“Tasty!”

Mangu Latin Cafe
Ranked #407 of 2,637 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Latin
Reviewed August 20, 2016

Tried this place for the first time and it was a total win. For $20 we got 1 drink (fresh mango juice) and 2 plates - 1 with 2 eggs, mangu, fried cheese and potatoes and 1 with 2 eggs, mangu, fried cheese and salami. Everything was really good. I will have to go back another day to try their lunch/dinner menu.

1  Thank Mailoha

Reviewed July 25, 2016

Don't let this modest storefront fool you, this place in a warehouse and construction supply area, is a gem. We went in mid-afternoon, and were told by Mr. Robinson, that there wasn't much left to serve us. He offered to make me a chicken dish from scratch. I was glad he did. My guy had the end of the soup-stew with rice and beans. Everything was flavorful, the portions huge. He cooks every Dominican dish with love, as he was taught by his family. You must get there by lunchtime, as he serves until his delicious creations are gone. Then he locks the doors. We will definitely return, when in Tampa.

Reviewed April 16, 2016 via mobile

My fiancé is Dominican and we can't find anything from his country in LA. This place is legit and has a great menu with many options. Loved the mangú! And biscocho piña!

Reviewed January 11, 2016

Great food, friendly staff. Is my go to place for a great Latin meal at a good price. Try the Sancocho, the Rabo (Ox Tail) is great too. Really, you can't go wrong with any choice. Give it a try.

Reviewed November 29, 2015

It's the small café that is in the same plaza as the Hertz Rent A Car. It's so easy to miss. You have to make a U-turn to get to it if you're coming from Brandon. It's worth the extra drive.

We visited for lunch on a Wednesday afternoon. They had a small selection that day. With that said, everything we selected was amazing. Everything was fresh and tasty. I was hoping to get some arroz con gandules. They only had white or yellow rice. We chose the yellow rice. I thought it was going to be the same old plain yellow rice. I was wrong. It was moist and flavorful. I could even taste (and see) the fresh recao leaves from the sofrito. Mom had the black beans and I had the pink beans. Both were delicious with all the familiar flavors from my Ita's kitchen. My Puerto Rican mom was in heaven once she tasted her Pollo Guisado. It had huge cuts of dark meat chicken still on the bone. It was exactly the way she likes it. I had the chicken with mushrooms that was cooked in a wine sauce. It was all very good. Even the platanos maduros were cooked perfectly (sweet as can be).

I ended up ordering a couple of chicharones and a beef empanada to go. I just couldn't pass them up. I shared the empanada with mom later on that afternoon. She was so impressed with the amount of picadillo inside of it. They definitely don't skimp on an anything. The flavor was spot on. You can definitely tell that the owner cooks from the heart. I'm looking forward to going back there again. Hopefully we will have the pleasure of trying their mofongo or fried red snapper one day.

Been to Mangu Latin Cafe? Share your experiences!