“Nice folks - very quick to airport”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Airport/Westshore
Ranked #31 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Very convenient to the airport - and pretty much a straight across to down town/convention area, but there are lots of lights on the route. About a fifteen minute ride down to MacDill AFB. Right across the street from a mall with a decent food court and even a PF Changs - but gotta tell ya, I never needed dinner because the managers special had enough to fill up on. Sure it's not great food, but filling. The kitchen can also send food to the bar that I found pretty good. Had the ahi, it was pretty good for bar food. Rooms are the usual suites. The one I was in seemed a bit smaller than others I've stayed in, narrower. Could be related to the hotel being a condo prior to 'conversion'. The free breakfast was well done. The work out room was clean, and not crammed as many are. Three treadmills, three cross trainers and two recumbent bikes. Lots of open space for stretching and core work. Plenty of free weights and one universal upper body machine. The pool area looked nice, but I steered clear since it was in the 40's.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Lori L, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Airport/Westshore, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2012

Dear PJHoffnet,

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Embassy Suites Tampa-Westshore! Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor - I am sure future guests will be glad to know that you enjoyed the spacious fitness room and the great food in our restaurant.

Happy Travels,

Lori Lindstrom

Write a ReviewReviews (1,331)

Reviewed January 15, 2012

Recently stayed at the Embassy Suites Tampa Westshire and had a wonderful experience. We were going on a curise out of the curise port on Jan. 1st and arrived to Tampa 2 days early just to avoid any weather delays. This wound up to be a woderful destination. Only about 5 minutes from the airport and their courtesy transportation was wondereful. During our trip we used the shuttle a few times and it was timely and the drivers were very friendly. The pool area was very nice and accomodating. We enjoyed the breakfast which also offered an omelette station with a good assortment of other breakfast choices. If you don't care for their eatery, there is also a Waffle House next door although we decided to eat at the Hotel. This location was quite convienant as we decided to go to Disney World at only 1 hour away right off the highway.
Prior to our trip we hadn't made plans to go to the cruiseport so the desk clerk suggested Ship to Shore transportation. They contacted them for us and we were picked up on-time. Thier service was outstanding and we also decided to use them to get us from the cruise to the airport at the end of our trip. The fare was fantastic at $10/pp each way. If you commute only from this hotel, use their free shuttle. It runs every half hour. There is shopping across the street and it was a very safe area. We also had a spectacular view from our 11th floor window. See the fireworks on News Years Eve from as far as the eye could see was spectacular.
The room was wonderful and and very comfortable. Its always nice to have a seperate bedroom when traveling with the children.
I've read many reviews about this facility being outdated,, but it wasn't quite what has been described. For the price and location, this is a good choice for the value.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Lori L, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Airport/Westshore, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2012

Dear EnjoyingLifeAgain,

Thank you for writing about your wonderful stay at the Embassy Suites Tampa Westshore! I appreciate your well-written comments and I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

It's wonderful that you had the opportunity to see the Tampa fireworks on New Years Eve from such a great vantage point!

Thank you for making the Embassy Suites your hotel of choice in the Tampa area!

Reviewed January 14, 2012

This place is not typical of a Hilton property, so if you are used to thay sort of quality, you should think again about staying here. First night we checked in, although we had a confirmation of a non-smoking room, we were put in a smoking room on the smoking floor. The room was horendous, it smelled, the furnishings were severely stained, wall switches and air vents were filthy, ends of guest chair were black with stains, drapes smelled terrible, etc... I called front desk and was told there were no other rooms available in the hotel as they were overbooked. They apologized and told me the earliest they could move us was the next morning after someone checked out. The air conditioner did not work in that room that night and it was very warm. Service guy came and said it was probably that the chiller was down in the hotel. It finally came on sometime during the night after he left and never called back to let us know the status.

Next day, we were finally moved to another room about 1:00PM. Once we moved all the stuff there, I did a check of that room. While it was just a little bit better, as far as smell, the room is still terribly outdated and dirty. These are probably the original furnishings from when the hotel was built. When I looked in the shower, I was disgusted. The caulking in the shower was more black mold than white caulk. I again called front desk and asked for someone to come and bleach the shower. When they came they told me that bleach was not going to solve the problem and that the caulk would need to be replaced. They agreed it was terrible. Again there were no other rooms avaialble and after they tried for a few minutes to locate one, I was so disgusted with the whole situation I finally told them to forget it and we would stay in that room. they came back twice to try and bleach the bathroom, but somehow did not even look at the mold growing all around the top of the wallpaper, under the ledges in the shower, or around all the soap dishes and towel bars.

They did send a 6 pack of beer up to the room and took off two nights worth of costs for all the inconveniences. With the exception of the initial nght manager who was teribly stressed out the night we checked in due to lots of complaints (including one guy who's keys were turned off and other guests were assigned his room and were staying in his room with his stuff when he came back that night), the staff was very apologetic but also they seemed very embarrased about the state of their hotel. they all seemed to know how bad the accomodations are and they all kept telling me that they were all supposed to be remodeled this summer. Don't know how true that is or not?

Couple of other things - There was not one available during the lunch hour to even take an order for lunch in the restaurant. Finally found a guy who was willing to put in a manual order for me. There is no elevator in the parking garage so make sure you unload before parking. Drains were bad in the sinks so water backs up. Beds are very soft.

On the plus side - gym was pretty good and breakfast was good.

This is not the typical Embassy Suites and it seems obvious that the owners of this particular franchise are not very interested in keeping up the Hilton standards.

Room Tip: They said there were only two rooms that have been updated in the hotel. Good luck trying to get on...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Fl0ridaFamily123

Dear FloridaFamily123,

We never want our guests to feel that our accomodations and service are unsatisfactory.
I am glad that when you did have an issue that the staff did everything they could to make the situation right for you.

We are so glad you enjoyed our great breakfast!

Reviewed January 13, 2012

Nice location but outdated and a bit dirty...they charge $8 daily for parking? It's not a resort location...parking deck needs cleaning and repair.

• Stayed: January 2012

Dear Talkgeorge,

I appreciate that you took the time to post a review on Tripadvisor! The garage is cleaned on a consistent basis; it is unfortunate that it appeared less than clean during your stay.

I am glad you enjoyed the convenient location of the Embassy Suites Tampa Westshore! It is one of our best advantages in that it is near downtown, very close to the airport, and great shopping!

Thank you again for choosing the Embassy Suites!

Reviewed January 12, 2012

On the road again!
Good place to stay if you have to stay in Tampa - I saw the hotel down the road where my co-workers stayed... stay here.
Don't plan on room service if you get in late - it's not really available as late as the menu says it is. The bar closes early, too, and it's a bit hidden, so ask if you need either.
Other than that, great. Bed is very comfortable, room has tons of space, and is very quiet, even near the elevators. Great view if you're on a high floor, and there's a mall and a Walgreens nearby if you've forgotten something.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, and you are in the South, so be sure to indicate if non-smoking is important.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business

Dear rrruby,

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Embassy Suites Tampa Westshore! It is always nice to know that our guests have enjoyed their experience while staying with us! Thank you for taking the time out of your day to write a response on Tripadvisor.

Reviewed January 9, 2012

I stayed at the Embassy Suites Tampa Westshore with my family over the 2012 New Year’s week. When I arrived I could see that there was a lot of noise and a dust cloud due to construction work in the lobby. During my 5 night stay I found that the room was dirty, the House Keeping Staff was rude, and the staff was not knowledgeable and seemed quite unwilling to help.
As a Hilton Honors member, I have stayed at the Embassy Suites on many occasions and have never had such a distasteful experience.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family

Dear Jeff E,

I appreciate that you took the time to post a review regarding your recent stay at the Embassy Suites Tampa Westshore. I wish I had had an opportunity to speak with you while you were still a guest at the hotel. Obviously we hope that every guest has a wonderful stay, and if they aren't, we like to know about it at the time so that we can rectify the situation right away.

I will be printing your review and will share it with our staff so that they are aware of your perception of the service you received.

Thank you again for your review of Tripadvisor!

Reviewed January 7, 2012

Suprised by the lack of the trademark atrium area, breakfast was served in a large room crowded beyond belief. More like what you expect from say Comfort Inn on a busy morning.
The room was fine and the rest of the stay was fine.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Lori L, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Airport/Westshore, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2012

Dear Pageezer,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay on the Tripadvisor site. We appreciate all feedback as it allows us to know our strengths and areas that we may need to work on.

As you can imagine, the holiday week-ends were very busy for hotels in the area. I apologize if the flow of the breakfast area ran slower than one would hope. Everyone likes to linger over their cooked-to-order omelets!

Please contact me directly if you will be coming to the area in the future so that I may personally take care of your reservations and ensure that you have a fabulous stay!