SS American Victory Mariners' Memorial and Museum Ship
Ranked #36 of 197 things to do in Tampa
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Very disapointed with this tour! Bought a groupon and wished that I had saved my money! Had to pay $6.00 to park in the aquarium. This ship is not for anyone with a physical disability. They need to have a tour guide to inform people of what this ship was all about. There was a man washing down steps on the upper deck, there was water everywhere dripping down. We got turned around and didn't know where the exit was. It is old and very musty and very boring! Don't care to ever go back to see it again.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We finished with our trip to the aquarium and decided to make the very short walk over to the SS American Victory. However, looking back we probably should have saved the $35 and grabbed a nice meal.

It doesn't have much of a museum feel and many areas that were off limits were not clearly identified. Chains were missing and it seemed like pieces of paper were taped here, there and everywhere. We also had someone following us around into every part of the ship we visited that gave the impression we were being followed and watched. Tape with arrows on the ground that we were instructed to follow were either not there, worn or made no sense.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the history of the ship and those who worked on her but I feel that the ship is not being presented in a way which really tells a story. When I go to a museum I expect to learn and become informed about some things. I learned nothing about the ship or stories of those on board of her.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Better for an older crowd. It's still a functioning ship and hasn't been given much of a museum conversion. I have a better appreciation for merchant marines, young kids won't so much.

1  Thank David C
Reviewed February 12, 2014

This was a nice basic place to visit to see our US history hands on. The ship would be amazing to visualize in it's primetime. Many personal touches throughout the ship. The weather & years has paid it's toll on the ship and lifeboats. Location is a bit tucked into the port between cruise ships. Would be a great place to go while waiting to board a cruise, within walking distance and not much time needed to accomplish. Great piece of history that many generations would enjoy to see. Discounted rate of only $5 for any Vet - but bring your ID.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

The museum was interesting. We enjoyed seeing all the different levels of the ship. However, there wasn't much information provided. It is a different attraction, but could be a lot better.