“If I could live there, I would.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gram's Place BnB GuestHouses\Hostel and Music

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tampa
Gram's Place BnB GuestHouses\Hostel and Music
You added Gram's Place BnB GuestHouses\Hostel and Music to your Saves list
Ranked #2 of 9 Tampa B&B and Inns
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“If I could live there, I would.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed at Gram's Place for 5 nights in October, and we could not have asked for anything better. As soon as we walked in the door, we could feel the welcoming vibe exuded from Bruce and his staff. If you are looking for true Southern hospitality this is the place. From coffee with the staff and guests in the morning, to an owner who genuinely cares about his guests and his business, and takes the time to get to know you, this may indeed be the best place we've ever stayed, anywhere. We're thinking of reasons to go back to Tampa just to stay there again.

Bear in mind, it is a hostel, and therefore isn't necessarily for everyone, but the rooms are clean, our bathroom worked, and there was breakfast included (as long as you make it yourself, and clean up afterwards).

In short, a great place to hang your hat while you're seeing Tampa!

Room Tip: Remember the address/nearby intersection of the place. Taxi drivers wont believe that there is a ho...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifriend

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Pointe-Claire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Gram's Place is really cozy, clean and fun.
Staff is very friendly, and Bruce is a great host.
I met people from Germany, Switzerland, France and Amsterdam and loved every minute of it.
If you are in the Tampa area this is the place to stay.

Lise

Room Tip: Jazz room is very nice, the Blue room as well...I loved the upper decks for private time and the spa...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hostel for 3 nights and I have to say, I've never seen anything like it. Very nostalgic and if you're a music lover you will appreciate the little touches throughout. The owner is extremely friendly and went above and beyond to accommodate us. This is an awesome place to stay on the cheap for a few days, and is pretty close to the interstate. It's cool if you like a social atmosphere where you can hang out in the bar area or in a shared living room area with other guests. No kids were there, most of the adults we saw were ages 35-50.

There are coded gates to get in to the property and the main doors where the rooms are. However, the surrounding area was very close to what I consider unsafe neighborhoods. There is a cemetery across the street, which some may find creepy. Sometimes you could hear phones or TV in a nearby room when trying to sleep, but mostly before 1am. If you want the most quiet, private room, I recommend the blues room. For me, I wasn't a big fan of sharing the bathroom though it was pretty clean and overall everyone was respectful of common space. The beds are old, and mattresses are too which can be uncomfortable for some. I'd suggest to bring your own pillows and towels. They do have a washer/dryer and shared kitchen on site.

The service was great and I liked the chill vibe for an affordable price. Depending on your standards, it can be a reasonable place to stay. Take the aforementioned in consideration when making your decision.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Ajalta
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

My friend and I worked at a summer camp and travelled to Tampa afterwards to visit Clearwater Beach nearby. This place is by far the quirkiest place you will ever stay, we absolutely loved it! When we arrived it was only 10 mins away from the train station in the taxi and cost about 10 dollars. You wouldn't like to walk it though if you have baggage!
We stayed in the 'Tin Palace' which was a tiny room with bunkbeds but it was great! The beds were comfy and it was like living in a tree house with painted walls and ceiling, and roof windows. Graham the owner and Lewis who helped run the place are so accomodating. We had such a laugh with Lewis! Graham let us borrow the bikes everyday for an evening bike ride to the shops, let us use the kayaks and took us to the river in the pouring rain, and drove us all the way to Clearwater Beach at a small fee! And when we wanted to use the outdoors jacuzzi, he cleaned it and then warmed it up and put bubbles in it for us which was lovely! They also cooked us the nicest BBQ on our first night.
Facilities are good, there's a fully operational kitchen with a cosy lounge area and several bathrooms. It's very homely! Breakfast is free and there are plenty of things to choose from, such as toast, cereals, eggs, fruit, pancakes. But be sure to plug the pancake grill in before asking Lewis why it isn't working haha.
The atmosphere is very friendly, we met 3 lads from Switzerland and 2 girls from Germany and all sat around the bar area with the music on in the evenings.
We absolutely loved this unique place and would advise anybody who wants to be a kid for a while and experience a different style of living to stay there! This place is definitely for the care free type who wants to let their hair down and enjoy life!

Room Tip: Stay in the tin palace if you're travelling with a friend, the bunk beds are cool! It's like...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

When we arrived for our weekend retreat, we were met by Bruce, the proprietor. He was quite nice, gave us the grand your of his unusual but wonderful atmosphere.
We had originally booked the adventure room..but decided that it was too much of an adventure for us...lol...although we were looking forward to looking at the stars at night.
We ended up staying in the Blues Room, which was quite nice and it felt like home.
Bruce gave us a map of Tampa so that we could easily find our way around.
The entire place is secluded with a privacy fence and it has security locks in place that make you feel safe.
The rooms were clean...there were no bugs...and we slept on clean sheets and had clean towels.
The WI-FI and TV were great to relax to in the evening....everyone was nice and polite.
There were washers and dryers onsite...everything to make you feel at home.
I recommend this Hostel to everyone that is adventurous and willing to have a grand ole time.
Bruce was doing some remodeling and painting while we were there and if we ever get the chance to get back down that way, we'll be excited to see the changes.
Peace to all.
Seth and Carol.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Snobelle65
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Let me begin by saying this - Gram's Place is a hostel rather than a hotel, so if you go expecting room service and all mod cons then you'll be disappointed. Also, it's in a quiet residential area, with on-street parking, so again, if you want a well-lit car park and night life outside your hotel, then this probably isn't the place for you. Thankfully, we'd read all the reviews and were more than happy with this before we arrived, so I'm not going to mark a place down on that fact alone. We were welcomed by Bruce, the proprietor, who was friendly enough and gave us the "grand tour" - it's the kind of place you need to see to believe. We had the "Jazz Room", which is one of the en-suite rooms which obviously gives you a bit more privacy for an extra cost (the in-room TV has cable too). The door to the room is quite thin, so you could hear everything that was going on in the hallway and kitchen outside. There was also a scrabbling noise at points during the night, but we think this might be down to the cat that lives on the tin roof and there was no evidence of any other "wildlife" (but who knows). The room was comfortable and clean, and it's fairly convenient for visiting Ybor City, Busch Gardens and the Raymond James Stadium (we got back to our room within 25 minutes of full time). This was a fun little stop that added a quirky element to our tour of South Florida.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Thorpeys
Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I am back often as I have fam here and hoped to find a cool place to stay. I am pretty tolerant, but dirty sheets gross me out, no top sheet and found a woman's hair pin in the bed along with a wet spot. I was so creeped out sleeping under the bedspread that who knows how many others have used since the last wash. Could hear snoring in the next room and some kind of critter in the walls or on the roof. Worst night of sleepless hell and I really needed a hot shower. No soap, I stood on the toilet and found an old used bar of Irish Spring and just made do trying not to rub up against the mildew on the shower curtain. $67 for this room when I could have had a good nights sleep using Hotwire for $47. Oh and sketchy hood, miracle the car was still there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family