“Second time is just as good as the first”
Review of Malio's

Malio's
Reserve with OpenTable
Malio's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #126 of 2,581 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This was my second time at Malio's. Both times were with a groupon or some other similar discount. Both times with my girlfriend. Both times were terrific. For me. My girlfriend was hugely disappointed. But, you can read her review for that.

First time was a NY Strip. This time I got the 12oz filet and a baked potato. Like last time, the steak was terrific. Not cooked perfectly, but it was an immensely thick cut of meat, so getting it medium would have been tough without overcooking the outside or butterflying it. Since I didn't ask for it butterflied, I'm not going to complain about it being slightly under cooked in the center.

I love their steaks here. I love their baked potatoes here. This is a great steakhouse, I don't care about the bad reviews. They are crazy. And yes, I have been to others - Morton's, Fleming's, Peter Lugers in NY, McCormick, Palm. I have never been to Burns, so I can't compare there.

The service this time was okay. Server took her time getting to us and then coming back, but it was adequate.

I'm deducting a star only because I can't give it 5. All of the steakhouses I mention above, with the exception of Palm which I didn't enjoy, are better. Granted, only 2 of them are in Tampa - Palm and Flemings - but when I've been to some of the best steakhouses, it's tough to put Malio's on the same level, especially when my girlfriend has not liked her food both times we've come here. I probably shouldn't let her food affect my review, but the fact is, the best meals are the ones when everyone enjoys it. That said, if I could, I would give it 4.5, and only deduct the 1/2 star for my girlfriend's food. As it is, I am rounding down because those other steakhouses are better.

If you're interested, my girlfriend has gotten a seafood and a seafood pasta item, and both were very disappointing. So if you come to Malio's, stick to the beef.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

While the food, service and surroundings are adequate for a nice dinner Malio's left me underwhelmed. There are other steak houses in Tampa with better atmosphere, food and service. Examples - our server, while friendly, left us unattended several times for longer than we prefer (and we don't like constant attention so this means a long time), my steak was not cooked as ordered, and seeing the TV screen on in the bar from the dining area detracts from the dinner experience. I had also mentioned when I made the reservation that this was a birthday/anniversary celebration but no mention was made of that fact. It would have been a nice touch to welcome us with a "congratulations" when we arrived since we had chosen this particular restaurant to celebrate at but that didn't happen.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I was here with a large group, and some liked their meals. My sea bass was delicious and a nice large portion. My boyfriend's rib eye was tough and overdone. When he complained, they were polite. The problem is there are so many great steakhouses in Tampa, we demand cosistnency and this place misses the mark. It's also pricey and most things are a la carte. The location downtown is convenient for a pre-show dinner, you just need some good luck with your meal.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

This restaurant has been around Tampa for awhile, and it is known for its steaks. However, when we visited my wife and I had two different chicken entrees, which were outstanding. The service was efficient and gracious, and we were made to feel welcome. Although there was entirely too much dressing on my salad, everything was made wonderful by the wine. I selected a glass of mid range pinot noir. I expected that I would be served the wine from the bottom of an opened bottle and that the wine would be warm (I hate warm wine). I was wonderfully surprised when I tasted the wine, which was obviously fresh from a new bottle. Moreover the wine was slightly chilled (the way a good pinot should be). I was amazed and gratified.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Friends raved about Malio's, not sure why. Waitress was very nice but not very good. She got our wine order wrong, mixed up my son's medium rare steak with my rare, and forgot side dishes. The chef overcooked my wife's steak from medium rare to medium well. Then, for our party of 6, they added an automatic 20% tip--I thought that was for parties of 8, and it wasn't a 20% night. Atmosphere was nice but all else average at best. For the price we expected much better. Go to Charleys or Bern next time.

Been to Malio's? Share your experiences!