SS American Victory Mariners' Memorial and Museum Ship
Ranked #35 of 196 things to do in Tampa
Reviewed December 16, 2011

My dad served on a duplicate ship as a merchant marine during WWII. For his 85th birthday we visited this ship....which is what he wanted to do....We are all sad and disappointed in the condition of this ship. It is somewhat of a 'museum'...but I honestly have never see a museum in such sorry condition....and honestly I felt badly that my dad had to walk away with such a tarnished picture. As we walked away, he called it a rusty hunk of metal....It is not cared for although the staff told us that the outside was recently painted....Wondering why the government doesn't do a better job of preserving it....
Sad, sad, sad!

Reviewed November 30, 2011

My husband and I found our visit informative and employees very friendly. We caught up with a small group and a volunteer guide who meanders around the ship and answers any questions. It was clearly explained that the tour is self-guided with lots of exhibits and information to read and photos to amaze. The ship is not meant to dazzle, it allows you to see firsthand how our Merchant Marines lived and worked. Of course the exhibits are old, they are supposed to be! Leave the shiny and new to a cruise line. The only caution is that some of the stairs are steep and you do have to be careful walking through the doorways.If you are a true history buff, the ship is worth a visit. Thank you to all the hard working volunteers who make it possible.

2  Thank Vettegirl03
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Until you stand in the engine room and look down three stories, you might not understand how an old war ship can be considered an attraction. I found myself imagining the past and what life must have been like for the sailors on board. You really get the sense that the ship might lift anchor and haul off to sea at any minute. It is kept seaworthy and takes two voyages a year. If you are looking to kill two hours with your kids, or just happen to like learning more about American history, then you should give this outing a try.

Reviewed September 18, 2011

My boyfriend and I are both lovers of history. So when I saw a deal for this, I snapped it up. I feel that any real promotion of this ship, is a little premature. I think this place can and will eventually be fantastic. But right now, it was just so/so. They only offer tours to groups of 10 or more. I would've paid to have someone tell me what I was looking at, give me a story or two, and put me on my way. There were articles to read in all of the inside parts of the ship. But they were articles, not snips. A little too much for me. On the outside parts of the ship, you were on your own to guess at what you were looking at. A suggestion for the staff - 1 guided tour on Sat and Sun and people will come. We both wanted to learn more than we did. Visit was less than an hour and we saw everything. Overall the attraction is good, but it'll take time and money to get it to great. I wouldn't say save your money, because it was an interesting way to spend an hour or so. There is a young man at the reception desk that was very welcoming and nice. He really gives the place a warm feel. Other than that, we saw 2 other people that worked there? Looking forward to what this place will look like in a few more years! Also, one thing they should point out is that there is free parking, people don't have to park in the garage!

3  Thank AdventureEveryday
Reviewed September 18, 2011

This was a nice trek for the whole family. American Victory is right behind the FL. Aquarium, in the midst of cruise terminals. They DO have their own free parking...you don't have to pay the $6 to park in the Aquarium lot. if driving past the aquarium towards the aquarium parking, take the first right (two signs for Amer. Victory) and head towards the back/water. parking is limited but is available. AV website said they were open 12p-5p this day we went but were running short on volunteer staff so opened a few minutes late which was fine. Young man at the checkin was nice and amusing. We only saw one volunteer when we were wandering about...he was an older gentelman, very kind. Self-guided tour fine, is musty and stuffy and hot inside (check out he engine room if you dare! I don't care for heights so standing on those grates was a bit scary!) but what an accurate portrayal of how it must've been in the day! Cool breeze on the water kept us cool when walking outside and up high. Kids and adults alike really enjoyed. Lots of climbing and narrow stairs...a good workout! If you've got an annual pass w/MOSI, the Aquarium, Zoo etc. you can get 1/2 price tickets thru the museum reciprocal program. A good deal. They're doing renovations tho and rely solely on donations and ticket prices so all goes for good cause.

4  Thank travelfamily9