“New favorite restaurant in Tampa!”
Review of Pelagia Trattoria

Pelagia Trattoria
Reserve with OpenTable
Pelagia Trattoria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #116 of 2,380 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Italian, American
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Located in International Mall at Bay Street
Description: Discover the best of Tampa fine dining at Pelagia Trattoria. Serving modern Italian cuisine created by an award-winning chef, our hotel's famous on-site Italian restaurant in Tampa, FL, features an open-air kitchen and classic Mediterranean décor.
Tampa, Florida
“New favorite restaurant in Tampa!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

The food and service were superb! The cheese and meat platter was phenomenal! I had the duck breast entree and my wife had the home made pasta, both of which were out of this world! Wish we had found this place sooner. Christian one of the sous chefs came out and spoke with us, making recommendations and answering our questions. A must in Tampa!

• Visited September 2013

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great Restaurant, Slightly Problematic Service”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I first visited this restaurant for dinner on the night of my arrival at the hotel. We had an exceptional experience. The server who had worked there for eight years was absolutely phenomenal. He was incredibly friendly and accommodating towards us. The food itself was wonderful, and I started off with the cheese and meat platter which was exceptional. Then, for my main, I ordered a half order of pasta with shrimp and grouper. The pasta was great although the portion of the half order was fairly small, but it was definitely enough food after having had the meat and cheese plate. While the pasta was wonderful, my one complaint about it was that I only had two shrimp in the pasta, so a few more would have been nice. Other members of my party ordered the pizza which they said was fantastic although one of their pizzas were burnt. the pizzas were a great portion size, and the two of them ended up sharing just one pizza after one was sent back. One pizza was definitely enough for two of them to share, and they were very accommodating about the one being burnt. At the end of our meal, the chef came out to apologize for the burnt pizza and even gave us free gelato and macaroons for dessert as compensation, so that was definitely a very nice gesture. Our service that night was absolutely wonderful, and we left having all felt as if we'd had a fantastic experience.

However, when I returned for breakfast the next morning expecting a similar experience to the previous night, I was disappointed. The food at breakfast was good; they have a nice buffet which some other members of my party ordered, and I had eggs Benedict. I was impressed with the food as a whole; although another member of my party who ordered an omelette said that it was slightly bland. However, the big problem that morning, and the reason that I was disappointed was the service. We hardly saw our server from the beginning of the meal to the end.The server often went into the back of the restaurant and was gone for a long time but came out with nothing. What was included in the buffet was not explained at all to us, and we didn't know if omelettes or drinks were included. Forks were missing from the table, but because the server was so highly absent, I had to take forks from a different table because the server was not around. When we did order juices, one of them was incorrect (we ordered an orange juice and a pineapple juice, and they bought two pineapple juices). And when we got to the bill, we were charged for three adult buffets even though it should have been one adult buffet, one kids buffet, and one eggs Benedict. Needless, to say it was an awful experience that morning, and I left no tip which is very rare for me as I am usually extremely generous. It was not even that busy as probably only 4-5 tables were full.

The next morning I made a complaint about the prior morning, and they were very nice about it. The hotel staff gave me the previous morning's meal for free, and the hotel supervisor offered to give me a free meal that morning and personally be our server. She was very attentive and nice, and we had a very different experience. It was very nice that they made up for the previous morning, but had we not had that experience, I'd have given this restaurant five stars instead of four.

• Visited July 2013
“Skeptical but wrong”
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

I am always a little leary of hotel restaurants due to less than stellar experiences in the past. However I was pleasantly surprised at the Pelagia Trattoria. The calamari appetizer was some of the best I have ever had and the half serving option of scallops and pasta was very good also. Don't let the fact that this in a hotel influence you too much. You will likely be surprised as I was.

Visited May 2013
Tampa, Florida, USA
“Great Food”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Had not visited in a while, the menu has changed but our old favorites like the octopus were still there. Way better than the usual hotel restaurant.

• Visited March 2013
Tampa, Florida
“Just not the same”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I have been here twice before, but it was a few years ago. Apparently the original chef has left for St. Louis and quite frankly, this time it was not the same. Appetizers were okay but not great. The shrimp was undercooked and the fried risotto unimpressive. The de-constructed Caesar salad was great as always. I ordered the special which was a beef risotto and it was awful. I should have sent it back. It was a gelatinous mess with poorly prepared and bland beef. My wife's short ribs with pesto barely tasted like pesto. Judging from the half-filled restaurant on a Saturday evening in the peak of tourist season, I wasn't alone in my sentiments. Not sure who the chef or management is now but clearly they have lost more than a step.

• Visited March 2013

Been to Pelagia Trattoria? Share your experiences!