“WOW!! is an understatement”

SS American Victory Mariners' Memorial and Museum Ship
Ranked #37 of 197 things to do in Tampa
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I must say I was a little nervous about going to this museum but let me tell you I was completely WRONG.

This is one of the neatest military museum's I have ever been too. My husband and I very much enjoyed the floating self- guided tour. You can go all over the ship including the engine room. I never thought a 70+ year old ship would be in such great condition.

A Must see well worth the $10 admission

6  Thank Psychosam

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Found a Groupon for admission to this place and thought since we were in Tampa, we may as well give it a try. It was neat and my family enjoyed it, but it's not a place to spend much time. We were in and out in about 15 minutes. No tour guides, and not too much info, but was neat for my kids who had never been on a military ship.

2  Thank AmyJoPeterson
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Its definitely cool to see a military vessel docked at the port-but in all honestly, there is nothing worth seeing on/in this ship.

Recently we went on a "cruise" on this ship. Tickets were $99 each. Looking back on it, I told my wife that its not worth $5 for the boring and uneventful 4 hours that I had to waste being stuck on this ship. .

The "cruise" consisted of a very unorganized stroll through the bay. The event organizers basically invite 4-5 vendors to sell food/snacks on the top deck for $7-$10 for a meal. You can buy soda or beer for $2/$3. Bottom line, they promise "big time music" and refreshments. Which translates to 3 middle-aged woman (with decent voices) on one side of the ship and a high school band (literally) on the other side of the ship and a thermos of coffee tucked away in one of the interior rooms.

Again, drive by this ship, take a few photos while it is docked. Don't even bother with the self guided tours for $10 during the week while the ship is docked.

6  Thank Joel K
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I always enjoy visiting military museums, and this one did not disappoint. It's a self-guided tour, and takes about and hour to see all the main areas. Admission is only $10, which is very reasonable. There are a lot of narrow passageways and steep stair, so keep in mind if you have mobility limitations. I wish I could make it back to Tampa for their cruise on 16 November. There aren't many museums you can actually ride.

1  Thank AeroCat2000
Reviewed September 19, 2013

This ship is not as glamorous as battle ships and cruisers, but what an honor to be able to wander around and learn a great deal of history. It was not made for battles but to carry cargo; so the reason it had guns on board was strictly for defense purposes. Nevertheless, this type of ship was just as important as submarines and destroyers. The day we were visiting, there were several volunteers willing to answer any questions we might have and they all seemed to be veterans who have served our country and are now so willing to protect the history. Very enjoyable experience. I would recommend bringing some water since it gets pretty hot in the cargo hold.

2  Thank llh007