“Great Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #60 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
Newport News, Virginia
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel provided me a great stay. The rennovations were completed and room, hallways and public spaces were immaculate. The staff was courteous and helpful. They have a great Bistro providing excellent meals and a Starbucks. Good location with access to I-275 and stadium, along with other entertainment venues. Nice shaded courtyard and pool. Recommend

Room Tip: Get a room above the 1st floor
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Beverly M, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa Westshore/Airport, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and our great new rooms! I am so grateful for the very kind words ayou have about my team, and I am glad you enjoyed the great new items on our Bistro and Starbucks menus!

Please come back to visit us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

I just spent one night here, and as the previous reviewer stated, they are under renovation, but luckily it wasn't noticeable for me except for the lack of the far elevator. There was no noise disturbance. I did request a quiet room.

The upgrades were nice, such as the hallways & rooms had new paint, but you could still detect a few things that would be harder to upgrade, such as the way the doors shut so loudly and the toilets also are loud.

I like that there are refrigerators in the room, and our room had an especially nice view of the pool area/nicely landscaped courtyard. Plus a cute balcony facing the courtyard.

The front desk people were very helpful, and my boyfriend was able to get their free shuttle from the airport to the hotel. Also they gave me good directions to Whole Foods which is nearby.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I really appreciate you staying with us through our renovation and thank you for your understanding about the elevator used during the redo. I am glad you enjoyed the new upgrades to our rooms and corridors, and know that I have taken note of your concerns with the doors and toilets,so that we can make your entire stay enjoyable. I am so happy you had the opportunity to enjoy our Courtyard and pool area. It is really our own little tropical paradise!

Thank you again for staying with us and please come back!
Brentwood, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

Note: This facility is under heavy remodeling and one elevator is out of order and the workout facility is also closed.

Stayed here for an early morning flight out. Very nice facility that is being upgraded. The remodeled parts of the hotel are excellent and very inviting. The remodeled room we stayed in had excellent bedding and pillows. The staff are exceptional and the stay in general was great. Not the most runner friendly area for longer runs if you want exercise. Nearby Marriott offers a workout facility while this one is closed. Lots of food and drink nearby and within walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for remodeled room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank gr8webguy
Beverly M, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa Westshore/Airport, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for your great feedback about our hotel! I am so happy that you like our location and our newly renovated rooms. And I am thrilled about the comments about my team! We have also upgraded all of our rooms with brand new air conditioning units, which as you know in Florida is crucial. I do apologize that this phase of the renovation included the areas of our exercise room and our 2nd elevator, causing us to close them while they are completed. We did arrange for complimentary use of the brand new L.A Fitness facility close to our hotel, and our shuttle will be happy to take you and bring you back after your work-out. Thank you again for staying with us, and I hope you will come back again very soon.
Kalamazoo, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

As Marriott Rewards members, we stayed here one night on our way back from Lakeland, wanting a hotel close to the Tampa airport for our next-day flight. Self-parking was free and ample. At check-in, I was surprised by how modern the lobby was. There were no issues with our reservation or billing. The room was a standard Courtyard layout, nothing surprising or unusual. As in virtually all Courtyards, the AC had a hard time finding its way around the wall partition into the stuffy bathroom area, and my aging knees longed for a comfort-height toilet. Following an afternoon meal at the Columbia in Ybor City, my wife and I ventured down to the Courtyard restaurant for an evening snack. Both coming down with colds, we were hoping for some chicken noodle soup--or at least something broth-like--but had to settle for a heavy and creamy potato soup, along with splitting a tuna salad sandwich. The lady that waited on us was very nice. While eating, however, a piercing fire alarm went off several times, and the fire department actually made an appearance in the lobby. Nobody ever bothered to explain what was happening, and so we went to bed hoping we'd live to see another morning. Our room was located right next to a cleaning supplies storage room and right across the hall from an ice machine, which turned out to be a rather noisy location--including having someone who looked like a manager and a guard carrying on an early-morning conversation right outside our door. Oh, well, we found an iHop for breakfast a few blocks south of the hotel, along with a Barnes & Noble to cheer up my wife, and the airport was only a short drive away--which was our main objective.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 600AndyB
Thank you so much for staying with us and for the feedback on your most recent visit. I do apologize about the fire alarm going off and the staff not informing you of the all clear. I have already addressed this with my team, because as you mentioned it can be somewhat unsettling to not know everything is OK. I am also very excited to let you know that we are almost finished with our rooms renovation -that included all brand new bedding and air conditioning units! Please come back and visit us on your next trip to Tampa.
Winter Haven, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

After reading some reviews about the surrounding area, we were a little concerned about this hotel that our volleyball team had chosen. Not sure what those people were used to, but the hotel was in a normal 'off the interstate' area. We had no safety concerns at all. And the hotel was very nice and homey. It was freezing that weekend, so we didn't get to enjoy the central courtyard seating, but it was beautiful. As was the lobby/cafe area. Pool looked nice, too. When I saw we were placed in a room by the interstate, I was concerned. However once the door was shut, we didn't hear a thing. And we did have a tiny balcony, which was nice. The beds were great. The staff was great. We also ate at the little cafe. The food was ok, but very expensive. But when you're too tired to go anywhere, it was nice to have available.

We've never stayed in Tampa and wasn't familiar with the area, and were concerned about getting to the convention center, but it was a breeze. And all kind of food on Dale Mabry and Kennedy. After two days, I felt like a native!! This will be the place we stay for future volleyball tournaments!

Room Tip: If you ask for a room with a balcony, you may also want to make sure it's not on the interstate...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank awar58
Beverly M, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa Westshore/Airport, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us while you were in town for the volleyball tournament. I am so happy that you enjoyed our hotel, our staff, and the surrounding area. What a shame that the weather was too cold to relax by the pool in our Courtyard -but maybe next time the weather will be warmer. We are also starting our rooms renovation April 11th- so the next time you come our rooms will be even better. I hope your team did well in the tournament!
Suffolk, Virginia, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Upon arrival, the front desk staff was not familiar with what was being offered. She had told me that a Continental Breakfast was included and would be available, but in the morning they didn't offer a Continental Breakfast.

I had reserved my room through Priceline and was already paid for, but the front desk asked for a credit card for incidentals - which is expected. She ran my card through twice, and asked me for another since it wasn't going through. She ran my second card through and then asked me for my first one back and ran that one through again and told me the expiration date was coming up wrong. Okay, not my system - so not sure how that is my problem. She struggled for a few minutes with both of my credit cards and I think figured out how to manually fix it.

Room was average, not what I was expecting but good enough for sleeping. Went to the car to get some water and hang the parking pass so I don't get towed during the night, and just out the side door was a rather large rat laying dead on the sidewalk just outside the back door. Security guard came outside looking for it, and I pointed it out. Someone else must have reported it before I did. It was gone before I came back in from the car.

After the weekend, I noticed a charge on my card and wasn't sure what it was for, so I called. The person that I talked to said that it was their mistake that they charged me because the room was already paid for via Priceline but nobody was in that could take care of it (Tues, 7am) and assured me it would be taken care of.

A week later, I still see the charge and call back (Mon, 4pm). I talked to Beverly who again told me it would be taken care of, and she would call me back within 5 minutes to tell me that it would be credited. No call back. 2 days have now passed, and I called and ask to speak to Beverly (Wed, 2:30pm) and apparently there are 2 Beverly's because the one that I spoke with had no recollection of our conversation or the promise to call me back. And, THAT Beverly is gone for the day and would have to take care of it tomorrow. So its been 2 weeks now that they cannot seem to figure out how to take an unauthorized charge and recredit it back - even though I know that it only takes minutes to do it, as Beverly #1 promised it would take. Beverly #2 took my name and number (for the 3rd time) and again assured me that she will call Beverly #1 on her cell phone and will have her take care of the issue.

I'll be sure not to hold my breath.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dan P
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your recent experiences at our hotel. I would truly like to apologize on behalf of our team for the issues that you encountered while our guest, and after with the delay in correcting the charge to your credit card and following up with you. The credits can take 5-7 days to show on your account, so I can understand how frustrated you were to still see it. I am so sorry that you did not get a call to let you know that it was completed. This is not not typical of our hotel and staff and I can assure you that I have addressed it with the associate and shared your experience with our new Operations Manager so it can also be used as a re-training exercise so it does not happen again. I do apologize for the inconveniences we have caused you, and I thank you for your feedback.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

Well maintained, quiet, and secure. Good workout facility. The wirhlpool was large and the ambiance very relaxing. The location was right off the interstate allowing for convenient access to the airport but the rooms were relatvely quiet. The hotel grounds were landscaped.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Beverly M, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa Westshore/Airport, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you so much for the great review! I am so happy that you enjoyed our hotel and our facilities. We do try to give you that tropical oasis feeling in the Courtyard area so you can relax and unwind. We are also expanding our exercise room based on feedback from our guests, so I am sure you will enjoy it even more. Thank you again for staying with us.