“Is this place still open?!”

Travelodge Tampa/ West Of Busch Gardens
Ranked #135 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Germantown WI
“Is this place still open?!”
Reviewed February 9, 2006

Out of curiosity I checked for reviews on the property. We stayed here in Dec of 2000. I can't believe this place is still open! When we stayed here we almost walked out but because of the rate and because we were so tired we decided to stay. My wife calls this the adventure room. The toilet would rock when sat on. The sink wouldn’t drain, the vent in the bathroom was clogged, the phone book was a year out of date, there was some creative electrical wiring, and we had to wear our shoes in the room because our white cotton soaks would turn brown after walking from one side of the room to the other. Service/housekeeping was non-existent, the front desk man acted as if I was only an interruption. The only souvenir we got was empty beer can in a brown paper bag by our car in the morning (we left it). What I can’t understand is after reading these recent reviews are why the Tampa board of health has allowed this place to remain open. If you don’t believe these current reviews check out these photos. If you stay here be thankful you only leave with a bad memory.

• Stayed December 2000
9 Thank BARFESSER

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Korean first
Reviewed February 4, 2006

We were visiting from Ontario Canada with our young daughter over her 8 birthday. We were going to Busch Gardens and thought Days Inn is a good chain of hotels. Most are but this location is the exception. When we checked found our room it was located at the rear of the building. Men were hanging out in the balconies. The staircases were filty. When we got into the room we should have left immediately but thought oh well it is only one night. Well this was a nightmare. The room smelled. The carpet was so gross I refused to walk barefoot. The bathtub was rusty and the shower faucet was away from the wall. The t.v. remote was missing so when my husband went to call the front desk all we could do is laugh. The phone jack was pulled out of the wall. The only good thing about this place was that Denny's is attached and the food there was good. Do not stay here unless you are staying for 1 hr.

Stayed February 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 24, 2006

This Motel not a hotel was filthy. The room stunk of mold. The carpet was stained and dirty to the point that I did not want to take my shoes off. The bathroom was disgusting to say the least. There were several burn marks on the tub and the floor was just grose. There was a beat up old desk and a ripped office chair a dirty microwave and fridge. Around the side of the motel the windows were broken and boarded up. I am not sure if this was a rent buy the hour and or by the month, either way I did not feel safe. If I did not get in so late that night I never would have stayed there. I went to Tampa because I was entered in the Eukanuba dog show. Let me tell you it is an honor to be invited to such an event an I was never so disapointed in where I had to stay. This place should be torn down. First thing in the morning I got on the phone to find a new place to stay. I found a place at Amerisuite. It was very nice. The price was high but at least I felt safe and comfotable.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Miami, FL
Reviewed December 4, 2005

The smell of mold and mildew hits you hard when I walked in the room. There was black mold spots on the ceiling, and a large stain on the side of the matris that looked like blood. This place should be torn down! It neads major repairs. The only reason I stayed is no other reasonalbe rates were avaliable and it was within walking distance of Bush Gardens. Do yourself a favor and spring a bit extra for a quality hotel.

• Stayed November 2005
11 Thank tyler954
Reviewed November 1, 2005

The Days Inn by Busch Gardens is in a great location. It is only about a half a mile from the park, unfortunately they are not aiming for repeat business. First of all the smell of mold nearly knocks you over as you enter the room, but the worst was the bed linens reeking of urine. I called the front desk to inform them and asked for a new set. I waited an hour before I went down to complain in person. The girl at the front desk immediately picked up the phone and called housekeeping to go to my room and change the bedding. We did not get back from Howl-O-Scream until 3 AM. We went to our room exhausted and ready for bed. Unfortunately when we got there the note we had left and bedding were still there. I called the front desk to no avail, so I had to go down to the front desk again! There was a man there this time, who of course apologized and when I explained to him what had happened he was laughing because housekeeping had already left at the time we had gone down! I confronted the woman in the morning about making an erroneous phone call to housekeeping, she had nothing to say. - -

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
yorkshire england
Reviewed October 20, 2005

Hi please do not stay here. We arrived checked in thought great location for busch gardens drove around the building to our room there was what i think must of been a hooker and her pimp outside a room found that very disturbing with the children.anyway we got to our room opened the door and were almost knocked out by the stench one of the beds was collapsed heater hanging off the wall we stuck to the carpet it was so disgusting we didnt dare venture to the bathroom.I refused point blank to stay in such a dump we checked out in a flash . I would not put a dog in such bad conditions. We wanted to stay close to busch gardens and found the baymont inn across the street which was absolutely fab we stayed 2 nights, but we did find the whole area very dodgy not a place to be out with children .PLEASE BEWARE

• Stayed December 2004
6 Thank Ericadix711
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed August 29, 2005

We stayed at this hotel from 8/25-8/27. We have always felt the Days Inn was a safe choice to make when wanting a clean, reasonably priced hotel to stay at, when traveling. We don't feel that way anymore. The first room we were offered (347) didn't have a working shower or toilet. We then found ourselves in room 353. The only way I can describe it is a "dump". The bathroom floor was filthy, caked dirt in the corners. There was mold along the calking. The bathtub had clumps of plaster on the edge and a dead roach in it. The tissue box was stained and dirty by the sink. The TV had a sticky substance all over the screen. The chair fabric was VERY stained and it looked to me as though one of them had been chewed on. The blankets were stained, the carpeting frayed. To make matters worse our room was NEVER cleaned for our second night stay. (We would have gone to another hotel but were too busy and tired to bother. We now wish we had done that) We left the room at 12:00 noon. We made it a point of taking the "do not disturb" sign off the door thinking we'd at least have fresh sheets and towels upon our return. That was just too much to hope for. When I called the front desk to ask why our room hadn't been cleaned, I received no explanation, just a "we have clean towels up at the desk if someone wants to come get them". What's going on here? There are WAY too many hotels, all in the same area, with comparable prices for this hotel to be run this way. We were told by the front desk the hotel was being renovated. What does that have to do with providing your guests good service and a clean room NOW?

7 Thank Mary G