“Great value Clean and recently renovated Courtyard”

Courtyard Tampa Westshore/Airport
Ranked #60 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
New York City, New York
“Great value Clean and recently renovated Courtyard”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I stayed at this Marriott for about a 2 month period for a work assignment and was happy with my stay. Overall the staff was friendly and responsive whenever I had an issue which was not often it was addressed. The hotel was clean and recently renovated in the lobby. The rooms were fairly up to date as well. Below are some thoughts:

Location
The Courtyard is located at a pretty busy intersection. There is construction on Westshore and so there are a few detours to the on ramp for the highway. If you have to be somewhere at a certain time then you should build in some lead time for the highway detours. The detours weren’t that bad but if you are not prepared for it then it could be annoying. The location was pretty quiet and I didn’t have complaints about much noise.
The Yankees spring training stadium is also not too far away. It’s about a 5-10 minute drive.

The courtyard has a bistro but the food is not that great. It’s a courtyard and so I don’t expect the food to be amazing. However, there is a Brickhouse restaurant right next door to the hotel. There is actually a gate that provides a shortcut. The food is pretty good and they have a pretty decently priced happy hour- half off appetizers and inexpensive drinks. There is an also a mall nearby that has the Cheesecake factory, Capital Grille and the Blue Martini. There is also a Brazilian Steakhouse nearby.
Transportation
You definitely need a car if you want to get around. The hotel does have a shuttle that can take you to the nearby attractions and restaurants including the mall but you will have to wait to be picked up depending on how busy it is. The shuttle also takes you the airport.

Amenities
The Courtyard has an outdoor seating area, pool and exercise room. The exercise room is fairly small with only about 4 machines. There is also a game room that has tennis tables. I honestly didn’t use the amenities that much and so I can really speak to how great they are.
The rooms do have free internet which was a standard connection. I have a hotspot and so I typically prefer to use it instead.

Staff/Customer Service
The staff was pretty friendly. I had an issue during one stay about the cleanliness of my room upon arrival and it was addressed in a professional manner. I’m not one to form an opinion about an establishment due to one mishap but I will form an opinion based upon the response to the mishap.

If you are looking for an affordable, clean and fairly new location to stay in Tampa then this courtyard is a great location.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Beverly M, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa Westshore/Airport, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Thank you for the great feedback on your recent stay with us. I am so glad that the rooms, our staff and our overall location worked well for you. As you mentioned we are pretty accessible to a lot of restaurants and shopping nearby, with a tropical pool and Courtyard area to relax in. I will definintely share your feedback with my team. Thank you for staying with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Korean first
OHIO
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I went down here for a conference in November 2013. Paid $89/night for three nights. I thought the hotel was very nice and that the location was solid; it's about 15 minutes to downtown with traffic and is much cheaper than staying downtown. Easy access to the airport and to bridges to Clearwater/St. Pete.

I didn't understand the previous comment about no wi-fi in the rooms. I had free wi-fi in my room and it worked well. The hotel has been recently updated, so that's a plus. Parking could be a little dicey here, but I was able to find parking fairly late on all 3 nights. Pool seemed nice, and I think there is table tennis here, so your kids have some potential recreation options within the hotel if you're looking to stay here instead of somewhere more expensive.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Beverly M, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa Westshore/Airport, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you for the great review of our hotel. We really appreciate the feedback. I am so happy that you enjoyed the rooms, pool area and the table tennis options we have for families. Thank you for staying with us!
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed April 17, 2014

No WiFi in the rooms. Must go to lobby for internet access. No WiFi in convention rooms either. Fitness Center: 2 of 3 elliptical machines did not work. I expect much more from a Marriott. For this level of amenities, I could have stayed (and paid) for a Motel 6.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank yo for the feedback on your recent visit to Tampa. I am so sorry that you did not have a good experience while here. I am not sure if the feedback given was for the Tampa Westshore Courtyard by Marriott or another Marriott in our area -as we do not have 2 elliptical machines in our exercise room and we do offer compliementary wi-fi everywhere in the hotel including our 2 meeting rooms. However whether it was our Courtyard or another Marriott in Tampa your feedback is very valuable and we will use it to ensure our guests have a great stay. Thank you again.
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I recently stayed here on business at a night rate of $229. I was asked on checking in if I minded a room change as the ones that had been booked were not available. I was awarded with a room with a king-sized bed. This was ok until I found that my room faced the highway and there was construction going on. I immediately understood why they had room vacancy problems. Hearing the sound of a back up horn until after 11p and then again beginning at 4 am did not lend itself to a restful atmosphere. The bathroom area was small and VERY poorly lit. The room otherwise was very typical of this chain. It was clean and well kept with the exception of the carpeting which appeared to be quite old. The other issue that I had was the air/heating unit being horrendously loud when it went on and off. I left a note for the housekeeping staff and the maintenance staff promptly took care of the issue for me, and went so far as to leave me a message on my room phone that if it was not to my satisfaction to let him know. It was fine until about 2am when it began acting up again, at which point I turned it off (again). I did leave another note on checkout. The Bistro was nice however after traveling all day you do not necessarily want to wait on yourself. Breakfast was good and of course Starbucks Coffee choices were fantastic. Security was apparent and that made me secure. Overall this hotel was a bit more than I would have spent given that it is only a Courtyard. Add to that the room noise from traffic (motorcycles were very common during the night) and construction, one would definitely want an inside/pool side room.

Room Tip: Ask for an inner room facing the poolside. The outer rooms are VERY noisy and you hear traffic all...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Beverly M, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa Westshore/Airport, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Thank you so much for the feedback on our hotel after your recent visit. I am so sorry the highway construction and AC noise prevented you from getting a good night sleep. I can certainly understand your frustration and have been in contact with the crew to alleviate this issue. I appreciate the feedback so we can continue to improve our hotel and service. Thank you for the great comments on my team, and I do hope you come back for another visit soon.
Naples, Florida
Reviewed March 25, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this Marriott property after attending a spring training game at George Steinbrenner Field. As stated on their website, the rooms have been recently renovated and they are clean, comfortable and well located to I-275 and local attractions. There is also a Brickhouse Tavern and Tap room right next door which makes dining easy for a burger and beer. My issue with the hotel was the service. As Platinum Elite members (we have stayed at Marriott properties over 130 nights last year) we asked for an upgraded room, being we were assigned to a first floor room. We were advised there were none available. We also were offered the choice of a small bottle of wine or a Starbucks coffee in the morning. At other Marriott properties a free breakfast is normally included for this category of membership. We opted for the coffee, but the next morning upon leaving the hotel, we requested a latte and was first denied it because our room number was not on the list, then told that only a small drip coffee was included.
First, it occurs to me that if you have reached this level of membership, breakfast should be included. There are many other hotel chains that offer this with no membership of any level required, secondly, having to wait for the employee to "verify our coffee is included with our room" was embarrassing. There were two of us, and we asked for ONE latte. In my opinion, the employee should simply fill the request and satisfy the customer. I don't think the manager would have a problem with that, in fact, I would think he/she would encourage his employees to accommodate the customer with such a small request rather than allow them to leave with a "bad taste in their mouths" so to speak.
In any event, we left there wondering why we chose a Marriott that offers it's elite members nothing instead of another property that not only includes breakfast, but actually strives to make their customers happy.
All that being said, it was still deserves a "very good" rating as far as the property itself.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor. Rooms on first floor near pool need to have drapes drawn.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
james f, Manager at Courtyard Tampa Westshore/Airport, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Thank you for your candid feedback on your recent visit to our property. I do apologize that you were only able to receive one free coffee in the morning. As for the breakfast Courtyard Brands aswell as most Marriott Resorts do not offer free breakfast anymore as of 12/31/13. Im very proud that you enjoyed your room and stay overall and we look forward to having you back again. Thank you again for the feedback and the opportunity to improve.
S Wales
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Stayed one night at a rate of US$169 + tax =$189 booked off the Marriott website.

It's a decent example of a Marriott Courtyard. Comfortable, wifi worked, etc. You know what you are getting.

Small pool in a central courtyard and a small gym. There is a restaurant/bar next door and a reasonable selection of other food outlets including a WaWa a short walk away. Having said that, he location has nothing special to recommend it - it's just a hotel by a freeway.

I chose the hotel as i need to be in the Tampa area and it was the best cost/location for my needs.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
james f, Manager at Courtyard Tampa Westshore/Airport, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for the great review! I will be happy to share your responses with my team. Please come back soon.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Quick look: Clean and comfortable as expected with this popular chain owned by Marriott. The real winner at this location is the helpful and welcoming staff / management.

In depth review: Had a one night stay in Tampa before heading out the next day to visit family in Madeira Beach. First of all we got off our plane and collected our luggage, I called the airport and requested the shuttle service. The driver appeared within 15 minutes and the driver was very friendly and helpful. Wish I caught his name but he was a longtime Tampa resident (wore glasses) and pointed out the notable landmarks we passed on the short trip back to the hotel. The shuttle driver said the vehicle was available until 11pm and that he would happily take us to dinner at the nearby mall, said to just come down to the lobby when we were ready to go.

The lady at the check-in desk was very friendly and was expecting us. Took me maybe 3 minutes to collect the keys and be off to the room. Room was modern and clean. Very comfortable, had a balcony that overlooked the busy 275 freeway (oh well). Note: you cannot hear the highway when the sliding glass door is closed.

When we came down about 90 minutes after checking in we were told that the driver had just stepped out for his dinner break. The front desk manager named James was apologetic and offered to call us a taxi cab. After hearing that a cab would take up to 30 minutes and we would not make our dinner reservation, James offered to take us to the restaurant. We accepted his kind offer. James was a total stranger and went out of his way to make sure my wife and I made it to dinner on time, this is true hospitality. James seemed to know everyone including guests checking in and people at our restaurant. This guy is a true asset to this company and we thank him for stepping up like that!

Later that night the original shuttle driver picked us up after our meal and returned us to the hotel.

Removed a star as the room had a few issues that should be addressed like: weak water pressure and a jumpy cable television picture.

The next day we were able to check out quickly, grab a Starbucks coffee at the Bistro in the lobby and be off. Some great people working at this Courtyard by Marriott and I am happy to recommend them and return on our next visit to Tampa.

Room Tip: Backside of hotel overlooks the busy 275 freeway, ask for a room overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the great review of our hotel, our staff and especially James. I have shared your feedback with James and my entire team. I hope you will come back to see us on your next visit to Tampa!