit. Muffins were stale. Coffee supply packets in my room had been opened and partially used. Whoever orders supplies for this hotel better start paying attention because the friendly breakfast lady is only as good as the supplies she's given to put out there. On the positive side, my room was fine and the friendly van driver made sure I got to my meetings on time! Because of that I may give them another chance but only one more.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for your input. We appreciate you staying with us while in Tampa. I apologize that your most recent stay was not up to par to the experiences in the past. I have addressed our supply needs and hopefully we will not have that issue in the future. I hope that when you travel back to Tampa, we are able to exceed your expectations. I hope that you will give us another try.

Reviewed March 8, 2012

I spend upwards of 200+ nights a year at hilton properties all over the united states. Mostly Hampton Inns.

Upon check in at this facility there were two people working the front desk that decided to chat for a while before acknowledging my presence, and I had to mention my Diamond status.

The first night I found a bug in my bathroom, while I was sitting on the toilet, it was actually under the toilet seat and I saw it crawl out and go back under the seat from between my legs. Luckily I didn't pee on myself when I jumped up. This was a small black and silver looking bug, which I quickly killed and flushed. A little later on, the same night, I spotted another much larger bug on top of the mirror. This one was a reddish brown with long tentacles and from every picture I have researched on Florida bugs, I am now convinced it was a cockroach. I killed this bug as well, and the next day notified housekeeping of the issue. She apologized and quickly sent her supervisor.

The supervisor stepped into the doorway and asked where I found the bugs. I told her the bathroom and the mirror. She asked when I was checking out. I said wednesday, and she said that they would thoroughly inspect the room upon my check out. Not once did she offer to change my room.

The next few days I did not see bugs. They were probably hiding! That being said, I was not in the room much those days either.

On the 5th day a moth flew in my face. Then the 6th day another small silvery bug in the bathroom, this time thankfully on the floor instead, easier to step on! AND THEN ANOTHER COCKROACH! This one crawled up the wall from behind the TV. I didn't sleep until I was able to kill it, which the first time was a miss, but I waited for it to come out again.

When I complained upon check out after the 6th night, I was told that a manager would call me and I left my contact information. I had to call the hotel twice after leaving before receiving a call back 6 hours later! When the call came through, the manager, Paul Perez, was very unhelpful and rude. He talked over me and said that I did not do my part to give the hotel a chance to fix the problem. The only way to fix your problem is to exterminate, and if cockroaches are in one room, they are in them all! He said bugs come in this time of year. Really? I have stayed over 20 nights at other properties throughout Florida in the last month and none of them had bugs. He refused to comp the 3 nights that I found bugs in my room.

I have put in a call to corporate and hope that they will do their part to rectify this matter. This hotel is a disgrace to the Hilton name and a Motel 6 would be a much better value than paying $150 a night to live with the roaches and poor service!

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Any hotel would be better than this one!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank S D
Reviewed March 8, 2012

I stayed a few days ago at this hotel during my very first visit to Tampa. From the moment I walked throught the doors i felt a very good and pleasant atmosphere. The ladies at the front desk were very polite and friendly, the room was clean with a great clear service everyday. The place for the breakfast was very good as well as the breakfast itself. The lady who works there, australian Maria is super friendly, treated us VERY well and she does a GREAT job dealing with the guest and the food (refilling, maintening the buffet clean and also the tables which are in a separate room.) The adevnture of the trip occured when the battery of my car died because I left the lights on and we called the hotel and this guy named Matt (not sure but I think he's the one)came to save us and we were really thankful! I would definitely comeback again and would stay there for sure....and best of all would recommend it to other. Thanks~!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Paul P, General Manager at Hampton Inn Tampa International Airport / Westshore, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2012

Dear Tokyo Y,
Thanks so much for the nice comments. We appreciate you staying with us and hope that you will stay with us again if you are in the Tampa area. We certainly are very proud that you complimented Maria, our breakfast attendant. We are very happy to have here with us and we will let her know about the nice compliment.

Safe travels!

Reviewed March 6, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel twice now. I think the best thing about it is the location. You are right off the highway, next to two great malls, and minutes from the airport. The actual hotel itself is very nice too- it is updated, clean, and spacious. The breakfast is good, service is good. If I am visiting Tampa- I suggest this hotel to people, and I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Dear Travel8363,

We appreciate the nice words! It is always nice to hear great things about our hotel. The best compliment we can receive is regarding our service. We know that you have many choices and appreciate each guest that stays with us. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed March 4, 2012

although you can get great deals through hotwire they will not honour the booking and will book you in a smoking room even though you have booked a none smoking room.. also we had three people booked for the room and took a lot of fuss to get more than one bed even though not full at all.. not impressed.. will also follow up with hot wire..

Room Tip: if a hot wire customer make sure you phone the hotel before you go as what you book may not be what...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Paul P, Manager at Hampton Inn Tampa International Airport / Westshore, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for your input. I apologize that you were not satisfied with your experience. Through some of the 3rd party sites, when you book - the site assigns a room in our system to a room that is available without informing the guest of the type. In a sold out situation, it is difficult for our staff to change any room types since guests reserve the room type that they want.
Please keep in mind that you are always able to go directly to our website to make reservations as well.
If your travels bring you back to Tampa, I hope that you will try our hotel again so that we can display the service that you expect.

Paul Perez,