Review Highlights
Very cool idea! Best Movie Date!

The staff is really nice and efficient, we love going for a relaxing afternoon movie and sip on a... read more

Reviewed August 12, 2018
Kat S
Brandon, Florida
Absolutely amazing experience!

Nicely renovated, and well thought out!!! We celebrated 2 birthdays 🍰 🎁 and had an incredible... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

from $24.65
from $107.00
from $64.15
More Info
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed December 3, 2014

I saw the groupon for Studio Movie Grill and since I enjoy eating a full meal and having a beer or two during a movie, I figured I would give it a chance. I am now torn between wishing I hadn't and glad I did so I don't ever have to go back.

The groupon was for $6 (I bought 2 because I went with a friend) and I later found out regular tickets are $9. Not a big difference but I'll take savings when I can. We arrive as instructed on the groupon, 20 minutes before the show. After printing out our tickets, we walk up to the hostess stand. They tell us that we still have a few moments before the theater is open so we can wait in the lounge and someone will get us when it is ready. Fine by me. Lounge is just a large area with tables, tv's everywhere, and a nice bar. We sit for a few minutes and then an employee walks by the tables and states that anyone here to see our movie (Catching Fire) should follow her. It felt a bit like a cattle call.

We walk to the opposite end of the theater (it is a huge complex with a lot of screens). As we walk, we see employees everywhere darting in and out of theaters. At least 5 of them tell my friend and I "Welcome to Studio Movie Grill". I am all for being greeted, but it was overkill, especially since the employees could see other employees greeting us before they would greet us.

So we get into our theater and notice that the floor is flat, as in its not stadium seating. Each seat/row is level. So if you are not sitting in the middle/back of the theater, you will be straining your neck because the screen is set pretty high in the wall. Luckily we were nearish to the back so no need to strain our necks. We find the seats we reserved and have a seat. The aisle's are wide and the seats are comfy but the tray we will use for our food/drinks doesn't move. Its set where it is so its a toss up whether you are sitting too close, too far, or just right so it doesn't feel awkward to stretch for your food. I have long arms so I wasn't too bothered by it, but it wasn't the most comfortable. There is also a call button on each tray, like a flight attendant button, that signals you would like the server to come to your seat. I overheard that if you accidentally turn it on during the movie you can push it again, within 30 seconds, and it wont register in the system.

Our server was very nice and helped us with the menu. There were a good amount of options but nothing really stood out as special. I ordered a beer, the bbq burger (only option is well done) and got the app of cheese fries. My friend ordered a glass of wine and the bbq chicken pizza. As the theater started to fill up before the movie began more servers came in to attend to everyone. It's a decently large theater so all the chatter got a bit loud but I understand and accept that. My cheese fries come out before our drinks do and they were ordinary cheese fries..melted cheese and large steak fries with bits of bacon on top. I guess I had hoped for a little better but oh well. Our drinks finally come as the lights dim. The wine glass, which cost around $8, was maybe a quarter full. Our seat neighbor even laughed and commented on how little was in the glass.

As the movie plays, although the theater lights are off, the steady stream of servers with flashlights bringing people their order keeps the place fairly bright. Most of the servers tried to duck if they needed to walk in front of your seat to get to someone else down your aisle but no matter how hard they tried or how low they were, it was distracting. Our food comes and due to the darkness I can't check to make sure everything is there or it looks edible but after some investigating I accept it is the burger I ordered. It came with lettuce (shredded), tomato, and onions on a "specialty" bun (not special). It was alright....when drenched in bbq sauce. I had a slice of my friends pizza and it wasn't bad, decent to almost good. The crust was a bit too fluffy for my taste but overall not a bad effort on the pizza.

So the movie is playing and servers are constantly walking up and down the aisles. If they had built the seats stadium style the servers would have been WAY less distracting. Halfway through the movie I go to use the restroom. Bathroom is clean but on the way there and back 6 employees greet me and welcome me to Studio Movie Grill. More overkill. I started trying to avoid getting into their line of sight but only so much I could do walking down the hallway.

The bill came while the movie was still playing which meant more distractions from the servers as they fumbled with each parties bill. Total was not terrible...but not worth what I ate in my opinion. As my friend and I walk out of the theater after the movie and down the hall toward the exit, you guessed it, more greetings from employees. This place puts Moe's to shame with how much they greet you and I don't think that is a good thing.

Overall, I understand what Studio Movie Grill is trying to do and that is maximize their profits. There are a ton of theaters with a lot of seats in each and they are making so much money because of that....which is amazing to me since they have an army of employees working there that have to pay. They seem to only care about the bottom line. Obviously in the end, any business needs to make money to survive, but it just didn't cut it for me or my friend. The food is ordinary, the drinks are ordinary, the theater was constantly busy even during the movie, and the employees were overly friendly. I'm sure this would be a fun place for families with younger children (because it's cheap and the kids would probably like eating a pizza/chicken fingers during a movie) but I can't see anyone over 21 actually enjoying this place. It's definitely not for me.

TL:DR Go to Cinebistro if you want to have an enjoyable movie dining experience. It's worth the higher ticket price.

Reviewed November 14, 2014

I attended a sneak preview at the brand new Studio Movie Grill last night. It was a wonderful experience. They have theatres set up with little trays so that you can eat whilst you watch a movie. Upon entering, the first thing I noticed was that it was HUGE. The theatres are on one side and a bar/restaurant area is on the other, so you don't have to eat in the theatre if you don't want to. Nice touch. As you enter, there are touch screens so that you can purchase your own tickets or there is a person who can do it for you a little further down. There is no general seating, everyone has a seat which they select themselves.

I waited for my friend in the bar/restaurant area and noticed that they had plenty of staff on hand. Several were taking tests on the menu. The theatre has big screens that tell you what film is playing in what theatre and also how long it will be until it starts or ends. I'd never seen this before but what a great idea. They also had other screens over the bar telling you what food and drink specials they have daily. I have to comment on the courteousness and friendliness of the staff. The manager asked me if I wanted a drink whilst I waited and many of the other staff said hello. The lady who helped me select my seats was super nice.

I made a trip to the ladies room and it was very clean and also large, which is nice.

When we went into the theatre, a staff member helped us find our seats and since we had already looked at the menu, we knew what we wanted. Our server was Shay and she was outstanding. Friendly, personable and very funny. They have a special where you can have an appetizer and two entrees for $25 and can add a dessert for an additional $5. We settled on a half order of cheese fries, coconut crusted chicken tenders and fries for my friend and a blackened chicken salad for me.

Now, I've been to other cinema draft house kind of places and their menus leave a lot to be desired. Reheated frozen pizza, greasy chicken tenders, microwave popcorn, etc. I have to say I was skeptical about a place that offered what looked like higher end items at higher end prices.

I need not have worried. The cheese fries were yummy, covered with a type of cheese sauce (not melted cheese, but very good), bacon bits and scallions. They came with ranch dressing. A half order was just enough. My friend's chicken tenders were delicious, meaty and covered with a slightly sweet coconut crust. They came with honey mustard sauce and fries. My chicken salad was amazing. Plenty of chicken with greens, black beans, corn, tortilla strips and a delicious slightly spicy dressing. This is restaurant quality food. Delicious and ample amounts. Even though we didn't really need it, we ordered a dessert to share. The Ghirardelli brownie sundae was a religious experience. Plenty big enough for two, it came with a large brownie split in half, two scoops of ice cream (we got one chocolate, one vanilla), and two homemade cinnamon tortilla crisps. The plate was drizzled with chocolate and caramel sauce. Oh. Mah. Gawd. It was a struggle but we manfully (or womanfully, in our case) choked it down. Blissfully sated, we waited for the movie to start.

I will mention that we ordered our dinner before the film began, as I tend to wear whatever I'm eating, especially in the dark. However, if you want to order food or drinks, it's available during the movie as well. Each seat has a service button on the tray that will bring someone to you immediately. Most of the people in our theatre chose to eat first, it seemed.

This is where my review went from five stars to four and I believe it will be an easy fix. At several intervals during our showing, our theatre shook like a train was coming. I mean the walls literally shook, and there was this bass noise. It was obviously coming from the theatre next door, where they were showing Interstellar. The first time was interesting but by the fifth or six, it was annoying. When you pay nine bucks to watch a movie, you don't expect to feel like you are at intervals experiencing the onslaught of a tornado.

All in all, it was an awesome experience and I am definitely looking forward to making a return trip.