“Service That Lacks Focus”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Grillsmith Restaurant - CLOSED

Grillsmith Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Land O Lakes, Florida
“Service That Lacks Focus”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

This review is for the Grillsmith location in Carrollwood on North Dale Mabry here in Tampa. We have had the pleasure of visiting this location many times in the past. Most visits have met our expectations, yet this most recent visit made us question why spend our entertainment dollars here. It should be mentioned that the atmosphere is terrific and the bar and dining room are very comfortable. There is plenty of close parking and a very pleasant outdoor patio that during the cooler weather is just perfect.

This visit we decided to dine at the bar and were waited on by a young lady that was without focus. She was unsure of what wines were on hand and which were sold out. When we inquired on some of her favorite menu selections she gave vague descriptions at best. When we finally ordered our expectations were high. Previous dining visits had been generally positive. One selection this evening was the full rack of ribs, the other the Angus burger. The ribs while very flavorful, must have come from a marathoner pig! Almost meatless, yet the rub/sause was very tastey. We asked for additional bbq sause and after two different waitstaff visits it finally arrived. Only problem was our meal was finished, not much help there... Burger was grilled to order, yet the bun was way over toasted. If I had sent a picture of the bun to their executive chef I'm sure he would cringe at the sight and never have let it reach the dining room.

So if you want to take a gamble give this spot a try, we just might drive on by and check out some of the close by competition.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Kevin O

“Poor service....poor food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Waiter was invisible and the food was,tasteless. Our food took forever, the waiter never returned our table after taking the order. I even had to hail the manager for my check. He never solicited any feedback from me. The food was tasteless. Broccoli from a bag and instant mashed potatoes. My salmon was tasty but overall I was unimpressed by the run of the mill corporate chain.

Visited September 2013
Tampa, Florida
“service is getting bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We have been eating at Grillsmith on an almost weekly basis for several years. The service is generally good but we had a recent experience that caused us to leave without ordering. The hostess informed us that seating in the booths in the bar area was now self service and that we should seat ourselves and that we would be served by the bartender. We were povided no menus and a server was not assigned to our table. We were concerned because the bartender prepares drinks for the whole restuarant. Formerly the hostess would seat diners in the bar area , provide menus and a server would be assigned to the table or booth. After sitting for a while my wife went to the hostess stand for menus, we sat for a while without being served and then I went to the hostess to try to have a waiter assigned to our table. The hostess again explained that the bartender would be our server. We discussed the likehood of the bartender being able to prepare drinks at dinner on a Saturday night for the whole rstaurant and serve the busy tables in the bar area and we decided to leave. This was a formerly well run restaurant that maybe in decline.

• Visited August 2013
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

The food at this restaurant is outstanding. The Sirloin Steak was one of the best I have ever had. It was cooked exactly how I asked (well done), and was presented with a beautiful sauce on top. The servers were all very good and knowledgeable about the menu, wines, etc. I will undoubtedly visit when I am next in the Tampa area.

• Visited August 2013
Naples
“Great food, reasonable prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

Grillsmith has a wonderful menu with good variety. Service is quite good, well prepared and presented food. Good value.

Visited April 2013