“Funky! Great people”

GP Gram's Place Hostel
Ranked #1 of 7 Tampa B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 17, 2014

You know, I haven't found that much hostels while travelling within Florida...so finding this place, even I was there while most of people in Tampa were in Xmas holidays so it was not crowdy, I was really suprised. I really liked the facility, that has been built around trees with a huge effort of handwork that gives to this place a unique character. People of the staff helped me a lot in finding good clubs where to spend the nights listening very good jam sessions and also suggesting alternatives to not being driving at night while partying. I stayed both ina private room as in a dormitory of 6 beds upstairs. Both solution were clean and confortable, always remembering you are in an hostel of course! Bathroom while ina private room is private, while with a dorm solution is shared and outside of the dorm. Both cases clean bathrooms and shower.
Owner built also a heated jacuzzi in the middle of the "lobby" that he used to switch on middel afternoon, for having a beer before dinner with a relaxing bath.
good place and even better people there.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 28, 2013

I’ve been skateboarding from Key West to Tampa and this was just the right spot to spend some down time. A super friendly, warm staff welcomed along with the owner Bruce who went above and beyond to accommodate me. This is by far one of the most unique places I have stayed at and I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Brian Z
Reviewed December 26, 2013

It locates in a silent suburb near a cemetery. I was terrified by the environment. Not convenient to the airport. The owner said that I was free to have the Chrismas food but several minutes later, she hide the expansive ones. The dorm is close to the living room and kitchen. You can hear outside clearly from inside.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Angela0423
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights while traveling solo to attend an academic conference. It's a fun and funky place. If your used to hosteling then you know the deal but most folks around Tampa have no idea what a hostel is. It's pretty easy to take the bus into downtown, but I'd recommend a cab for after dark. I think the fare from the convention center was around $10 or so. All around, I had a fantastic stay and met some great folks. I left with memories that I never would have made in a big hotel. Seems like if it was very busy it could be loud, but most hostelers are pretty respectful.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I stayed here for a couple of nights when in town for a music festival so I didn't do too much hanging around the place but the indoor shower/toilet next to the female dorm was clean and had good water pressure. The owner Bruce was a lovely fellow and very approachable, some friends of his gave me a lift to downtown which was very nice of them and saved me a bus trip. A light breakfast was provided which was a good bonus! Rooms were secure as is the property, so although it's not in the best part of town I still felt fine walking around during the day. I would stay here again if I was on a budget :)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Hayley Z
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I stayed at Gram's for three nights while in Tampa. I felt very welcome and safe there.
The hostel is in a residential area and I didn't have a car but had no trouble getting around using public transport. The 1 bus stops only a couple of blocks away and gets you downtown in less than 10 minutes. I'm not sure I'd walk around the area after dark though. Like others before me have said, it's a working class kinda area. Nevertheless, I felt totally safe walking around during the day and at Gram's at night!
If you're after somewhere clean and cheap with a good (included) breakfast, and you don't have to be smack bang in the centre of town, Gram's is the perfect place to stay.

Room Tip: The Country Room (female dorm) is right next to the lounge room, so if someone is watching TV and yo...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Hannah S
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I stayed for one night while I was in Tampa and Luis was so helpful and friendly. He made a spectacular dinner (at a great price -- $4.00 donation to the hostel) of chicken, arroz de espanol, green beans, red potatoes, and cuban bread. I'm told he does this once a week or so. It really added a wonderful touch to my stay, because one often needs a good, reasonably-priced meal, especially because there isn't really any food place within walking distance.

The bed was very firm and comfortable, room was clean. Christine was on-hand to help out as well with any needs. Bruce, the owner, is welcoming and warm. He likes baseball, so he was sitting with others watching the Rays game at his outdoor Tiki bar. It's a funky, cool place. They had bikes to use, so I went off to the liquor store for some warm beer (their fridge was out).

This is a great place to stay if you want to explore downtown Tampa and its museums, because it's really close (~2 miles). Gram's place is also directly off the #1 Tampa Hart bus, which runs every 1/2 hour. I'll definitely be back, and I'd recommend it to anyone who wants cheap, funky accommodations. Music-theme was very cool. Also, when I was there, there were awesome guests. We sat around drinking beer and watching guy TV (guys fixing cars, motorcycles), and it felt like a family (a nice one ;). Really relaxed and nice environment.

The only thing I'd change is the Country Music ladies dorm is right off the TV room. Quiet time starts at 11PM. I'd hoped for an earlier quiet time, but I had to be up early in the morning.

All told, really nice place. Oh, yes, and when it rains, it makes a wonderful, sleepy sound on the tin roof. Slept like a baby!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo