Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa-USF/Near Busch Gardens
Ranked #27 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Chicago area
“Nice Place”
Reviewed November 19, 2006

2 adults. 5 nights. Rate: $140 + $17 in taxes, per night. Business (with time for pleasure) trip.

PROS:

The staff was very good. The bellhop/shuttle guys and the front desk guy (Alex?) consistently exceeded expectations.

The hotel was clean and attractive both inside and out.

The room was clean (except shower walls) and comfortable.

The pool and workout facilities are small but nice.

Overall, the breakfast was good and a very nice perk, but the food wasn't great. The atrium area is kept clean and attractive.

A Cuban sandwich with fries from the on site restaurant was tasty and large enough to split for a late/light dinner.

CONS:

The lack of water pressure in the shower.

The shower walls were dirty. (Everything else was clean)

The ice machine on our floor (8th) wasn't working, and showed all the signs of being permanently out of order.

NOTES

Comment on noise:
Noise from the atrium is an issue in the front room of the suite, NOT in the bedroom.

Don't blame obnoxious guests on the hotel:
We had one bad night due to a couple in the next room having an unending, screaming fight, late at night. Eventually, I called the front desk. It took a long while, but they did send security (or were they cops) who took care of the problem.

• Liked — friendly business environment
  • Disliked — shower
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank zipzooml

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Cocoa, FL
Reviewed November 18, 2006

No matter how nice a hotel is, and this one is super nice, the primary mission is to provide a good night's sleep. On this, the Embassy Suites fails miserably, in my opinion.

The hotel has about eight floors surrounding a huge atrium. My room was a suite with a bedroom and a seperate living room with a sofa bed. I was travelling with my two sons and they took the beds and I took the sofa bed.

The problem with an atrium is that the noise from the ground floor restaurants, bar, etc. echos all the way to the top. My room was on the 5th floor and I could hear everything from plates rattling, people laughing, doors slamming, ad infinitum.

I'm a heavy sleeper but this kept me awake at night and woke me up in the morning. Even the "DING DING DING" sound of the elevator call signals reverberated thoughout the cavernous atruim and though the paper-thin wall of my room at all hours of the night.

As I said, the hotel *is* super nice. Their attention to detail is to be commended. Except, as most hotels do, they skimped on the sofa bed. Once again I found myself on a cheap piece of crap of a sofa bed. I will say it was better than the Sheraton in Orlando but still was a pain in the back.

If a hotel is going to offer a sofa bed as part of an expensive suite, they need to provide a decent mattress with it.

If not for the soundproofing issue, I would give this hotel an excellent rating. But, if you need a decent night's sleep for a vital business meeting the next day, or to be refreshed for a day long trip, you'd do well to bypass this hotel.

• Liked — Free beer
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't sleep on the sofa bed
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank Jedidad
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed November 5, 2006

We took a weekend family trip to Busch Gardens Tampa. The hotel was easy to get to, surronded by great restaurants and only a mile from Busch Gardens. The free shuttle was definately one of the highlights! They dropped you right off at the front gate and when we were exhausted from the park, we called the hotel and they picked us up 15 minutes later.
We stayed in a king suite. Good amount of room for a family of 3, but I wouldn't want to try packing more than 4 people in the room. Staff were always polite and helpful. I had one problem with an irratable waiter at breakfast, but I just overlooked that.
We ordered room service one night, a little expensive but the food was by far the best I have had at a hotel.
Our room was clean, the bed comfortable and the TV in the living room allowed my son and I to sleep while my husband watched football. Highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank mamiled
florida
Reviewed October 2, 2006

We stayed at this hotel for two days while visiting Busch Gardens. The staff was outstanding, rooms were very well maintained and clean. Any request we had was handled immediately and with friendliness. This is the second time we have stayed at the hotel (first time was in March 2006) and both times were fantastic. Many times, hotels in tourist locations are questionable; however this hotel is the exception!!!

• Stayed October 2006
3 Thank floridafamilyl
Isle of Man
Reviewed July 28, 2006

I stayed for a week in mid-July along with my wife & 16 year old son.
We found the large hotel very smart looking & very clean. The staff were all friendly & efficient, & the free shuttle bus that will run you to & from all nearby restaurants & attractions was very good (& if you get Tom as the driver you will have a very enjoyable trip). The bus runs on request, with no set schedule, which was great.
Our room was spacious, & equipped with a fridge & microwave (pity there wasn't an in-room safe).
The breakfast was very good, as was the 'managers reception' (free drinks from the bar, plus nibbles, from 5.30 to 7.30pm each evening). The restaurant was also very good.
The pool was clean & the free internet room was a great bonus, as I was unable to buy UK newspapers in the local vicinity.
As we didn't have a car, the only drawback was that if we wanted to go to downtown Tampa or further it meant using a taxi, which can prove expensive.

• Liked — free shuttle bus, friendly staff, managers reception, cleanliness
  • Disliked — no transport to attractions outside the 5 mile hotel shuttle bus limit other than taxis
  • Tips/Secrets — the 'kash & karry' (supermarket that also sells alcohol) is only a 10 minute walk away (or get the hotel shuttle)
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family