“Not what I expected for a Starwood property” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aloft Tampa Downtown

Aloft Tampa Downtown
Ranked #45 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
“Not what I expected for a Starwood property”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2014

I came for one night on a spontaneous trip. My plans where to enjoy Tampa after I checked in and the next day head over to Ana Maria Island. I called in the night before to make sure my reservation was showing and to get more information about the hotel. The girl that picked up sounded like she was annoyed that she had to answer the phone. She placed me on hold for 7 minutes when I decided to hang up and call back. I called back and spoke with a man. He was pleasant Upon check in, the gentleman at the valet was very friendly and courteous. He helped a bit with my bags and welcomed me to the hotel. When I got to the check in desk, the girl said a cold welcome and asked for my last name. I tried to make her laugh a bit (maybe she was having a bad two days) but she didn't even crack a smile. Even though she wasn't saying anything rude, I felt she was being rude (LIKE COME ON, YOU WORK IN THE HOSPITALITY BUSINESS!!) She placed my keys on the counter, told me the Wifi passworld (which was very nice of her) and said the elevator is to the left. That was it. I had so many questions about the hotel and suggestions on where to eat but I didn't even bother. It was disappointing and sad. I am comparing the check in to other Starwood hotels, like the Westins' and Sheratons', I am sorry but they set the bar high for me so I expected the same at this hotel. The rooms are very small but I am sure that's just the theme of the room. The room was clean and comfortable. The walls are thin so I heard the couple next door have a "pillow fight". I had to step out. The river view was sweet. At check out, it was a different girl but same level of service. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anybody that I love. The rating for this hotel on TripAdvisor is overrated.

Room Tip: Just don't stay.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Roslyn R
crystalrivera, Director of Sales at Aloft Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Aloha Roslyn!
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback to us. Please know we have passed on your concerns to the management staff as they will be sure to address them with their team. We would like to express that what you experienced is not the norm for our hotel as we typically get ravs and compliments about our staff and their customer service. We hope that you would stay with us again and experience the true Aloft that we are.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
F. Lauderdale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

This is the third time I've stayed at an aLoft property and I really enjoyed it. I was in town for a conference and stayed here only one night. The front desk staff was very friendly and attentive and the property (being brand new) was in beautiful condition. The lobby and bar are modern and welcoming with a pool table, magazines, and great music. One thing I found refreshing was this property didn't seem to have many of the "growing pains" usually experienced during the first few weeeks of opening, and if they did, as a guest I couldn't tell. The room it's self was spacious and the bed was amazing. I didn't want to get out of bed in the morning! The bathroom was very large and the blinds in the room were electric, that was cool! The pool area at this hotel is truly beautiful right in the middle of downtown, the furniture is chic and WXYZ bar makes great cocktails. Overall, friendly staff, clean accommodations, and great location. I'd reccomend it!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
      Location
Aloha HotelInsider!
We are delighted to hear that your stay was amazing! We also appreciate you pointing out how our hotel for being so new was not going thru many growing pains as most new hotels. We also love that you enjoyed the whole layout of the hotel from the bar, lounge area, pool deck to the rooms. We are extremely proud to say that we are very different than your typical cookie cutter hotel...which totally works in our favor. Thanks for being a loyal Aloft guest!
Shalimar, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

Staying at a newly opened hotel always has some risk, but not in this case.
The hotel is pristine, as you'd expect but the staff are very efficient and welcoming, and everything just works.
It's very centrally located within the down town area. All parking is valet, which works fast and well.
Rooms are modern and ideal for a business stay with all amenities you would want and expect.
Wifi is free and seems to work well.
The bar area is comfortable and the service is fast and friendly.
I can't fault the hotel in any way and am particularly impressed to see its polished performance after only two weeks.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Aloha Martino52!
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are pleased to hear that your stay with us was amazing. As you stated, we offer free wifi - which by the way, is the fastest in Downtown. In fact, within a year, we'll be one of the first hotels where you can bypass the front desk and get into your room via your cell phone. Thanks again for the feedback and we hope to see you again soon!
Tampa, FL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

OK, so I will admit to having a fair amount of grey hair and not fitting the millennial demographic that Aloft seems to favor. We stopped in for a glass of wine. Can you imagine, wine being served in plastic glasses? In addition, red wine being served in a plastic glass that is not large enough to give it a good swirl? Finally, the wine by the glass selection was anemic...a half dozen choices of white and red...and nothing particularly noteworthy. We've not stayed at the hotel, but they are proud of the fact that the entire large lobby area is a super-sized bar, with a plastic and chrome décor. Looks like an ideal place for millennials to gather after work, as long as they don't mind poor wine selection in plastic wine glasses.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank EdfromTampa
crystalrivera, Director of Sales at Aloft Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Aloha EdfromTampa! First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to submit a review on our hotel. We appreciate your feedback regarding our wine list and will be sure to look into this further. Please know, since being open we haven't had much complain on our wine list which we carefully hand selected. Regarding serving the wine in plastic cups, due to safety reasons, we do serve wine in plastic cups when outside on the pool deck. If by chance a glass were to break by the pool, someone could possibly get hurt. Thankfully, the lounge has tons of amazing views where if drinking wine in a glass is a must, you can always sip and chill there. Once again, thanks for the feedback and talk to you soon!
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

I recently stayed at this new hotel for two nights.

Great view! This is a new, chic hotel and my first time at the Aloft Brand hotel.

We enjoyed the rooms, the views from the bar, gym and pool, and found the staff to be nice.

Bar was lively and we enjoyed it.

Hotel is located right downtown (near University of Tampa & some nice restaurants) and i was able to walk around at night.

Very impressed and will be back!

Room Tip: Get a room facing the river!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hello Travel20202014! Thanks for the amazing feedback. As you stated, our hotel is conveniently located near the University of Tampa, restaurants and several other great spots. As you also mentioned, we not only offer guests a great location but also amazing views. Whether you're on the riverside or facing the urban view, you just can't go wrong! Thanks again for the feedback and hope to see you again soon!
Sarajevo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

In the heart of downtown Tampa, walking distance to most attractions. Rooms are spectacularly clean, quiet, and comfortable (especially the bed), with a spacious walk in shower, and friendly local staff. The pool overlooks the river and has a view of the beautiful University of Tampa. Sunsets here are priceless. Great value for the location.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Aloha MsGemSeeker! Thanks for taking the time to submit a review based on your past stay with us. It's great to hear that you were able to enjoy yourself while here. As you stated, we are centrally located in the heart of Downtown. We have several restaurants, museums and much more all within walking distance of the hotel. Not to mention, we offer amazing waterfront views and priceless sunsets. Thanks again and hope to see you again very soon!