“Okay For A Budget Hotel, But Bring Your Own Towels”

Baymont Inn & Suites Tampa Near Busch Gardens
Ranked #90 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Okay For A Budget Hotel, But Bring Your Own Towels”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

My daughters and I stayed here for two nights over the July 4th weekend. Upon checking in, the first thing I did was check the number of towels in the room based on all the reviews stating that there is never enough. Sure enough, there were only 2 towels for 3 people. I went back to the front desk & she took my name and room number & told me housekeeping would drop off an extra towel. Six hours later when we got back from Busch Gardens...no extra towel, which meant only 2 of us could shower. The next day I left a couple of bucks for housekeeping with a note requesting 3 towels, and she did leave 3. Since this is an ongoing issue, I don't see why they can't just purchase more towels. The towels themselves were the same quality you get at the dollar store, so it's not as if it would cost much to order more.

My daughters slept well in the bedroom with the door closed. Unfortunately I slept in the front room on the sofabed. The way the hotel is designed, almost all of the rooms directly overlook the pool area. The noise coming from the pool area was incredibly loud, and it went on into the late hours of the night. Fortunately I had ear plugs with me, but I still had a difficult time falling asleep. If you didn't need the sofabed, I don't think the noise would be a problem - it didn't bother my kids at all.

The room is bigger than most budget hotels, and included a mini fridge and a microwave. The channel selection was horrible - the only channel for kids was the Cartoon Network. There were very few channels to select from - maybe 15 or so. We didn't have any issues with bugs, and I thought it was reasonable clean for a hotel in this price range.

The hotel is halfway between Busch Blvd and Fowler Ave, so it's in an area that slightly better than Busch Blvd, but not as nice as Fowler Ave. It is in a much quieter area than all the hotels on Busch Blvd. I didn't feel unsafe getting back at 10p alone with my girls. Both times we were able to park very close to the lobby entrance when we returned.

We thought the free breakfast was bad enough that the second day we opted to eat breakfast at McDonald's. There was a variety of small boxes of cereal; hard boiled eggs; small, stale muffins; bread, bananas & apples, yogurt, and a waffle maker. The coffee was horrible.

I originally booked a room at Wingate by Wyndham on Fowler Ave for this trip, but decided I didn't want to spend that much money for a room we were hardly going to be in. If you are going to be spending the entire day at Busch Gardens, and only using the room to sleep in, then Baymont Inn is fine. It's certainly better then the Quality Inn on Busch Blvd that we stayed at last time. If we decide to go back to Busch Gardens again, I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Checked into room #1300, the carpet was disgustingly filthy, there was mold on the ceiling from water damage from upstairs room, the mgr moved us to another room. It was better but there's still mold in the bathroom, the carpets were dirty and there were bugs! There is NO room service as they advertise. The bar at the pool was NOT open for business! The pool was filthy with bugs, dirt, leaves. the mgr said its from the palm tree right by the pool. the truth is they didnt clean the pool! They advertise a heated pool... NOT heated! they advertise a gift shop... NO gift shop! The maid service was horrible, gave us fresh towels but not washclothes! The maintenance guy said "that's not mold, it's just mildew"! The mgr said "well it's not the Hilton"! Will never stay at a Baymont Suites or Wyndam property again as this was completely unacceptable!!

• Stayed July 2013
Lenexa, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

The room was okay. It had amenities you would want and enough room to sleep 5 if you use the sofa bed. There was a family reunion going on the night we stayed and they were all out enjoying the pool area. My kids were too intimidated to try the pool due to the large crowd, but it looked nice. The breakfast was also good.

The wifi was horrible. Everytime it connected it would immediately stop working. I called about it and she said all they could do was restart the router. It worked better maybe one minute then not again.

There were fire works set off at 10 pm July 6th in the parking lot. I put on the sound machine shortly after this and the kids and I slept fine but my husband was in the front room on the sofa sleeper and apparently there was a fight right outside our room and then the police came and handled it right outside our room.

Also when we were first going into our room this man passed by and stopped by us and stared at us. Made us very uncomfortable. No fault of the hotel of course but it may tell you about some of the clientele.

The breakfast was fine in the morning but again the family reunion people were there so it was quite busy. Again, nothing against the hotel.

The room was outdated except for a new shower.

The experience left me uncomfortable enough that I wouldn't recommend it. Oh and they added a fee of $1.50 at the last minute on my bill for the safe in the room we didn't use. Of course, not much money but never even mentioned until check out. Just another tagged on fee. The hotel was only around $80 for the night, but the area not too far from it was iffy.

Tamarac
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

5 minutes away from both Busch and USF. Great continental breakfast. Rooms cleaned daily. My only negative review is the wifi. Works well in the early morning and late night but very slow during the day.

Review collected in partnership with Baymont Inn & Suites