GP Gram's Place Hostel
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewsjazz roomprivate bathspent nightshot tubwould stay here againbrucegramsbunkprivacymirrorflmattressconference
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Gram's place is one of the most unique places I've ever stayed- it just has this incredible hippy vibe to it and it is so rock 'n roll it hurts. Most of the guests were actually old hippies and the owner and his mate are very friendly if a tad unusual and a bit pervy at times (encouraging me to talk my pretty Swiss friend into getting into the hot tub and they say they have a 'European' attitude to nudity in the pool- if I was a girl I'd feel very uncomfortable about getting my clothes off in front of them!). Nonetheless the quirky vibe of the place warrants a stay here and they are good hearted people at the end of the day. They had a sometimes annoying habit of calling me 'English' for my entire stay- I don't even know if they remembered my real name but whatever, it's all good!

Facilities- I stayed in the dorm that looks like a train carriage (apparently). The beds are tiny and chances are you will be sharing with bugs- bedbugs, roaches, spiders etc, especially if you are on the bottom bunk which is actually on the floor. Bathrooms are ok I guess- they have outdoor showers too and the other rooms seemed really nice too with lots of random musical instruments lying around that you can have a go at. Certainly not a 5* hotel but you won't care really. They have a jacuzzi tub (if you can pursuade Bruce to fork out for the electicity to turn it on!) and they have beers available, sometimes they have live bands playing. The kitchen is adequate.

Negatives- you may feel uncomfortable if you are a young, attractive single girl, not that the owners are untrustworthy in any way but you may have reservations about walking around in a bikini for example. The place isn't the cleanest- you probably will be bitten by something during your stay and, though they advertise a jacuzzi, they never turn it on unless you ask them very nicely and are a group of about 4 or more people. The area is very sketchy- it is practially the ghetto and it is not safe to walk anywhere nearby on your own. It is miles away from the happening area of town but Bruce knows a taxi driver who will take you there for a reasonable price and pick you up.

To summaries- great vibe, great atmosphere that is 95% of the appeal of staying here- the other 5% being the good company and fun, easy going owners because the rooms aren't really up to much and they certainly aren't cheap. Stay here for a unique experience, meet cool people, watch a band then get the hell out of Tampa because it is a dump with absolutely nothing else to do when it isn't Gasparilla fest.

Room Tip: Stay in the train dorm if you want the interesting room- it does look like a train, sort of.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank PotterNo1
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Stayed here when in Tampa to see a concert. This was a fun place! Lots of night owls, hippies, bohemians and people hanging out by the bar area. Crazy dimensions inside the house/hostel area, but so fun to explore. This is not a Holiday Inn...expect to rough it a bit and bring your own toiletries. Also, not so great for little kids. Had a blast staying here and slept very well. FYI-I got a room with a private bathroom too.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I stayed in 50 or 60 motels during my trip across the USA, this is the one that was the most fun.
You're not going to be able to read your complimentary copy of USA Today over toasted muffins in the breakfast room but on the upside, but on the upside you won't be reading your complimentary copy of USA Today over toasted muffins in the breakfast room, you'll be having fun.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 9, 2012

This was do cool a completely different experience. Me and my boyfriend travelled America last year and we stayed here for a long weekend. Bruce was so cool really laid back and showed us a brilliant side to the south, he even gave us a ride in his truck to st. Petes beach after recommending we go there. I will never forget this experience very homely and interesting! If we are ever back in Tampa I know we will visit! Thanks

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Alfreton123
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Be careful when staying here. They were infested with bed bugs when I stayed on March 20, 2012. I contacted the owner and he said he would get right on the problem. It seemed like a nice place otherwise, but I didn't stay long. I took off as quickly as I could.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business