“Broken Elevators, No Brewed Coffee? Hot Water?” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa-USF/Near Busch Gardens

Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa-USF/Near Busch Gardens
Ranked #21 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
Jupiter, Florida
“Broken Elevators, No Brewed Coffee? Hot Water?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

It has been a little while since I stayed in a Embassy Suites, I have opted for the less expensive Marriot versions recently, but in this case, this hotel was more convenient so I gave it a try. It was as nice as the Embassy Suites I remembered, much better than the Marriot versions. I see in some other reviews that it was just remodeled, everything looks new and clean. Got a room on the 3rd floor, which was fortunate since only 1 of the 3 elevators was working. I think it is an 8 story building, so the one time we took the elevator, there was a long wait. The rest of the time, we took the stairs. Dont think the hotel was that full, USF was on Christmas break, otherwise it would have been a nightmare. We enjoyed the free drinks and snacks in the evening and the breakfast in the morning. There was a good selection for each. I heard some complaints from some of the other guests that they didnt start serving until 7am on weekends, but it didnt seem like a big deal. Normally, I would expect freshly brewed coffee to be available in the morning. All they had was a Nescafe machine that they forgot to turn on. The breakfast lady said she was sorry and opened the machine and put in a fresh bag of what looked like coffee syrup...yuk. You would think that at $160 a night, they could come up with something better than that. Water in the shower was warm, not hot. I really wanted to give this 5 stars because there is so much to like here, but the little things show a lack of attention to detail. I would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Not all stairwells are open to the 1st floor, ours opened to the 2nd floor only, unless you wanted t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
coopl3usf, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa-USF/Near Busch Gardens, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear magker,
Thank You for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I aplogize for the issue with the elevators which has been corrected. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the Managers Reception and Breakfast. I hope on your next trip to Tampa you choose to stay with us again.

Larry Cooper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I attended a Certified Occupancy Specialist conference from 12/19/12 - 12/21/12 at this hotel. I can only speak for the conference room experience because I did not stay in the room.

First the pros: The hotel is in a great location ... near Busch Gardens, on the USF main campus, close to I-75 & I-275, within 10 minutes of driving are almost 100 restaurants to choose from (most on Fowler Ave & Fletcher Ave). The atrium decor is great. It gives a feel of an open air court yard. There is plenty of parking.

Now for the conference. They accepted the reservation while the hotel was under remodeling construction. Day 1 started in Suite G. It was private & big enough for the class but the walls were too thin to keep out the noise from the other conferences going on.

Day 2 started with the class moved to a room on the second floor. The second floor had carpets pulled up & rolls of carpet laying around. It was a lawsuit waiting to happen. Fortunately the conference had no one confined to a wheel chair. There were parts of the carpet lifted up which some of the attendants stumbled on. The worst part came when some of the subcontractors started removing tile on the 7th floor. The jack hammer like machine's vibration could be felt in the classroom. The noise made it impossible to hear. I went to the front desk while the instructor tried to talk over the noise. I asked the front desk someone could put a halt to the noise. I was answered with, "The manager is not here. He is the only one that can ask." I explained the situation. All they said was there was nothing they could do because they were not authorized to tell the contractors what to do. At this point, I went to the 3rd floor & asked a mexican contractor in spanish where the noise was coming from. He directed me to the 7th floor. I went to the 7th floor and found the two workers using two tile removers. The noise was deafening. When I got their attention, I asked if they could hold up til 5 PM because we had a class that we could not hear. They apologized and said "no problem".. This all goes to show that the front desk were either lying or just not trying.

Day 3 started with the class moved back to the original room. This time the display easel was not moved to the room and the instructor could not display the equations. I went to the front desk and told them they forgot the easel. This time they gladly complied. the easel showed up 15 minutes later.

Oh yeah, the coffee was cold by the afternoon and was never refreshed. There were no microwave to warm them up.

Not sure about the room experience but the conference experience was not conducive to learning.

Room Tip: When booking a hotel make sure it is not under construction.
1 Thank Johnny-Boricua
coopl3usf, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa-USF/Near Busch Gardens, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Johnny-Boricua,
Thank You for commenting on your recent meeting at my hotel. I apologize for the issue with the noise from new carpet being installed in the corridoors and having to change rooms. I have addressed this with the construction crew as to eliminate this type issue in the future. I have also met with the banquet department about the cold coffee and the need to ensure we keep the coffee hot at all times. I hope the rest of your meeting went well and you will return to the hotel in the future.
miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I stayed here before for 1 day a couple of weeks ago, and again 2 days ago for 1 night, just so my husband and I could go to Busch Gardens. The location couldnt be any better. Literally 5 mins away from Busch gardens. They have a shuttlle that takes you there, and they give you their card to call them whenever youre ready to be picked up again. The breakfast buffet they have its amazing. everything you could possibly think of, they have it. And its FREE! When we checked in, the front desk agent that helped us was Mark, he was so professional and courteous with us, we really felt welcomed. A couple of minutes after i got to my room, he gave us a courtesy call to make sure everything was ok, and if we needed anything to call him. I have never experienced that in any hotel. This is really the only hotel in tampa i would go to again, and again. Thank you!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Maria A
Thank You for taking the time to comment on your stay. I was pleased to read that you are a return guest and again enjoyed the hotel. I have passed along to Mark how you mentioned the excellent service he provided. I hope the next time you come to Busch Gardens you choose to stay here again.

Helena, Mt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Stayed here 2 nights on business. Location is on edge of Univ. of S Florida campus with positives of a multitude of safe area for walking or running and would be very convenient for attendance at Busch Gardens; drawbacks of the location are that it is a difficult, long distance from the Tampa airport and restaurants or fast food aren't within reasonable walking distance, although the hotel does provide a shuttle. Service and amenities were excellent, including the usual Embassy Suites cooked-to-order breakfast and an evening reception with a decent variety of light snacks (not enough for a meal). Hotel was clean and meeting room was good. When I found I had to leave a day early, the hotel let me out of the reservation without charging the cancellation fee.

Dear ClarkCreek,
Thank for the positve comments concerning your stay at my hotel. I appreciate your feedback and glad that the staff was accomidating during your meeting. I hope on your next trip to Tampa you choose to stay with us again.

Cape Coral, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

This is a very busy area and we were looking for a hotel that would be central to everything we wanted to do. This hotel was close to both I-75 and I-275 as well as all the attractions. The rooms were clean, spacious and the free breakfast was outstanding. Better than any Denny's or Bob Evans. The free cocktails in the evening was a nice touch and included snacks for that after dinner nibbles alert. This was not our first stay and we plan to go back. The staff was very friendly and professional.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the elevators are much quieter. Higher floors facing Fowler provides a beautiful vi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
coopl3usf, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa-USF/Near Busch Gardens, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Cynthia-Rick J
Thank You for sharing your positive stay at the hotel. I was pleased that you enjoyed the service and location of the hotel. We pride ourselvers in servinga quality breakfast with the suite to start your day. It was nice to read that this wasn't your first visit and hope you stay again on your next trip to Tampa.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

This is a very busy hotel, located close to both the University of South Florida and Busch Gardens. I was expecting a difficult time here as I knew the staff would be busy keeping up with all the activity. I was pleasantly surprised that the staff addressed my every need in a timely and professional manner. Just one example: I was about to leave the hotel to give a speech when a button fell off my suit coat. Normally, my coat would be sent to a cleaners to put the button back on. Instead, the manager found someone on the staff who could sew the button back on immediately. I was so grateful.

The facilities are a bit tired from so much use and renovation is in order, as noted by some others. But for all intents and purposes, this is an ideal hotel for tourists as well as business travelers.

Anthony-Susan,
Thank You for taking the time to share your experience at my hotel. I was pleased that you enjoyed the service and we were able to fix your button. I have shared your comments with the staff and hope the next time your in Tampa you choose to stay with us again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Whenever I visit Busch Gardens (my last trip was in Sept) I stay at this hotel. It is very close to Busch Gardens, includes breakfast and free cocktails from 5-7. The ambiance is great and this is one of my favorite Embassy Hotels in Florida. I'm recommending it for business travel or couples visiting the Busch Gardens area. I didn't check out the pool so I can't comment on it.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
coopl3usf, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa-USF/Near Busch Gardens, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Octorafest,
Thank You for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the property. I appreciate how you enjoy staying here when visiting Busch Gardens. I have shared your comments with the staff and hope you have the chance to return and see Christmas Town. Again Thank You and hope to see you soon in the hotel.