“Would Not Recommend” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Best Economy Inn

Best Economy Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tampa
Best Economy Inn
You added Best Economy Inn to your Saves list
Ranked #139 of 161 Hotels in Tampa
Dallas, TX
“Would Not Recommend”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

Let me disclose here that I am usually a big fan of the Choice Hotels group, as they usually offer very good value for money, but if this was the first Choice Hotel I had ever stayed at, I doubt I would ever have used the group again. This particular Econo Lodge tarnishes their reputation. I will however continue to use other Choice Hotel establishments.

The biggest negatives are the general condition of the building. It oozes neglect and decay. The other negative is the location; really tatty and undesirable. There is an old disused train restaurant comprised of railroad cars covered with a grubby shed type structure directly opposite the parking area. It may have been great in the past, but now it's all in a terribly neglected state. There has just been no attempt at all to make anything about this hotel presentable.

Regarding the rooms: I'm not prone to exaggeration so I'm not going to say that there was an inch of dirt on the floors or anything like that, let's just say that it left little to be desired and was dark and dingy - even with all the lights on! Shower and bed were OK but the overall feel of the place overshadowed any acceptable points it may have had.

It was quite a drive to find a halfway decent restaurant. I usually walk to a restaurant from my hotel and tried from this location, but gave up after 15 minutes as it was obvious that the neighborhood and busy road were not exactly conducive to a pleasant evening walk.

Having stayed in hundreds of hotels around the world, this has to rate as one of the least memorable.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank MikeDallas_TX

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Freeport, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

These are among some of the worst reviews Ive ever read about a hotel! I didnt have as bad an experience. Yes, when we drove in, the place did look old and run down. But, it was too late to cancel without penalty, so we forged ahead. The desk clerk was a delightful young woman who was so pleasant and willing to help. The room was old, and very basic, but as clean as it could be, given the age. (There are no hairdryers or alarm clocks) The AC was a bit loud, but it worked well. The mattresses were too soft for my taste. The continental breakfast was better than I expected. Coffee, tea, muffins, danish, juice, bagels. Again at the checkout, a different very pleasant woman. Cleaning staff was polite and friendly too. All and all, it really wasnt all that bad!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
British Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

Our first night in Florida after a late flight, and not knowing the area, we just entered 'nearest hotel' into our GPS after driving around a bit. We're not averse to staying in budget hotels, so by appearance this one looked pretty good when we drove in. Didn't see anything to concern us at check in, and the room seemed reasonably clean and didn't smell.

Went to bed, and woke up after constantly hearing loud footsteps (high heels?) on the concrete walkway outside the room, and voices all night. Woke up again to hear pounding on the door of the unit next to us, and the cops yelling at someone to come out. Peeked through the door viewer to see a couple of cruisers parked outside for 30 minutes or so, then everything was silent for the rest of the night. After reading the previous reviews, I get the picture. I worried about our brand new rental Maxima parked right in front of our room, but there were no problems.

I must say, being country Candians from a small town, this was an interesting 11 day trip. Florida is a wonderful state, the people were very nice and we will definitely be back. But we learned a lot about checking out an area before you stay at a hotel, a simple drive through with eyes wide open is all you need to do.

• Stayed February 2009
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank Two-K
magmicro
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

Im a college student and have stayed in many cheap hotels/motels before but this dilapidated commode was the worst place I have ever had the displeasure of staying in. I actually can't believe I gave these people my money. To start off describing this mistake of a business establishment, when I pulled into the parking lot I was pretty scared, this little armpit motel is in the heart of the ghetto - ok whatever...its cheap. I had to walk around police tape to check in because one of the guests had driven her car through the pseudo-lobby. The room itself wasnt bad except that fact that the color tv appeared green and the shower knob broke off when i tried to turn it on. The worst part was the next morning instead of courtesy call to remind us of the 11am check out time we get some lady banging on our door like the police. I asked her to give us some time to get our stuff and she replied with "I dont think so!", wow...FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NEVER STAY HERE

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — rude staff
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank magmicro
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2009

By far the worst hotel I have ever stayed at in my life. Totally disgusting and smelly. The entire room was damp and moldy. Even the shower made me feel dirty. If this is your only choice- STAY HOME!!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everythin
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
andrealabby
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2008

We were so disgusted at the condition of the hotel and at the other people who were staying there, as others have mentioned, drug deals, etc. The crib we requested had mold on it and the pain was chipping off. The manager's little girl (about 5) was in the lobby while I was checking in and asked me for spare change. Our feet were black from walking on the carpet and the bathrooms had at least an inch of dust on the floor in the corners. The toilet seat was filthy and the free shampoo was an old bottle that they apparently refill. We were able to find a much nicer hotel in a better neighborhood and closer to Busch Gardens for $10.00 more per night and it was clean and bigger. The staff was much nicer and needless to say, it was worth the extra fifty dollars.

• Liked — They refunded our money, we didn't stay one night.
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Puerto Rico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

My God, what a bad experience. From the minute you get close to this hotel I got bad feelings. This hotel is in a very bad condition, So dirty. Discuting. We had three rooms reserved at this hotel and jsut to give it a chance we did the check in but we were all scared. The minute we entered the rooms we wanted to leave. In my room there was a mark on the window that looked like a bullet hit it. My kids and nephews were very nervous and scared. My kids were crying. We felt very scared there, so we went and the three families and did the check out. We were very pleased to leave that place. We went to the Hotel La Quinta and really felt save there. Thank God they had 3 rooms available.

• Liked — nothing at all
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tampa
Garden View Motel
Garden View Motel
#96 of 161 in Tampa
4.0 of 5 stars 8 reviews
Baymont Inn & Suites Tampa Near Busch Gardens
La Quinta Inn Tampa Near Busch Gardens
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Tampa N - Busch Gardens Area
La Quinta Inn & Suites USF (Near Busch Gardens)
Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North
Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North
#1 of 4 in Temple Terrace
4.0 of 5 stars 665 reviews

Been to Best Economy Inn? Share your experiences!